INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE  (Read 30571 times)

jweisler

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re:POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2004, 09:49:03 am »

I am having difficult getting my Outlook contacts to show up on the iPOD.

I go to my computer and open the IPOD (H) drive.  Then I dragged my vCARD files from OUtlook Contacts to the "Contacts" folder on the (H).  They all go in.

But they do not show up on my iPOD.  Am I doing something wrong?  Am I supposed to do it through MC?  They are in that folder, but when I eject the iPOD, they are not there.

CautionESPN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2004, 11:56:26 am »

This really has nothing to do with Media Center.  Take a look at http://www.ipodlounge.com for information and tools that can help you accomplish this.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2004, 04:52:54 pm »

Everyone,

10.0.71 is on its way. It includes......

13. Fixed: Problem sending tag info to portables with a '|' character.
14. Fixed: Playcount and Rating synching to MC from Portables.
15. Fixed: "MC not responding" message during initialization of Portables.

balcy

• Recent member
  • Sometimes, the bear wins...
Smartlist: compare iPod to library?
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2004, 05:11:32 pm »

There has to be some way to compare the tracks on an iPod and what is in the library. After several successful synchs I noticed I suddenly had 70 tracks more on the iPod than in the library but have no way to see what is missing (or not removed).

How would I go about creating a smartlist to do this. It would have to compare the library with the iPod then show what is not in both locations. I am using MC 9.1.316 and a 3G 40 GB iPod.

Thanks,
Dave

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2004, 05:14:57 pm »

Here is one easy thing to try -- show the "filename" field on the iPod view and then sort by filename. I had some oddities like you and discovered that I had a bunch of songs listed that had no files on the iPod (and they obviously wouldn't play).

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2004, 05:26:08 pm »

Everyone,

10.0.71 is on its way. It includes......

13. Fixed: Problem sending tag info to portables with a '|' character.
14. Fixed: Playcount and Rating synching to MC from Portables.
15. Fixed: "MC not responding" message during initialization of Portables.

Did the recent discovery of the Audible workaround (thanks for finding that, by the way) get you any closer to a fix?  Do we still need to try the workaround with the upcoming build?

Thanks,

Larry

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2004, 05:54:11 pm »

I can confirm that this build has successfully transferred my ratings over.

However, the "estimated space remaining" is still hopelessly wrong.  For instance, I've just done a sync of a full iPod (27.8 GB full) where no tracks had changed since I last synced.  Hence the space remaining should have been exactly the same as it was at the time I synced (about 70MB).  Nope, MC reckons that after my sync I would have about 27.8 GB remaining.  ?

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2004, 06:05:12 pm »

Yep, the estimated space remaining is a bit funky. It told me I'd have 18.5 gig free after syncing...

Aside from that, everything is working well.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2004, 09:33:34 pm »

me too with the estimated space thing.

Also I've noticed another disparity:
In the ipod view there are lots of songs with negative values for the last played date. I know that I should reinitialize and resynch fresh, but for now I just tried synching from my library without the "Synch ipod info to MC" checked. I figured that any info on th ipod would be overwritten by MC if it were different. But that didnt happen. All the negative last played values remained.

Does that mean that if there are other disparities, in other tag info, that MC wont align the files on the ipod to match? Or is it just because I have some bizarre negative values?

I will reinitialize and resynch afresh when I have time.

Also, can you confirm that now, if I move a files around my hard drive but leave all of its tag and filename info intact, MC will be able to find it when synching ipod info to MC.

Thanks a lot,
Bri

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2004, 10:27:42 pm »

Just sync'd with 10.0.71 and used the Audible workaround. Yea! Houston, we have lift off!

Oddly, at the end of the sync, I had one file that came up with an error message -- error number 23. What is that?

Is there a list of the error codes somewhere?

MikeW

• Recent member
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2004, 10:28:47 pm »

I just downloaded and installed build 71.  Ratings changes that I iPod are being uploaded to MC, as well as play counts and last played.  However, I'm seeing the following issues:

1) The last played time is off by 1 hour as shown in MC.  I've double checked that the iPod and PC are configured to be in the same time zone (US Eastern).  I've also tried un-checking the "Automatically sadjust clock for daylight saving changes" on the time-zone applet in XP.

2) Changes made to ratings in MC are not downloaded to the iPod.

3) I'm also seeing that the available space after sync is out-of wack.  

40GB G3 iPod
Windows XP Pro
MC 10.0.71

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2004, 10:30:02 pm »

Oh, also, Larry is right, the Initializing does work. It just takes a long time and seems to get stuck. But this time I just walked away and decided I'd let it take however long it wanted and it did eventually finish.

I have a 40gig iPod which was full when I did the Initialization.

MartinH

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2004, 03:52:09 am »

Regarding the initialisation I have a 30gb iPod with about 25gb worth of tunes, it took ages and came up with "Not Responding" during this time no communication occurs with the iPod (the circular icon on the pod indicating disc activity did not appear) I gave up after about 20 mins as I had to go to work so I ended the task and no initialising had been done - all tunes were intact.

This is with 71.

SteveG

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2004, 10:09:09 am »

Everyone,

Space available in the synch is fixed tonight. In regards to intialization taking a long time, is this considerably longer than a week or so ago (pre new synchronization changes)?

Larry,

A change to correct the Audible workaround is not available yet.

tlongacre,

Error codes are standard Windows errors. Error 23 is -  Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

MikeW and Bri,

Under the new system files which are already on iPod are not resent and thus new Ratings and tag info would not be applied unless the file is deleted and resent. I may need to revisit this.

MikeW,

On the iPod, have you selected US Eastern or US Eastern (DST)? Is your date, month and year set correctly on iPod?

Bri,

My best guess for the negative last played times is that your clock is wrong on the iPod which could cause what you are reporting.

Dave,

MC 10 does this automatically on each synch. In 9 (and 10) if you select 'Delete files not in synch' and synchronize, the files on iPod that are not in the synch should be removed. There is not a way to isolate the files on iPod which are not in MC 9.  The extra files in 9 could be attributed to files which you sent to iPod and then subsequently deleted and reimported into MC followed by a synch to iPod without having initialized iPod. This is a problem that no longer exists in 10.

Steve

Snuffy2

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Got Corn?
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2004, 10:28:46 am »

MikeW and Bri,

Under the new system files which are already on iPod are not resent and thus new Ratings and tag info would not be applied unless the file is deleted and resent. I may need to revisit this.

So does that mean right now if you sync a bunch of songs over and then later Rate them all in MC, the Ratings wont be xferred over to the iPOD??  ?

Does that also mean if I sync over files and then change the tag info in MC, that also wont be updated on the iPOD?  ?

If thats true, I'm not a huge fan of the new implementation.  IMHO Those 2 things should really be updated to the iPOD whenever they're updated in MC.

If I recall, in the 'old' system you were able to update just the tags on the iPOD when they changed and didn't need to resend the whole song.  This should be reimplemented.  

If your already planning on 'fixing' all of this, then please just disregard.

Thanx

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2004, 12:13:20 pm »

^ I agree with the above post - keeping MC and the iPod in sync should be as transparent as possible, in both directions.   This means changes made within MC should automatically propagate to the iPod in the same way as changes made on the iPod currently go back to MC...

MikeW

• Recent member
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2004, 12:21:34 pm »

Here's what I've found about the last-played, off by-an-hour issue:

Start out as follows:

1) The iPod is set to "US Eastern", not "US Eastern (DST)"
2) The time zone on the pc is set to "(GMT-5:00) Eastern time"
3) The "Automatically Adjust clock for daylight saving changes" is checked
4) After playing a song on the iPod, and synching w/MC, the lasted played shows a 1:02:05 instead of 02:05

Exit MC, and uncheck the "Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes", click "apply", and Restart MC
The last played time is now correct

In all cases, the time shown on the PC matches that shown on the iPod.

SteveG

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2004, 12:59:04 pm »

Madcow and snuffy,

As of today, tag changes to files in MC to files on iPod will not go to iPod. Here is what is coming shortly....

If changes are made to tags in MC and the files are already on iPod, the files will be deleted from iPod and resent when synching so the modified file and data will both be updated on iPod.

MikeW,

What happens if you set iPod to US Eastern (DST)?

Steve

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2004, 01:03:38 pm »

The initialization problem started with. . . (I reported it when it happened, trying to remember now) the new version that started to work again with the iPod. We were up to 10.0.38, I think, then there was a long pause and we came back in at 10.0.60 maybe? That was when the initialization started to "freeze" (although as Larry pointed out, if you wait long enough, it does eventually finish -- I did not have to wait 20 minutes, though, only somewhere between 8-15 minutes, I think.)

I vote with the others, tags should definitely be updated back and forth between the iPod and MC anytime there is a change.

MikeW

• Recent member
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2004, 01:42:50 pm »

After changing the time zone on the iPod from "US Eastern" to "US Eastern (DST)", the time on the iPod was an hour off.  After correcting the time on the iPod, and playing an item.  The behavior is the same as when "US Eastern" is selected:  The last played shows correct when the "Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes" is not checked,  and is off by an hour when it is checked.

ipodman

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2004, 04:21:57 pm »

steve,
i'm getting tempted to try the new plug in...

Is there any way to maintain my playcounts and ratings on the ipod  and get them into media center (have used the ipod for over 4 months so my playcounts i like a lot).

Last time I played with the ipod and media center (maybe aroun 10.040) I lost ALL of my ratings :( which has scared me to touch mediacenter until you have crackd the nasty apple code.

I know there is no direct sync between MC and ipod but maybe you know a work around?

If there was a way to edit play counts in mediacenter, that would be  a start  (or import XML playlists from itunes)

thanks

SteveG

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2004, 05:23:51 pm »

Everyone,

New MC is now available and includes....

Fixed: Ability to transfer m4b files to iPod.
Fixed: Available and used space in portable synching dialogue.
 Fixed: Audible (AA) files wouldn't always play on iPod.

In regards to Audible, you should now no longer need to do the workaround from Monday.  

MikeW,

I must check this out tomorrow.

iPodman,

The new MC should (if the option to update tags from iPod is selected) update MC with ratings from iPod (if they are non zero) and add playcounts to MC. Having said that, it has been working for a day correctly so you should back up your library if you are concerned about things getting goofed up for another couple days.

ipodman

• Recent member
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2004, 10:41:26 pm »

STeve...
I just synced with version 10.072...

The ratings from the ipod transferred into Media Center (well the ratings on mp3 files and not aac but I think that is an apple limitation, no?)!!!!

My media center play counts seem quite inaccurate though ... some songs it says I have played 18000 times when I know they have been placed just once!!!!  Other songs that I know I played 8 times show 0.  weird.  again, the aac play counts are set at 0 even though many are my most played

i will admit, i did not let media center reformat the ipod, because if i did that i figured my data wouldnot be there to send info into media center

ALso, how can I get playlists from the ipod onto MC?  I tried exporting them as a html, but the file is blank, without any songs listed

thanks

Rien van Ham

• Recent member
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2004, 11:15:13 pm »

Hello Steve,

After installing .72:
Trying to expand the "artists"-tree: MC crashes!

Do I have to initialize the IPOD with every new version?

Thanks,
Rien

SteveG

« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2004, 08:53:00 am »

Rien,

You do not need to intialize for each new version. I cannot explain the aritst tree expansion crash. Can you expand other tree nodes (i.e. Album) without problem?

ipodman,

There is not a way to get iPod playlists from iPod to MC unless you can export them somehow into a format that iPod can import (such as m3u).  In regards to the playcounts and ratings, you may need to intialize with MC. It does not appear that you have done that since installing 10 and so the file which stores the playcounts information may be formatted in a way that MC cannot understand which would account for the weird values. AAC playcounts should sync into MC without problems.

Steve

ipodman

• Recent member
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2004, 09:28:40 am »

If I initialize with media center, then the current play counts and ratings on the ipod will be erased, no?  What I was trying to figure out if my existing playcounts on the ipod which are quite extemsive can be synced into media center.  I have just started using media cnter, so my play counts there are basically nonexistent.

I plan to make the leap to mc full time for my ipod soon.. i just wish I could keep thos playcounts I built up for several months

SteveG

« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2004, 10:20:16 am »

iPodman,

Yes, if you initialize, all the data will be lost from iPod. If the format of iPod now is not recognizable (i.e. playcounts) that data may be gone in relation to MC.

Steve

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2004, 10:26:46 am »

Steve,

Is this a bug or a feature?

using .72 -- I went to sync the iPod. I had "show files at root" turned off because if you try to eject with that on, you have to sit and wait for it to see all the songs which is a pain. But when I went to sync, it told me that I had -37.1gb and would not let me sync (a message box came up saying I'd exceeded the limit and needed to remove some songs). It finally occurred to me to turn on "show files at root" and when I did, the size count was correct and I didn't get that message anymore and it did the sync just fine.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2004, 10:36:01 am »

Hi Steve,
You are right regarding the negative values of my last played info.

I discovered that my ipod was a few minutes in front of my pc a few days ago and corrected it but hadnt reinititialized since then. I was kinda hoping that Mc would had put a positive value or zero value in the files on the ipod to fix the error.

But i got around it in the end by deleting affected files and resynching the correct files from MC.

The plugin is working fine for me now. Last played and number of plays seems ok.

Rien van Ham

• Recent member
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2004, 11:34:35 am »

Steve,

mmmm... strange. Now (after a cold boot of my pc) MC doesn't crash when I expand the artists-tree. I'm happy that I didn't initialize my IPOD again (and have to transfer 8000 songs again....).

Kind regards,

Rien

nel

• Recent member
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2004, 12:21:36 pm »

Steve,

Is this a bug or a feature?

using .72 -- I went to sync the iPod. I had "show files at root" turned off because if you try to eject with that on, you have to sit and wait for it to see all the songs which is a pain. But when I went to sync, it told me that I had -37.1gb and would not let me sync (a message box came up saying I'd exceeded the limit and needed to remove some songs). It finally occurred to me to turn on "show files at root" and when I did, the size count was correct and I didn't get that message anymore and it did the sync just fine.

Hi,

I got the exact same behavior with 10.0.72 also. But I must say that 'show files at root' is really speedier than when I last checked that feature on. So for now I will live with that minor annoyance.

Nel.

MikeW

• Recent member
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2004, 01:08:46 pm »

Steve,

The last played time issue is a small one -- I was just letting you know because I noticed it (part of the responsibility of being a beta tester).  It's hardly keeping me up at night.

Just let me know if there is anything else I can do...

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2004, 02:01:06 pm »

Steve,

Looks like you've cracked it. All my aa files now play!

Just synched with .72 for the first time and it all works for me. Ratings and last played are all just as they should be.
Some Smartlists are not working now but that's MC not the plug-in.

Thanks again.

Ash

SteveG

« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2004, 05:15:21 pm »

The last played time issue should be resolved tonight. The 'show files at root' will go away with some other changes tomorrow that will make it unnecessary. For tonight, do not deselect "Show files at root' option.

markp99

• World Citizen
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2004, 07:27:28 pm »

Minor iPod sorting annoyance (found while accidentally deleting songs from iPod):

1.  Sorted on Rating, low-to-high
2.  Selected a handfull of songs w/rating = "1" (= junk)
3.  Deleted the items

Annnoyance:  List reverts the list (rating high-to-low) without prompting.   Actually, no matter what the iPod sorting, after delete, list ALWAYS reverts to sorting by Rating (^), then Name (v)

Note:  I NEVER usually delete songs from iPod directly, but this re-sorting thing seems odd.

LarryJoe

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2004, 04:03:55 am »

Strange problem here.  Using 10.73 with the plugin that came with it (9.9?).  When I try to synch as I always do, I get an empty dialog box with just a lower case "h" in it and a red X.  I have tried uninstalling the plugin, deleting hh_portable.dll, reinstalling MC, going back a few versions, initializing, restoring with Apple updater, etc.  All the usual stuff.  Been a long time MC user and an Ipod user for two years, been through the Ipod plugins since the beginning.

I think I have tried everything.  Installed ephpod to get my tunes back on it, so I know the ipod is fine.

Thanks,

LJ

SteveG

« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2004, 01:15:35 pm »

markp99,

Did you save your view with sorting low to high for the iPod view? I cannot duplicate this when I do.

LarryJoe,

Definitely do not install any plugins other than what comes with MC 10. You should have plugin 9.0.99 with MC 10.0.73. If you have the correct version and you get the error when you click on synchronize and before any files start to send, can you email me your iTunesDB file?

Thanks. (steve @ jriver.com).

LarryJoe

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2004, 06:45:22 pm »

Steve - I installed 10.74 which  I assume has the preffered plugin.  Same deal :(

Did a search on my hdd for itunesdb and the only one that came up is in the ephpod directory.  I sent this to you and hope this is what you need to get me sqaured away.

LJ

LarryJoe

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2004, 06:51:19 pm »

Check that, I found itunesdb on the ipod and sent this to you.  I asume this is the one you need.

Also, I formatted the drive through XP, then restored through ipod updater, then tried MC again and got the same result.  Very strange, I will also send a snapshot of the error.

Thanks,
LJ

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2004, 08:18:28 am »

Hi All!
I've been told to post my msg here... I'm not quite sure about this, should i post all iPod related bugs/problems here?

Anyway, here's my original post (i'm currently using 0.74):

Sorry for the large text, but my issues are a little complicated to explain...

My smartlists still do not sync correctly to my G3 iPod. I've created about 400 of them. When i do a sync, there's always one smartlist on the iPod that has some strange characters as first two letters of the smartlist's name. Inside MC, i can see the smartlists and the tracks on the iPod - if MC is not crashing when i click on the "+" sign of the "Playlist" tree node, which is happening one or two times after the sync. If i eject, the iPod shows no playlists. I've tried this several times, and i've initialized the iPod before trying. I even have tried to reduce the number of smartlists a little, but the effect was the same.

Another strange thing i've noticed is the following behaviour: on the "synchronice handheld player" dialog, if i click on the "select none" button, the number showing the available space after the sync is correctly resetted. Now, if i click on the tree node containing my 400+ smartlists, and select "select all subitems", the available space number stays the same for some seconds. In version prior to 0.70, that was the point where MC would "lock" the applications while calculating the free space. The newer versions are acting differently: i can click on "Start", and MC will start synching - but will delete a large number of files on the iPod (i have "delete unselected..." on). it seems that MC is not ready calculating free space (or "flagging" the smartlists), and so it syncs only part of the smartlists.

I _never_ had problems synching the large number of smartlists to the iPod with MC before 0.70.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2004, 08:48:15 am »

I've noticed something that may be connected to the problems i'm having with synching smartlists.

In 0.59, the files are stored on the iPod with a "123456.mp3" or "1234567.mp3" naming scheme. The new MC versions are using "12345.mp3", if i remember that correctly.

While synching with 0.59, MC displays about 25.000 as the total # of tracks, because it counts every track in every smartlist (even identical tracks in different smartlists). On previous MC versions, the filename (=number) could go as high as 9.999.999. With versions after 0.59, the number building the filename can only be as high as 99.999.

P.S.: Just did a complete sync with 0.59 (Argh... This takes 3.5 hours every time!) - it worked perfectly, all my smartlists are visible on the iPod! Inside MC, i still do see one smartlist with two strange letters @ as first letters of the filename. Maybe this one was left over from the sync with 0.74.

SteveG

« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2004, 09:58:09 am »

LarryJoe,

Using your iTunesDB, I was able to synchronize and add files and view the files you have. I am unable to use 'Delete files not in synch' because I do not have your actual files. Do you have 'Delete files not in synch' checked?  Where does the crash occur, during the deletion or when the files start to transfer or when the playlists transfer?  Lets try to narrow this down. Can you intialize and then synch one playlist with 100 files and see if that works. Then synch another playlist of 100 files and let me know the results.

Addict,

This is the place to post iPod issues.

What is the name of the smartlist with the weird characters?  Does MC crash when you click on the '+' in MC (not viewing it on iPod)?

The available space stays the same while MC recalculates the available space taking into account files that will not be resent (because they are already on iPod) and any conversion you have selected. With 'Delete unselected' checked, any files with different tag info from MC (Artist, Album, Genre, Name, Track Number) or files with tag changes are deleted from iPod and resent. This should not occur on subsequent synchs unless data changes or if you have not resolved files reported as duplicates based on the matching scheme.  The total 3 of tracks synching in the new version is not all playlist entries, but actual tracks that must be sent and after a first successful synch should be very small unless you have different files being sent based on dynamic smartlist rules such as 'random'.  The filename number used to be the MC identification key, it is now the iPod index number.

Steve

Rien van Ham

• Recent member
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2004, 12:08:56 pm »

Today installed the .74 but also present in the previous versions:

I'm uploading my files in batches of about 1000 files to my IPOD. After about 3000 files a strange thing happens: The last artist (when expanding the artists tree) has "strange" characters in its name: two squares and "nity Fare".
After uploading another 1000 records ANOTHER (always the last) artist has strange characters in its name!

Regards,

Rien

LarryJoe

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2004, 01:30:36 pm »

Steve,

I think I got it.  The crash was occuring when I pressed synch.  I could initialize fine, but the crash would come when I pressed synch.  I took your advice and tried just a small playlist and bingo, it transferred. I need to go through my playlists and see which one it doesn't like and check the files.

I should be able to figure this out, but I will be back if not.  As always, you guys rock with such personalized support.

Thanks,

Joe

SteveG

« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2004, 04:22:33 pm »

Rien,

My best guess is there is a particular Artist name that is causing the problem. Can you isolate the batch of files which causes the problem and see if there is a particular Artist that causes the problem. In particular, look for an Artist name with non standard characters.

Or... email me your iTunesDB file from your iPod and I will test it here. You will find iTunesDB on your iPod in iPod_Control->iTunes.  

Larry,

Thanks for working on this. Let me know how it turns out and I will make adjustments as necessary.

Steve

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2004, 10:36:44 am »

I must be doing something wrong, as even .75 is not working for me.

I restored, initialized, synched -- 5k+ songs transfer, playlists transfer, my one audible book work.  1.1 GB space left on the ipod according to .75.  So far so good.

I rate and listen to 1 song on the ipod.  I try to synch, but .75 tells me that synching would leave -25+GB space free on the ipod.  I click OK anyhow, but it tells me space has been exceeded.

This kind of defeats a couple of the primary purposes of using MC for me - I can't synch (i.e., just send back & forth the changed files/info; I have to restore, initialize & resend the whole shebang), and there no longer is any way to just send the ratings & # of times played back from the ipod to the MC database.

I've done this twice now, thinking maybe I did something wrong, but I don't think so.

Anyone have any tips?  Is it really working for some people?

Thanks.

Steve

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2004, 12:04:45 pm »

Having recalled that someone found it made a difference awhile back to reimport the library, I deleted all of the library entries, reimported all media.

I restored, initialized, synched.  Before disconnecting, I checked to see shat sapce would be left if a synched again (i.e., right clicked the ipod in .75 under devices, clicked synch) the screen came up saying that it would still have 1.1 GB space left, which would be right.

I disconnected, listened to & rated 1 song.  Shut & restarted .75.

Connected ipod, right click on ipod in .75, click synch - it says -25GB space left.  It did not send the rating to MC's data base.  It won't synch because it exceeds available space.

.38 is still the last one that worked for me.

Open to suggestions.

markp99

• World Citizen
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2004, 12:29:57 pm »

Serf,

On a couple occasions, thru several failed sync attempts, I found MANY GB's of orphaned files on my iPod.  MC did not see them, iPod did not see them.

I started afresh with a clean re-install of iPod v2.1 software, then re-sync'd with MC.  Removed the orphaned files.

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2004, 02:01:12 pm »

I think when I restored with 2.1 it should have deleted any orphaned files, right?  If so, I've done that each time and it has not helped. Do you mean I should uninstall 2.l and reinstall that? Thanks.

SteveG

« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2004, 05:38:13 pm »

Serf,

Browse your iPod from within Windows and look in the Music folder where you will find folders numbered from F00 to F20. To really do a good test, reinitialize the player and then you should see  that these folders are empty. If not, the orphaned files problem is what is happening for you.

FYI, iPod is essentially a dumb removable drive where you can copy anything you want. The iTunesDB file is the database which makes iPod aware of the music you have copied and able to play it.  Because of this, a couple of things are possible. 1) You can have tons of junk on iPod eating up space and the database may be blissfully unaware that any of it is there. To verify this, right click on the iPod drive in Windows, and see what the space available reports.  2) You can have a database that thinks you have many gigs of files and the files may not be on the iPod at all.

When MC reports there is not enough space, it is using Windows functions to ask the iPod (as a removable drive) how much space it has. I would be surprised if this number is wrong. When MC estimates available space after synching it is matching the files in MC against what the iPod database thinks it has and making estimates based on that.

That may be way more than you want (need) to know, but it might shed some light on the problem.  

Steve
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up