INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should "secure" ripping be doing this?  (Read 1434 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Should "secure" ripping be doing this?
« on: February 14, 2004, 01:29:19 am »

With the new version of MC, when I rip in "secure" mode the CD drive seems to read in little "bursts" rather than a constant stream -- the drive's light goes on and off with a very regular pattern.  I don't remember this happening with 9.1 except for moments when it was having a hard time reading a section, and even then it didn't "pulse" with such regularity -- it would re-read a trouble spot, and then resume the normal "constant" reading.

Is what I'm describing with version 10 normal?

Thanks,

Larry

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
Re:Should "secure" ripping be doing this?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 01:42:15 am »

Same here !!

Another strange thing is that all rips are now a 100%. Also when it visuably shows that the rip proces is not 100%. I mean the rip bar goes back and forth.

MarSies .....

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 03:48:32 am »

Are you saying that it says %100 even when you know for a fact that it was NOT 100%?

Larry

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 04:40:28 am »

Yes,

I reported this a while ago and also a few days ago in another thread. Quisp made a new thread of this "bug".

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=19212

MarSies .....

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 01:03:31 pm »

My experience is that even CDs that are in perfect condition are "stopping/starting" when ripping in secure mode now.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 05:11:11 am »

Could someone verify if it's normal for ALL CDs to have this behavior when ripping in secure mode?  Normally, when data is streaming off the CD, the drive light stays on -- this includes doing secure rips using MC 9.1.  Ever since version 10 of MC, the light does a very regular blink about every other second.  Again, this did NOT happen with MC 9.1 on this same system.  I'm just trying to verify that this is not unique to my system.

Thanks again,

Larry

LonWar

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 06:55:26 am »

This has always ripped in bursts... At least mine did, I have 400 ape albums and all are ok.

I think it reads in bursts to test the data, if it isn't 100% it will drop the speed done and reread that chunk.
-

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 04:44:44 am »

This has always ripped in bursts... At least mine did, I have 400 ape albums and all are ok.

This isn't the way 9.1 worked on my system.  As long as there were no read problems, the drive light would stay on non-stop for the whole rip.

I think it reads in bursts to test the data, if it isn't 100% it will drop the speed done and reread that chunk.

That makes perfect sense.  The issue, however, is that is showing this behavior on EVERY disc.

The question is whether or not the "secure" rip feature works different now than it did with 9.1.

Larry

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2004, 08:48:56 am »

The only major change in secure ripping was early in the 9.1 development cycle (version 9.1.210) where it auto-detected a drive's read cache size (if it had one) and tricked the drive to re-read data from the CD rather than just grab it from the cache. Which version of 9.1 were you using?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

JohnT

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004, 08:50:38 am »

Same here !!

Another strange thing is that all rips are now a 100%. Also when it visuably shows that the rip proces is not 100%. I mean the rip bar goes back and forth.

MarSies .....
This was fixed about a week ago. The log file was not getting updated correctly.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up