INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: v10 upgrade questions  (Read 906 times)

RhinoBanga

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Developer
v10 upgrade questions
« on: February 17, 2004, 09:39:10 pm »

Now that you are going to ship v10 soon:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=19317

Are you going to carry on fixing v10 or start on v10.1/v11?

Also due to the very short timescale between v9.1 and v10 are you going to charge those of us who upgraded to v10 for the next version of MC?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:v10 upgrade questions
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 10:21:53 pm »

10.1 comes next.  Don't know about price, Rhino.  10.0 represents about two man years of work.  What did you pay for it?

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 01:14:27 am »

v10 has only been around since the 3rd of December, thats 11 weeks.

I took advantage of your upgrade offer on the 23rd of January, about 4 weeks ago.

If you think that people like me are going to pay again for another upgrade after such a short space of time then v10.1 had better be something special.

Seviien

• World Citizen
  • SteveG for President! :)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 01:55:11 am »

I don't think it's confirmed that 10.1 will be a payed upgrade.  But even if it is, JRiver has been pretty good aboutoffering price breaks on upgrades for pre existing users who switchover early.

I'm fortunate in that I have the $10-$40ish dollars to pay for the upgrade without really having to think about it.  Not everyone finds themself in the same situation.  That said, my only real thought on the matter is that requiring a payment for an upgrade after only 10 weeks of development -- even if that represents 4000 work hours -- might not be the best idea from a business perspective.  First, you're gonna make people angry.  Ultimately, though, that's not that big a deal.  If it's a good product people will complain, but they will still pay.
Second, and a lot more important, is that the people using v10 have played a very important role in its rapid development.  They essentially paid money to beta test.  Without all those testers, bugs couldnt have been squashed as quickly and progress would have been slower.  If you establish a precedent of asking for money few months, people will hold out on you and only pay every second or third time.  They wont have all the new features, but they'll have something that works.  On the flip side, JRiver wont have as many people to help test its product.
Pages: [1]   Go Up