INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Problems  (Read 1046 times)

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
TV Problems
« on: February 16, 2004, 01:22:21 am »

Hello all,

I have a Brooktree card (PV878P+) with a Philips tuner. I can get normal picture with the software provided but when trying to view tv in MC, I get the following:

When a channel is typed in and I click on enter, the TV attempts to load. There is a picture displayed (the last channel that the TV was tuned into) but it is upside down (l/r also?). Then a message from "PlaybackEng" says that it failed to find the TV tuner.

It must be a driver issue, but where can I get drivers that will work? I have tried the latest from PixelView, but nothing seems to help, or just makes it worse...

Any clues?

Thanks!

P.
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:TV Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 07:19:45 am »

Try a search for Brooktree drivers both here and at google.  There are alternative drivers available.

Waenna

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 04:44:22 pm »

Did you update to Direct X 9.0b?
If yes I have probably the solution for you: It's a bug in these drivers.
Here is the description:

DirectX 9.0b was released on 7/23/03 to address the MIDI security issue identified in bulletin MS03-030. A small number of non-security fixes were also included in the release. One of these fixes caused several TV Tuner capture card/driver combinations using video formats other than NTSC (NTSC-J, PAL, SECAM) to no longer initialize correctly on Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003. Symptoms include loss of capture functionality and potential inability to set/retain device capture settings. This hotfix, documented further in Knowledge Base article 825116, has been issued to correct the flaw.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8DFD1B6D-E177-4A0E-91D0-B4310675B02B&displaylang=en

Please tell me if you have applied successfully the patch
It worked fine for me with the Philips 7134 Chip.

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 09:01:13 am »

Argh! This is NEARLY NEARLY killed me...

My machine: uninstall everything. Including MC, tv card etc...

I took my TV card into work. Downloaded some drivers, installed them and everything worked 100% perfectly. Mc saw the card and was happy! So was I.

Then I got home. Plugged the TV card back into my PC. Had some issues regarding "Access is Denied" when installing the card. This kept me up all night. Or most of it. Apparently the driver uninstall messes up some permissions in the winxp registry and so it is unable to adjust them. Fixed that by going into regedit and hey presto, they install. These are the drivers that worked, yesterday, no less.

So there I am, testing the card with supplied software. Works. Open MC and hey presto. Disaster.

Before, I got an error saying that the PlaybackEng couldn't find the TV tuner. Now, I get a dialog box that asks me for the current location and whether I'm looking at cable or antennae picture, but the list is empty and the radio buttons don't work. When I press ok, it says, no no... choose a country from the empty list. Ctrl-Alt-Del -- DIE.

I then realise that I haven't run the supplied software. Do that. It asks me for some settings to be set. Ah. Country. Stuff. Tell it. Close that and restart MC -- still no joy.

Complete uninstall of MC, installed the DirectX bugfix (as noted above), complete reinstall...

I have TV working...

WHY WAS THIS SO HARD??? Sorry -- not complaining -- just exasperated!!!

Thanks hugely to those who helped out!

P.
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs
Pages: [1]   Go Up