INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do NOT transfer a Playlist to an SD Card  (Read 2883 times)

Drowbe

Do NOT transfer a Playlist to an SD Card
« on: February 13, 2004, 03:43:28 pm »

In the Beta 10 posts, Someone need to change:

"IMPORTANT -- This build includes a reworked handheld system.  Only IPOD and WMDM players currently work.  Tread lightly if handheld support is important to you."

...to...

"WARNING-- This build includes a reworked handheld system.  Only IPOD and WMDM players currently work.  YOU MAY LOSE YOUR SOURCE FILES."

I sure did.  Perhaps someone can help me out here.  I got a new 512 SD card.  Put it in my reader...transferred a file to it in explorer...worked...then deleted the file.  Opened MC10 (.69), created a smartlist (512mb, 4+ stars), clicked Handheld player..."h Drive" (my card)...drug the smartlist files to the *action* window...hit transfer.  Man-o-man did is zip through them all...I mean fast.

Here are the problems:

1.  There are no files on the card.
2.  The source files were DELETED from my machine.

Now, before all of this, I did a search on the forum to find out what was meant by "WMDM Players"...all I found (other than posts containing the above warning line) was one post asking for a clarification of WMDM and how we should *know* if our player supports it.  So, I figured, if MC *sees* the dirve, it must be working.  Also, if MC could possibly DELETE my files, there would be a WARNING mentioning this and not a "Tread lightly if handheld support is important to you."  I mean, it is important, but if it wouldn't transfer, no biggie...right?  Plus, then I'd know if my *handheld* supported WMDM.

Well, I guess an SD card reader (which for some reason is listed under handheld) doesn't support WMDM.  Worse, not only does it not work, but it, for some reason, DELETES your source files.

My support questions:

1.  Why in the world, even when failing, would MC delete the source files?
2.  Where does it delete them to?
3.  How can I get them back?
4.  How can I build a smartlist to show me all of the files that were deleted?  I guess I best start trying to revcover them...sadly, I paid for most of my collection.

BTW, I assume MC *knows* whether the handheld supports WMDM or not...shouldn't you disable functions that might damage the enduser's system?

I am pretty paniced.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

--Thomas

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Do NOT transfer a Playlist to an SD Card
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 04:10:25 pm »

Did you try XP's restore??

You may want to look into getting something like Go Back... In this case it would have helped...

Ya it would be nice to know what machines are WMDM as I have a Noamd Jukebox that doesn't work with MC now... It doesn't delete files however...
-

SteveG

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 04:52:57 pm »

Thomas,

What you report is very difficult to explain in terms of something MC could do. There is nothing during an upload to a handheld that would delete a file unless you are doing file conversions on the fly, and then only the temporary files should be deleted. No one else has reported anything like what you are reporting. Try making a copy of a file (to be safe) and then drag one file onto the SD card listed under handhelds and transfer it and if the file disappears, search your system for it to try to get a clue as to where it may have gone.  I will be checking this this weekend, and give more info if I can based on your results.

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 05:33:30 pm »

Thomas,

Glad to hear you might not be in as much hurt as you thought. Let me know how it turns out, and I will check back tomorrow.  

Steve

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 05:40:09 pm »

Sorry to hear about that.  What a pain.  I hope all recovers well for you.

\Note to self - Don't use SD card with MC \Note
pretend this is something funny

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2004, 03:21:17 am »

Drowbe,

sorry, it won't help for this incident... but just to be safe for the next time, once you have recovered, have a look at http://mp3bookhelper.sourceforge.net/ . this program lets you create lists of your files including checksums for the mp3 data part. so changing files' tags doesn't show up as a changed files, but altering the mp3 data does. it also shows missing files.

good luck with your files.

Ingo

miked

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 08:29:04 am »

I had a very similar thing happen with V.69 ,  I tried to transfer several albums to a SD card.  The transfer failed ( not surprised after the warnings in the Readme ) however all the DB entries now had a Red X through them as if the file had been deleted.   When I checked, the MP3s still existed, so I just had to re-import the MP3s, but MC had me worried for a while.   ;D

So it's not just you Thomas

Mike

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 09:20:58 am »

Mike,

Can you give more detail about what steps you took when this happened or how you can recreate it?

Steve

miked

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 11:21:46 am »

I've just checked what I did, now I'm back at home.

It was V.68 not .69

I dragged the tracks from the Library onto the SD card drive letter ( L: ) I have things set to do at conversion of the MP3s from 192 to 128 Kbits and to do volume levelling.
Nothing made it to the SD card, but the files were marked as deleted after an error message popped up.

I've tried to reproduce the problem with V.70 but it doesn't mark the files as deleted, it still puts nothing on the cards, with no errors.

Normally I would use the Nomad IIc plugin but obviously not with the beta yet, so I normally don't use the card reader. I'm not sure I had tried the card reader with V10 before, certainly with V9 when it worked.

Mike

SteveG

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 11:36:48 am »

Thanks Mike,

I am working on this portion of MC today.  If you can try again with tonight's build, that would be great.

Thanks.

Steve

miked

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 03:23:44 pm »

Just tried 10.72 with my memory card reader.  It listed the contents of the card correctly by going "Drives -> Removable Drive L:".  I tried deleting some files from the card by right-mouse "Delete", but nothing happened, no error no deletion.  I then deleted the files from Windows with no problem.  

Trying to transfer a file with volume leveling and MP3 conversion 192->128 ,  dragged file from the LIbrary on L:
It appears in the AW, click transfer the decode, leveling and encode work, the transfer fails.  I get an error message saying the transfer fail, I click OK and MC dies.  Same thing without leveling and conversion, no transfer and MC dies.

Dragging the same file in Windows onto the L: drive works fine.

regards
Mike

Media Center Registered 10.0.72 -- D:\Audio\MediaCenter\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1827 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 524 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Ripping /   Drive S:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive S: PLEXTOR  DVDR   PX-708A     Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

SteveG

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2004, 09:55:19 am »

Miked and Drowbe,

Can you try again with 10.0.73?

Steve

miked

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2004, 12:06:51 pm »

Just tried 10.73 with my memory card reader.  
Partial success Steve

It listed the contents of the card correctly by going "Drives -> Removable Drive L:".  I tried deleting some files from the card by right-mouse "Delete", but nothing happened, no error no deletion.  

Trying to transfer a file with volume leveling and MP3 conversion 192->128 ,  dragged file from the Library on L:
It appears in the AW, click transfer, the decode, leveling and encode work, the transfer fails.  I get an error message saying the transfer fail, I click OK and MC dies.  :(

If I do the same without leveling and conversion, the  transfer WORKS :D

Any word on when the Nomad IIc plugin will work?

regards
Mike    

SteveG

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2004, 01:23:12 pm »

Mike,

Do you have WMDM enabled (in Tools->Plugin Manager->Plugins->Handheld->Portable Drive->Configure? If so, turn it off. If not, I cannot replicate your problem. For a file you are trying to delete, what is the path to the file on your card? Are you given an error numberwhen the transfer fails?

Steve

miked

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2004, 02:00:08 pm »

:D

You got it Steve 8)
WMDM was the problem, turn that off and everything works, deletion, transfer with levelling.   I must have turned on WMDM last week when I was trying things, I don't have anything that requires it.

This might be a support problem with people who do have WDMD devices and card reader devices, unless you plan to auto-disable it when it's not needed  for a transfer to a device.

Now you have time to do the Nomad II plugin  ;D

thanks

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up