INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing from an old drive in a new PC  (Read 1903 times)

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Importing from an old drive in a new PC
« on: July 29, 2003, 08:56:54 pm »

my old computer crashed so i put media jukebox 8 on my new one.  i had dozens of mp3 files on my old computer.  i was able to save the hard drive which had media jukebox 8 on it.  when i do a search for the songs i'm looking for, it brings them up.  but when i try to play them, i get the msg "please select files to play".

thanks,

jasonod

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: what does this mean?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 09:39:48 pm »

Crashed?..as in a hard drive crash? It's not too uncommon to be able to read the filename (it comes from the Master File Table...aka MFT), yet be unable to do anything with the file it points to. Can you play them with anything else (ie WMP)? Copy a couple over to your new drive and see if you can play them from there. Run chkdsk /f from a command window on the old drive. What does it tell you?

10-27

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2003, 03:17:33 am »

i'm not sure what you mean for me to do.  here's what happened when i say "crashed".  it literally melted down.  the fan on my video card stopped, and this caused a malfunction in the video card, sound card, and motherboard.  the hard drive was okay, so that drive was put into my hp desktop.  well, when i went and re-installed media jukebox to the new 'c' drive, i tried playing the songs from media jukebox on my old 'c' drive (renamed my 'g' drive).  many of the songs that i had  were gone, not to be found in 'my shared' folder or in media jukebox.  when i do a computer search, they do show up on the 'g' drive, but i cannot play them.  again, it asks to 'please select file(s) to play'.  wmp cannot play any of them b/c it doesn't recognize the file extension.  i really don't want to have to download all of those songs, especially in light of the lawsuit thing going on.  so, what do you mean by running 'chkdsk/f'?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2003, 05:07:56 am »

If your drive letter changed, just clear your library and re-import from the new location.

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Importing from an old drive in a new PC
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2003, 06:05:21 pm »

jim h,

i'm not quite sure what you mean, 'clear your library' and re-import from the new location.  i will try explaining to you best i can: i believe there are 2 media jukebox 8.0 on my computer, 1 on drive c and another (the original with dozens of songs) on drive g.  the one on drive c is the one that i had to re-install with one of my installation keys.  when i try to play the songs it says 'please select file(s) to play, and when i try to import the songs from the g drive, it fails to import them.  is there like a ghost of media jukebox on the g drive?  do i have to re-install another media jukebox to my g drive?

utterly confused,

jasonod

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2003, 06:57:04 pm »

You should have just one installation (total) of MJ on your computer. First thing...backup your license and then copy it to someplace very safe (create a directory for it, if necessary). Next, consolidate all your media files into one directory on g:. Download latest build of MJ (B399). Don't install it yet. Uninstall MJ (both instances)...reboot...reinstall MJ...restore your license. Now go to MJ>Tools>Import Media. Find your media via the Import Media browse button. Start the import. You should be good to go now.

10-27

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2003, 03:34:06 am »

pardon my ignorance, but how do i backup my license, AND how do i create a directory for it?  does that mean i just create a new folder for it?  i don't want to screw anything up lest i lose those dozens of mp3 files i have.  i would appreciate a lot of hand-holding here to walk me through step by step.

thanks!

jasonod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2003, 03:40:22 am »

If you have a version 8 or version 9 license, you don't need to back it up.  You can recover it from our server.

All the details are here:
www.mediajukebox.com/license
Pages: [1]   Go Up