INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audible files -- tag changes are gone when re-importing.  (Read 1404 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Audible files -- tag changes are gone when re-importing.
« on: February 20, 2004, 05:24:33 pm »

I just noticed that when I re-import audible files, I lose all the tag changes I made to the files.  Even though MC gives me the "saving tag info" when making changes, when I move the files to a new system and re-imprort them, all the tags are back to their original state.  I have dozens of audible files which require new names (in order to display properly on an iPod), so I end up having to take quite a bit time to rename everything.

Is there a way to transfer the tag changes I make to audible files to a new system?

Thanks,

Larry

jleerigby

Re:Audible files -- tag changes are gone when re-importing.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 06:11:12 pm »

What setting do you have in Tools> options> General under importing and tagging for 'Update tags when file info changes'?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 10:28:16 pm »

I always have it set to "Update file when tag info changes" -- and I confirmed that this option was still checked.  It's important to note that when I make changes to the tags on Audible files, as soon as I highlight something else I get the "updating tag info" popup, which would seem to indicate that the changes were being saved to the file.  When I import this exact file (either re-import it or import it on another system) the tags are back to their original state.  It's also important to note that these same files go back to their original tags when viewing them in Ephpod.

In other words, there seems to be something different about Audible files when it comes to the way MC editted tags are stored in them.  This is preventing any changes from being "seen" when importing these files.  I don't have this problem with mp3s -- it's specific to Audible files.

Is there a way of transferring the editted data on these specific files to another MC system so I don't have to re-edit dozens and dozens of files?

Thanks,

Larry

jleerigby

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 05:45:22 am »

Under the View menu make sure that Party Mode isn't ticked.  Go to tools> options> tree and view settings and 'edit' the fields that are not being saved.  Make sure 'Store inside files if possible' is checked.  Right Click on the files in Windows Explorer and check properties to see if they are Read Only.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 06:06:12 am »

Under the View menu make sure that Party Mode isn't ticked.

Not ticked.

Go to tools> options> tree and view settings and 'edit' the fields that are not being saved.  Make sure 'Store inside files if possible' is checked.

Confirmed -- this is checked on all the fields.

Right Click on the files in Windows Explorer and check properties to see if they are Read Only.

They are not read only.  Based on MC's behavior and the Ephpod behavior I described above, this seems to be related to Audible files in general.  Has anyone else actually tried what I'm talking about -- i.e. if you edit an Audible file's tags, then delete the file from the library and re-import it, do you get your tag changes back?

This is also not a new issue -- it's been like this for quite a while on more than one system.

Thanks again,

Larry

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 04:30:30 pm »

MC may not be able to write changes to the Audible file.  Those tags may just be saved in the internal DB.  I'd love for some way of seeing which tags have been written and which are only in the DB.

kiwi

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2004, 04:36:24 pm »

MC may not be able to write changes to the Audible file.  Those tags may just be saved in the internal DB.  I'd love for some way of seeing which tags have been written and which are only in the DB.

kiwi

If this is the case, what is happening when MC says it's "saving tag changes" after editing these files?  It seems like it's manipulating the aa files since the longer the aa file, the longer it takes for MC to "save the changes" to them.

Larry

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2004, 05:20:54 pm »

Larry,

Currently the tag changes are saved in the database, but not in the file itself.

Steve

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2004, 05:26:39 pm »

Larry,

Currently the tag changes are saved in the database, but not in the file itself.

Steve

Well -- at least that explains what's happening.  Is there any way to somehow "transfer" the tag changes for these files to another system?  Many of the files require me to listen to multiple points in the file to find out what "episodes" it covers, so the process of having to manually rename these dozens of files will be quite time consuming.  Isn't there any way of automating this task in some way -- of somehow transferring the tag information over?

Thanks,

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up