INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi zone playback?  (Read 1066 times)

Dave T

• World Citizen
Multi zone playback?
« on: November 25, 2002, 07:43:28 am »

Sorry for repeating a FAQ - I know this has been asked before, and the answer has been "not yet, but we're thinking about it".  I just wanted to know if you're any closer.  As I'm sure you realize, having multi-zone playback capability in MJ would be HUGE.  A professional installer friend of mine said that this is the only think keeping him from going a PC based system using MJ, vs selling systems like Arrakis, which is what he does now.  MJ has so much more to offer than those overpriced, turnkey systems.  But, it currently lacks multizone support, which he says all his customers want.

I guess the main thing I'm unclear on is why multizone support isn't easy to add.  I understand there could be some big UI issues if you wanted to support multi-zone within a single instance of MJ.  But, why can't you just support having multiple instances of MJ running simultaneously, each talking to a different sound card?  Even Winamp can do this.  I would think this would be easy to implement - just by allowing multiple instances of MJ to run.  Maybe not.  Am I missing something?  

If it did support this, along with a command-line parameter, or something, to tell MJ which soundcard to use, my installer friend would be good to go - to implement whole house audio using NetRemote or Glissando for a front end.

Thanks!

- Dave

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Multi zone playback?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2002, 05:25:48 am »

We don't want to offer a weak solution like "run multiple instances". (it's sloppy and makes settings a mess)

I think we've figured out how to do it right -- now it's just a matter of finding the time :P

It may be a while before we have any news on this because there are a lot of other things in the cooker right now.

Thanks for all of your help Dave.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2002, 05:53:29 am »

Thanks Matt.  Personally, I'd rather have sloppy and sooner, than elegant and (much) later, but I hear you.

And, thanks for thanking me!  I'm not sure how helpful I'm being, but it's nice to feel appreciated.

- Dave

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2002, 06:15:33 am »

Matt,

are you going to implent this for MC/MJ9 or do we have to wait vor v10?

Ingo

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2002, 06:38:34 am »

This could be 4 to 6 months out.  We'd like to do it, but there are higher priorities right now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up