INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Visualizations, cover art and CPU usage  (Read 711 times)

Tiberius

• Junior Woodchuck
  • A big dog is twice as big as a dog 1/2 it's size..
Visualizations, cover art and CPU usage
« on: February 22, 2004, 04:22:05 pm »

I don't know if anything can be done about this but I noticed that any visualizations that show cover art really increase the load put on the CPU by MC.

Normally I save cover art inside the file as a 600x600 jpeg, I forgot to reduce the cover art for an album and accidentally stored it at 1200x1200. When played the file CPU use shot up and the vis window became unresponsive. MC also stopped updating the peak value on the lower right of DSP studio. I found that if I switched to a vis w/o cover art all returned to normal. I then found my error in the size of the cover art and reduced it but even at 600x600 it still puts quite a load on the CPU.

I tried moving the cover art out of the file but didn't see any improvement.
Failure is not an option...however it is often included at no extra charge...

jleerigby

Re:Visualizations, cover art and CPU usage
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 04:37:24 pm »

I've had this problem too.  I took a while to figure out that it was the cover art causing the slow down. In fact last night it caused Full Screen view to lock up completely.  I could still use the other views but had to restart MC to get the Viz back again.

You might be able to improve matters by altering the display quality.

I also reported a problem around a month ago whereby cover art does not always update when you skip to the next track.  The image OnEquation is as follows:
on=if(t<75,1,0);t=(t+1)%800

This suits me as Always on gives me concerns about burn in and the other selectable options are a bit over bearing (Impact on etc) for cover art.

Any chance of a fix for this?

Tiberius

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 04:51:30 pm »

I did try a lower quality but that affects the text as well making it hard to read.

I also played with the settings in vis studio but couldn't come up with any thing that displayed it right and reduced the CPU usage.

I can't reproduce the no change on track change tho. Just tried and it seems to work here but then I mostly play full albums where the cover art is the same for each track.

I don't see that your on equation makes any difference but I am probably missing what you were saying there.

Tiberius

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 10:02:01 pm »

Bump
Pages: [1]   Go Up