INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume control question  (Read 1339 times)

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
Volume control question
« on: February 25, 2004, 08:14:38 am »

Hi,

I listen to MC via my Onkio AV Receiver. To get the desired volume level I have therefore to control the volume by setting both the PC master volume and the AV Receiver volume. The audio card is an Audigy2.

What do you think is a better idea in terms of balancing quality and performance... setting a lower volume in the PC control and a higher volume in the AV Receiver or viceversa? I've been told that setting the PC master volume control very high is not advisable... is that correct?

Thank you.

jleerigby

Re:Volume control question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 02:38:33 pm »

I had the audigy 2, up until 1 hour ago when I installed an M-Audio Delta Dio.

My approach seemed to work really well.  I used the creative mixer or whatever it's called to limit the Wave Out volume to 50%.  That's a reasonable setting to avoid distortion.  Then I set the system volume (via MC or remote using Girder) to whatever level I want.  To get the absolute optimum sound the system volume should be at 100% and then use the amp to control listening level.  However, occassionally it was useful to be able to turn down the system volume for short periods to save reaching for the remote on the AMP.

For info my Audigy was connected to my AV Receiver using a coax cable from the spdif out.

Deivit

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 03:17:32 pm »

Thank you very much JLee.

If I understand correctly then, in your opinion the system volume at 100% and playing with the amp volume to set the desired sound level should deliver the better sound and the less distorsion?

Thanks again.

-----
Listening to: 'Smilin' Jones' from 'Where in the World' by 'Bill Frisell' on Media Center 10

P.D.: No coax Spdif possibility since my Onkio only has analog inputs  :(

jleerigby

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 03:02:51 am »

If I understand correctly then, in your opinion the system volume at 100% and playing with the amp volume to set the desired sound level should deliver the better sound and the less distorsion?
Yes.  Send a maximum of 50% volume from your PC to avoid distortion.  Since MC cannot control the Wave out volume then this is the one I set in the mixer to be permanently at 50% 'cos no one can easily change it.

IMO the Audigy2 is a great soundcard for the money.  It seems to be 'cool' to bash soundblasters but in the case of this card it's unwarranted.  

Though the M-Audio Delta DIO is a high end card and sound quality is marginally better on high bit rate or lossless tracks the Audigy offers much more control and customisation of the sound which I'll miss when playing lower (128k) bit rate tracks.  For example, I used the parameteric equaliser for these tracks and it really made a difference.  

I also liked having the Bass & Treble controls as I could alter these on the fly using my remote and On Screen Display with Girder.  I know that audiophiles will quiver at the thought of using any type of DSP or tone control but the reality is that it does help sometimes.

Tonight I will reinstall the Audigy2 alongside the Delta DIO and make a comparison to decide if the loss of easy to use tone controls is a worthwhile trade off for the marginally better sound output.   One thing is for sure - at £50 compared to £150 the Audigy2 wins the value for money battle hands down.

Deivit

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 03:58:01 am »

Thanks again, JLee  :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 12:56:08 pm »

Yes.  Send a maximum of 50% volume from your PC to avoid distortion.

Yeah, that one surprised me.  I was using a Creative card (I think Audigy 2) set to "Digital output only", but it still distorted like crazy if you got the master too high.

I wonder if it doesn't run analog through the amp on the board when it's resampling, and then go to digital at the last step.

The volume has no effect on non-resample streams like a DVD. (48 khz)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up