INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: legal download site for US based people  (Read 2119 times)

pipsqueak

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
legal download site for US based people
« on: March 02, 2004, 04:53:16 pm »

i would like to be able to download good quality files in the US at at least 160k - LEGALLY. Also im an electronic fan so i would need access to a datbase with a large number of files, otherwise i will never find what im looking for (thats the problem for me with iTunes)

ive seen a few services such as emusic, but i want to be able to buy the music and not have to worry about the number of machines i can tranfer it to. i dont want to find 5 years down the line that i cant move the files onto my newest system.

any suggestions?

thanks

Charlemagne 8

Re:legal download site for US based people
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 08:11:06 pm »

At last check, EMusic's files were yours forever. The downside is that they don't do 160 kb but do have a fairly nice sounding VBR. Another downside is that unless you're into Jazz, you've never heard of most of the artists. The upside of that downside is that Jazz sounds better than Rock at lower bitrates.
High bitrates have not caught on here yet. They can't get their heads past the "price per track" quagmire. That would preclude any desire to bump the bitrates.
Now if they sold songs by the megabyte, it would be to the sales' advantage to have higher bitrates = higher price per track.
Where can that happen? I can't say.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 08:18:19 pm »

Charlemagne

thanks - will take a look at their site. what about DRM limitations, does the media have those?

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 06:16:38 pm »

When they quit offering "unlimited" downloads (they really didn't mean it but it was all I wanted), I was offered the option of quitting before my term had expired so I took them up on it. At that time, though, there were no restrictions on what you could do with the downloads or where or when you could play them. I still have and use a very large number of them.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2004, 12:57:59 am »

The RealPlayer Music Store offers 192Kbps AAC files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up