INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT -- R2D2 rides a motorcyle across the Mojave Desert  (Read 660 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
OT -- R2D2 rides a motorcyle across the Mojave Desert
« on: March 07, 2004, 09:28:35 pm »

I think it was the Gossamer Condor that won the prize for man-powered flight across the English Channel about 15 years ago.  Here's another prize up for grabs:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/08/technology/08robot.html?ex=1079326800&en=335f9e21fe461720&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

Anthony S. Levandowski is working feverishly with a team of students from the University of California at Berkeley to build an ambitious robot motorcycle to race without a driver across the Mojave Desert.

They are part of a crowd that has been attracted by a Pentagon promise to pay $1 million to the creators of the first self-guided vehicle to find its way this Saturday along a programmed course from Barstow, Calif., to near Las Vegas.

Mr. Levandowski's robot motorcycle will be joined by pickups, sport utility vehicles, Hummers and other all-terrain vehicles, some with as many as six wheels and all packed with computers and sensors - but with no space for humans.

Pages: [1]   Go Up