INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote control of media server  (Read 913 times)

wizbang

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
Remote control of media server
« on: March 01, 2004, 05:10:37 pm »

I'm sure this question must have been asked before, but I have scanned the archives and can't find it if it has...

It seems that alot of people do what I do and have a remote PC that is hooked up to their HiFi and then use a VNC (or Remote Desktop) session to control the remote PC server from a local PC i.e they run up a copy of MC on the remote server and select playlists etc. all over a VNC session.

What I would love to be able to do is run MC on my local PC, but have it remotely control the PC server i.e. run MC on the local PC and when I select a track to play, it tells the remote PC to play the music through my HiFi.

MC is the interface I want to use on the local PC, not NetRemote or WebRemote or a VNC session. I want MC, but the sound to come out on the remote PC. Since I can import the remote PC's library (using Media Server), why can't I export the control commands back to the remote server?

Am I the only one experiencing this, or is there another way that everyone else is using, to do what I want to do?

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
Re:Remote control of media server
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 11:22:21 am »

I second that, but currently it does not have that capability...which from your statements you already know.  I would look at the Remote Server section, and do a search on that.  I used that prior to it being called remote server, with a plug in called Glissando but for some reason that software has not been updated in some time.  The Remote Server really could use some work, or if the Hairstyle could be used separately that would be great, but I don't hear much of either of that, although I have only been back lurking on Interact for a couple of weeks now after a year long break, but every once in a while I do a search, but don't really find anything.

Did not add much bet gave you something to read...sorry

lalbert

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 02:18:06 pm »

This is exactly what I am looking for.  I found MusicLobby made by Cinemar Products from another post and tested the software.  It is OK, but if I could connect cleanly to the MJ database, I would make it myself.  This would require 2 products, costing over $120.  The web remote is actually a good start but the style sheets do not work so there is no customization.

There has to be a good solution.  Instead of purchasing a $3000 music server (which ultimately is a computer with software), the MJ and MC can be the solution.  There just has to be a way to control it remotely.  Other products like Audiostation do some of this with the Audiotron but do not have the great features of the JRiver products.

lalbert

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 10:44:42 am »

More information on the "Web Remote" from the plug-ins downloads section.  If you want to use your own StyleSheet you have to make one called "styles.css" and place it in the "C:\Program Files\J River\MediaXXX\Data" directory depending if you have MediaJukebox or Media Center.

This seems to work great.  I am able to now customize the look of the "Web Remote" web page.

I need to now go in an tinker with the code.  Time to get the C++ books out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up