INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with audio install, patch cables  (Read 631 times)

BadDog

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
Help with audio install, patch cables
« on: March 04, 2004, 01:23:51 pm »

Installing a 60w x 4 amp and a head unit.  I need to run patch cables between the head unit and amp for L + R and the Sub pre outs.  Went to Radio Shack and got the standard 3' audio cables.  Salesman tried to get me to go with the gold plated contact cables.  Said it would sound better.  I doubted that you could hear the difference.  The standard cables were about 6 bucks per pair and the gold ones were around 13 bucks.  Would not the audio quality be determined by the least best conductor in the whole schematic (taking into account various frequencies and power levels)?  I don't think the amp would be full of gold contacts.

Tim T.

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Help with audio install, patch cables
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 02:00:22 pm »

The salesman was in fact technically correct. Gold is the best conductor and it doesn't corrode. The cheaper cables have nickle/silver-plated plugs - while the nickle/silver alloy won't easily corrode, it is also not a very good conductor. Audibly gold connectors will make some subtle differrences espeacialy at the higher frequencies.

However, the more important factor IS the quality and guage of the copper wire. The more pure (99%) and heavier the gauge, the less resistance and therefore the better the transfer of ALL frequencies. This is quite audible. The highs will be crisp and transparent and the low end will sound full and natural.

Using lower grade cables is like trying to squeeze the output of a fire hydrant into a garden hose.

The same is also true for speaker cables - regardless of the size of the speakers or the power of the amplifier. Use 10 guage Monster type cable w/ 99% pure copper wire. Even in a 20 ft run the voltage drop and frequency loss will be negligeble. Your ears will be smiling! :)
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up