INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Doof: MC 11 Won't Install  (Read 3971 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Doof: MC 11 Won't Install
« on: September 01, 2004, 09:29:04 am »

Basically what happens is... I can't install MC. It's been going on for a while now. I get the "MC is preparing the Install Wizard" progress bar box, but then once that's finished it dissappears and nothing happens.

I tried uninstalling MC and all plugins and removing every trace I could find of them from the registry, and then rebooting. No luck. So now I'm completely MC-less.

Any ideas?

Try using WinRAR to decompress the files in the MediaCenter1100xx.exe file.

Then run InstallWizard.exe.  If it won't run, use www.dependencywalker.com on InstallWizard.exe to see what the problem is.

Let us know what you find.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Doof: MC 11 Won't Install
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 09:32:58 am »

BTW, we've heard this from a few people now.  If you're having this problem, please try the same thing and let us know what the problem is.

Thanks.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 11:50:20 am »

It happens to me when I tried out WinPatrol, Spyguard and Spyblaster. After deinstalling them it worked again, but right now MC 11.0.72 is very unstable. It crashes and dissapear all the time. It might be my system or that specific version.
Still have Spybot installed.

It appears that quite a bunch of software has problems after XP-SP2 installation! I had to deinstall and reinstall quite a number of programs such as Easy CD Creator 5 and BackupMyPC to access the CD burner again.

Omni

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 12:21:33 pm »

It happens to me when I tried out WinPatrol, Spyguard and Spyblaster. After deinstalling them it worked again, but right now MC 11.0.72 is very unstable. It crashes and dissapear all the time. It might be my system or that specific version.

That's very troubling to hear.  I just discovered this morning that my current MC11 has "timed out."  I'm now having to resort to MusicMatch's "Music On-Demand" and "Radio On-Demand" to fill my home office with some decent background noise.  (I'm testing out their new Music On Demand" service as a possible replacement for Rhapsody.)

But regardless, I would rather be listening to my APE encoded lossless CD's!  But I can't, and given all the problem reports I am seeing with this particular build, it looks like I am going to be without my music for a bit. :( :(  (I would reinstall MC10, but as I mentioned in another thread, I built a new system recently, and I'm trying to keep the system bloat down to a minimum, at least for a while anyway.)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 01:03:22 pm »

Omni,
I don't think there are widespread problems with build 72.  It will give you a 30 day trial.

Omni

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 03:12:43 pm »

Omni,
I don't think there are widespread problems with build 72.  It will give you a 30 day trial.

Oh, it's not the "trial" part that worries me.  (You have a customer for life with me, so I'll buy it the same day I download it regardless. :P)  It's just that right now I am already having a minor stability problem with my memory timings, so I just don't want to add to the mix until I work that out.

Off topic, but running memtest86 and Prime95 day after day and night after night is really starting to get on my nerves. :-\  I thought I was good to go a couple of weeks ago--even managed to play Doom 3 for hours on end without incident--but the other day I had a spontaneous system reboot, so now I'm on a mission to achieve rock solid stability while still maximizing my performance.  8)

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 08:12:15 am »

i use spybot and spyblaster with no problems...in fact ive found mc11 (after build 20 ish) to be at least as stable as v10

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2004, 08:28:32 am »

Well, unzipping it in winrar and installing that way seemed to do the trick, although it sat for a really long time on the "Cleaning Installation Directory" part.

I then got a splash screen stating that I had 30 days of my trial left, but there were no buttons to press that would let me get past it. I later found out that I could just close the window. :P

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2004, 08:37:30 am »

Strange.  Can you see if the original package will run now?

Thanks.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 09:52:20 am »

Sorry it took so long to get back on this.

No, the original package wouldn't install. I always had to extract all the files using WinRAR.

But, I just formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP SP2 last night, so once I get to MC, I'll let you know if the problem persists.

Shadowen

• World Citizen
  • He was but a shadow of his former self...
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 10:42:11 pm »

I used dependancy walker and after running a profile it stops after loading the RICHED32.DLL file on the "bad" system.  According to a "good" system, the next one that is supposed to load is VERSION.DLL.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2004, 12:30:18 pm »

Does it say it's failing to load version.dll?

Is version.dll present on the system?

Shadowen

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2004, 09:55:16 pm »

Does it say it's failing to load version.dll?

Is version.dll present on the system?

It gives no failure message.  It simply stops after completing the loading of the riched32.dll without any messages.  The version.dll file is present in the system32 folder.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2004, 07:16:57 am »

Are you using XP service pack 2?

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2004, 09:51:21 am »

Service Pack 2 is not the problem as I could install it after a fresh XP-SP2 installation.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2004, 10:01:20 am »

Service Pack 2 is not the problem as I could install it after a fresh XP-SP2 installation.
That only proves that it works some of the time.  What we're seeing is a significant increase in license restore and installation problems, and I'm trying to find out whether it MIGHT be related to SP2.

It could be something else, including bugs of ours, but if the problems are mostly on SP2, it gives us an important clue.

Shadowen

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2004, 05:32:26 pm »

Are you using XP service pack 2?

The problematic system is running SP2.   I have 3 systems running SP2.  MC 11.0.72 installed without incident on all three systems.  I upgraded to MC 11.0.82 on the three systems and encountered this error on one of them.  Trying to go back to MC 11.0.72 no longer works on the problematic system either.

The only software I installed on the problematic system between the deployment of MC 11.0.72 and MC 11.0.82 was Ad-Aware Personal Edition SE (which is only running in a passive mode).  I also ran Spybot S&D on the problematic system (which was installed prior to MC 11.0.72) and detected and removed some spyware components.

I am not sure if any of this is related , but perhaps it can help in determining the cause.

Shadowen

Shadowen

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2004, 05:58:19 pm »

I got it working!  I discovered that another application had been installed called Spamfighter (http://www.spamfighter.com/).  I uninstalled it and then Media Center installed properly.

I am not sure if it was resolved by uninstalling Spamfighter, or by something fixed in MC 11.0.84, but in either case I am happy once more (Although I had to use a license restore to get it up again :().

Shadowen

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2004, 06:01:32 pm »

Good news.  I hope you can report this to spamfighter.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2004, 09:05:15 am »

I've never had Spamfighter installed. I did have a couple of anti-spyware apps installed (but not running), though.

Anyway, it's kind of a moot point at the moment. I scrubbed my system and now it all works fine.

benrad

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2004, 11:05:15 am »

I installed Spywareguard, and had this same problem. Removed SpywareGuard and it all worked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up