INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BUG: Rename files  (Read 1707 times)

jlar310

• Recent member
BUG: Rename files
« on: November 20, 2002, 09:21:48 am »

If you adjust the case (i.e, "you" to "You") of an entry in the library and then use the file renaming tool to rename
the file in the same location as the original, you get an error message and the file gets BLOWN AWAY!

This was a problem in 7.x and is still there in 8.0.388.

Of course, this is happening because Windows is case insensitive when it comes to file names. But Media Jukebox should be smart enough to handle this situation.

PLEASE FIX THIS!

Fastyves

• World Citizen
  • Let me think about it !
Re: BUG: Rename files
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2002, 12:48:37 pm »

If I've got it, you rename your file in your music folder (using Windows Explorer, for instance), then you go to MJ and rename the same title to reflect the change you made first - is that right ?

That can't work, because, using the renaming tool, you'll try to change the properties of an entry in MJ database that is reflecting to a file that doesn't exist anymore since it has been renamed.

Way to do :
  • Delete into MJ the file you want to rename (uncheck "Also delete file from hard drive" !)
  • Rename your file in your music folder
  • Re-import your file (that will create a new entry in MJ database reflecting to the renamed file)

You, also can try an easier way : in MJ, select the track you want to rename > Properties > Tools > Rename File From Properties - and see if it gives you what you want.

Yves.

jlar310

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2002, 07:22:37 am »

No, that is not the procedure. I am not doing anything manaully outside of MJ. And the point is not about HOW to accomplish the task. The point is that if you're not careful, MJ can whack your file and it's gone for good!!!

Let's say you've got a library entry with a song titled "Let It Bleed" with a capital I on "It". Let's assume that the actual disk file is "C:\Music\Let It Bleed.mp3".

Now, if you edit the song title (from within MJ) to "Let it Bleed" with a lower case "i". Then you later use the file renaming tool with a renaming rule that would result in "C:\Music\Let it Bleed.mp3". When you save the changes and MJ attempts to rename the file, you get an error message and your file is gone! Neither the original nor the newly named file are on the disk!!!

Yes, I know that there are other ways to accomplish this task, but again, the problem is that MJ can destroy files.

PLEASE have somebody on the development team try the above procedure and verify this bug.

Jeff

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2002, 08:02:00 am »

I don't have 8 to test with, but I just tried it with the latest beta of 9 and the problem isn't there anymore. (that I can find)

Not sure if 8.0 will get updated with a fix or not, but 9.0 is pretty good now...

Thanks jlar310.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2002, 09:22:36 am »

I can't seem to replicate that in V8.388.  However if the file is set read only or if been held open by another prog ie Explorer it can cause a similar issue.

Graham

hvy_duty

• Recent member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2002, 05:25:09 pm »

I am kinda lost I thought if you renamed the file in MJ it only renamed in the MJ data base. If you renamed the file from Properties it updated the file on the HD as long as update changed files was checked. I like the fix capitalization(in tools), bring up title case in the window it does what you want it will change the cap I to i I haven't lost a file yet.

Michael Horton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2002, 05:41:07 pm »

I had this problem with an early beta of MJ8 and reported it then after losing a whole mess of files in one fell swoop. Haven't had any problems like this since the full release of MJ8, or with MJ9. Scary though, 'cause I do what Fastyves is talking about pretty frequently.

stevowilson

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2002, 04:53:52 am »

This may be round about, but when I want to change the title of a song I've downloaded I go to the drive it's in and rename it there.  Then I play the song to see if it still does play ('cause MJ is sensitive that way).  Then I go to "Recently Played" and send it to a playlist I've created for it, or wait till you need it then send it.  It plays the new renamed version and if I have to I just delete the old one.
:)

jlar310

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2002, 03:50:04 am »

Perhaps I should have mentioned I'm running on Windows NT Workstation 4.0 SP6a. Maybe that has something to do with it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up