INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making a MP3 library from CD's  (Read 3266 times)

ZaxonXP45

• Recent member
  • time is a luxury today
Making a MP3 library from CD's
« on: October 01, 2003, 01:31:02 am »

Hi all,

I found some problem with the Media Jukebox 8 when I try to import some MP3's from a burned CD to the media library.

The problem is that MJ8 making a labels for these CD's using some strange "hexadecimal like" strings and later on there is no chance to rename them (the rename option is not active).  :-/

Will anybody fix this problem soon?

Regards,
Zaxon
Everything is possible - this is only question of time.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Making a MP3 library from CD's
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 01:58:35 pm »

Are you importing the mp3's directly from the CD? Best method would be to copy them to a media directory on your HD, then import. I've only seen hex notation when the CD files are still in CD-Audio format. This occurs because the files are not really files, and the hex notation points to their physical address on the CD.

If they are truly files then you should see something like...
X:\mp3\Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny - Dreamer Deceiver.mp3

10-27

ZaxonXP45

• Recent member
  • time is a luxury today
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 01:02:25 am »

Yes, I'm importing directly from the CD's because I want to have them on CD's as they are, but with a possibility to change the ID3 tags and keep these changes in the library on the disk. In this situation I will have corrected ID3 tags without changing the files on the CD, (which is not possible anyway without rewriting the CD again).

The problem is that currently MJ8 doing this well except that it creates the entry in the "media library" tree where each CD has the "hex label" and there is no way to change it. I think is a bug. The MJ8 should keep this "hex string" somewhere for itself, but it should allow to change the CD label.

Your suggestion about copying the files on the HDD is not what I would expect from the MJ8. I'm saving the MP3 files on the CD's to save space on my HDD.

Everything is fine except the fact that is impossible to know which of CD the MJ8 asking for, when I try to play the MP3 files which are currently on the CD.

I can make some screenshots if it's not so clear yet.

Regards,
Zaxon

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 09:09:13 am »

When you try to tag edit a read only file in MJ, it will create a copy that looks like this...

s:\mp3\Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny - Dreamer DeceiverXXXXXX.mp3

Your situation is somewhat similar, since the files are read only on the disk. Some info is stored in the DB only (such as rating), while others are stored in the file (artist, album, etc.). When it can't store in the file, then the copy is created. Bring on the screenshots.

10-27

ZaxonXP45

• Recent member
  • time is a luxury today
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 03:01:29 pm »

in fact MJ8 didn't make a copy of the file. Instead it makes only the changes in the library and file from "removable drive" (CD) is untouched.

And the files are on CDs, not on the disk.

There are the screenshots with the comments:

http://www.albedo.art.pl/~murphy/MJ8/cds/screen1.jpg

http://www.albedo.art.pl/~murphy/MJ8/cds/screen2.jpg

The problem is that the "rename" option is inactive when I'm right-mouse-clicking on the CD label (red elipse). Also the file location (marked as the "original name") shouldn't contain such strange "hex-like" string.
For me it looks definitely like a bug. :(

Is with these screenshots clear now what the problem is?

Regards,
Zaxon

netlohcs

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2003, 02:25:02 am »

Hi Zaxon,

i wanted to do the same thing as you and encountered the same problem.

I think i found a solution for it:

In the "media libary" there's also a section named "CD Media". Here you can rename the CD's. This the field "volume" in the MJ database.

Unfortunately you can't assign this field directly in the Tree&View Settings, only "Location" (with the HEX-string) you can choose.

The solution is to use one of the Custom fields (there a 3), rename one to "Volume" and then edit the files in the database and set their field "Volume" to the Name of your CD you assigned before in "CD Media". This is done easily by right-clicking on the CD in "CD-Media", "file properties", and write in the renamed Custom Field (Volume) the name of your CD, then save.

There will be errors, that it can't be stored on the CD..but it's stored in the database.

I hope this helps you organising your Mp3-CD's.

Carsten

ZaxonXP45

• Recent member
  • time is a luxury today
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2003, 11:45:38 am »

Hi Carsten,

This is obviously some workaround, but still inconvenence remains. I will help me to avoid to change to many times the CD’s when I decide to copy some MP3’s on my portable player. Thanks for the hint. :)

I just wonder is this discussion forum is read by the developers, who (eventually) might have fix such problrems???

What is “funny”, that the MJ8 remembers the original labels when I try to play such CDs:

http://www.albedo.art.pl/~murphy/MJ8/cds/screen3.jpg

I wish that developers read this and they fix this problem allowng to rename the CD labels in the library “location”.

Regards,
Zaxon
Pages: [1]   Go Up