INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unexpected batch change of artist tag!!!  (Read 1782 times)

giusb

• I might be a porcupine.
Unexpected batch change of artist tag!!!
« on: March 01, 2004, 11:42:34 am »

Hello,

I am testing a few media players, and I just used MJ to "import media" from my hard disk.

The very unpleasant surprise at the end of the process was that the Artist tag of all but a handful of my 1600+ music files have been changed to "Eric B & Rakim" (of whom I actually have a couple of tracks).
I checked, and all files appear in fact to have been modified at the time of the import process.
This is really weird and incredibly annoying, as you all can imagine.

Further, the unregistered version of MJ won't let me modify the tags.

The only vague clue that I have about what may have happened is the following. One of the other players I am testing is Apple's iTunes, and I had just used that program to quickly fix the Artist's tag of... an "Eric B & Rakim" track.

iTunes was running when I started MJ's import process, and that now infamous track may have stilll been the selected one, or something. I realize that this is probably not going to be helpful to figure things out.

Anyhow, I thought I'd let folks know, and I'd truly appreciate any comments and suggestions.

Cheers, after all,
Giuseppe

pipsqueak

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
Re:Unexpected batch change of artist tag!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 11:48:35 pm »

nice!

not sure if this helps but in Media Centre (the big brother of MJ) there is an option that lets you retag your files according to their filename and/or directory structure. If your files are well categorised it will be a quick way to fix things, otherwise ...

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 05:34:52 am »

MJ does not change the tags when you import.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 08:01:24 am »

Tagging works in the unregistered version.  Maybe your files are read only?  Maybe you're setting ID3V1 tags and reading ID3V2?  Why do you think that tagging isn't working?

pentup

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 10:42:12 am »

exact same thing happened to me, but i had about 8000 mp3s at the time.  MJ8 does have a Fill Tags from File Name thingie, but it would lock up on like every 15 songs for me...  only advice I got from the "support" staff here was to buy media center.  

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 02:14:17 pm »

the other advice would be, and is normaly given (and i have never seen it not given is) that some id3v2 tags or the media could be corrupt, and that is normaly the problem why MJ8 would stop. so taking a few files at a time importing them could find the files that is corrupt or MJ8 has a problem with.

normaly if this happens and it is on the current version they are working on, they ask for you to send them the file so they can take a look.

it would be verry hard for a company to keep going back to old software and fix a problem that only a few people are having a problem with.

MC9 And MC10 does a bit better working with files that happen to be corrupt.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up