INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: windows media lossless pros and cons?  (Read 2308 times)

ankpualani

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
windows media lossless pros and cons?
« on: March 25, 2004, 08:28:04 pm »

right now I use .ape files but I dont think the world will catch on...certainly any windows format will be included in the format wars
are there copy right restrictions or other reasons to be wary ?
thank you ? ?

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:windows media lossless pros and cons?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 08:52:04 pm »

While wma is more recognized then ape, not all machines that handle wma, will play wma lossless.

It's about the same size, maybe a touch bigger. I have used both and have found no differences...
-

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 09:19:52 pm »

right now I use .ape files but I dont think the world will catch on...certainly any windows format will be included in the format wars
are there copy right restrictions or other reasons to be wary ?
thank you ? ?

Biggest thing I've found is that most any Windows app that can read WMA can read lossless WMA's.  So I can drag audio into my video editing suite, or share a music playlist with a buddy over Microsoft's 3Degrees MusicMix (very cool app!) and it "just works".  Good luck with other lossless formats.  Other than that there's no audible difference between APE, WMA, FLAC, SHN, WAV, etc.

-Doug

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 10:07:04 pm »

There's one difference.
Using APE files I can create APL fiels from a cue sheet to play indivisual sections.
With WM lossless, I can't do that.

Anyone have a good method of have an entire CD in lossless and playing only certain selections?

rocketsauce

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2004, 10:34:42 am »

are there copy right restrictions or other reasons to be wary?

I guess it depends on how paranoid you are.

Currently, Microsoft allows users to disable digital rights management when encoding to windows media formats and current versions of Windows allow users to play files that don't have DRM. Will this always be the case? Noone knows.

Also, by using windows media formats, you're kind of assuming that your music will always reside on a computer running Windows. Even though you might not think so now, it's entirely conceivable that at some point in the future you might want to play those files on an OS that is not Microsoft/Windows Media friendly.

Those are a couple of reasons I would choose a more "open" lossless format like ape or flac.

Rob

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2004, 12:35:23 pm »

Good point.

Linux comes to mind for a possible future operating system.

Would really love to get rid of all the problems of Windows.

I am open to a change in the future if only a viable operating system would come forth to replace clunky ol Windows.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2004, 05:43:10 pm »

Doesn't WMA lossless have some tagging limitations in comparison to APE & FLAC?  I seem to remember it not being as flexible (though MC's database makes up for this issue).

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 01:33:02 am »

Also remember that default WMA settings (at lossless) perform normalization so when you rip and then attempt a burn you dont actually get a 1:1 bit perfect copy  ::) this can be turned off but its not simply in options (As I dont use it I cant remember but think powertoys can do it)...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  
Pages: [1]   Go Up