INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Move/Copy options (again)  (Read 1097 times)

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
Move/Copy options (again)
« on: March 27, 2004, 08:53:15 pm »

So the other problem part of my file transfer escapade has been how to COPY the tracks from one system to the other instead of moving them.

Both "rename file from properties" and "find and replace" delete the source file and if I do a manual XCOPY, MC then gives the dreaded binary Overwrite Yes/No prompt for each file.

There was a recent thread about this and since this has been on my bug/wish list for over a year I thought I'd bring it up again.

It might be nice if...

Operations that might result in a file move had an option to "keep source file" or "perform copy instead of move" or something.

That overwrite confirmation dialog had more disposition options...
Yes: Overwrite this file.
Yes To All:  ... all files.
No: Don't overwrite the file and Don't save the tag change.
No To All:  ... all files.
Use Existing:  Use existing destination file.
Use Existing All:  Use all existing destination files.
Cancel:  Cancel.

Move/Copy had options to preseerve/generate a directory structure instead of just moving/copying files.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Move/Copy options (again)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 08:13:25 am »

Move/Copy had options to preserve/generate a directory structure instead of just moving/copying files.
Move/Copy is still there.  Does copy not work?

RemyJ

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 12:57:10 pm »

Move/Copy had options to preserve/generate a directory structure instead of just moving/copying files.
Move/Copy is still there.  Does copy not work?

The problem with Move/Copy has always been that it Moves/Copies files only, not the directory structure.  If you select 1000 tracks from various artists and albums and select a destination directory, it will copy all 1000 files into that 1 directory.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2004, 01:22:13 pm »

I simply go ahead and move/copy the files, then go to the location where I placed them and use "Rename Files from Properties" where I once again have control over directory and naming rules.  This produce the desired results.
. . . the game is rigged

Wile E. One

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2004, 04:51:55 pm »

I simply go ahead and move/copy the files, then go to the location where I placed them and use "Rename Files from Properties" where I once again have control over directory and naming rules.  This produce the desired results.

This can work...but it very much depends on your directory structure....

Let me tell you.... it doesn't work at all for my Miscellaneous directory.... or Assorted Rock...

I only make a directory for an artist if I have more than a couple songs... just never made sense to me to have a directory (and possibly a sub-directory for album) for 1 song.

Maybe that's just me.... but I'd much rather see MC be able to replicate an existing file structure...than having to recreate it myself on the other end.... or.... use Windows to do the transfer...and then try and figure out how to update MC's library.... not fun!

Now isn't this just typical of whereever this is?
Pages: [1]   Go Up