INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: *.rrg file  (Read 2400 times)

walstib

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
*.rrg file
« on: November 06, 2002, 10:28:17 am »

I have seen several threads refering to *.rrg files which presumably are the registration files. I do not appear to have a *.rrg file on my PC even though the software is registered. Could this be the reason I am having CD rip and burn problems?
Also should there be a Help>Backup License option in MJ8, cos I do not have one.
Currently running MJ8.0.388

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: *.rrg file
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2002, 10:34:42 am »

*.rrg's are fossilized license files from v7 and previous. MediaJukebox7.rrg is valid for v8.

Rip/burn probs:
Check your ASPI version (4.72 is latest). Is MJ using internal or external?

Post your sys info from Help>System Info

Xenno

walstib

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2002, 11:46:26 am »

System info is

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.388
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: AMD Athlon 1459 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 135 MB

Internet Explorer: 5.00.2614.3500
ComCtl32.dll: 5.00.2614.3600
Shlwapi.dll: 5.00.2614.3500
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3612.1700
wnaspi32.dll: 4.56 (1001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1997 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: N/A

How would I upadte the aspi file?

I think MJ must be using external since the 'use internal ASPI layer ' check box is grayed out on the CD writer settings tab.

Sorry for the delay, tried several times in the past week but your site timed out as too busy.
Thanks for your help.

xen-uno

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2002, 11:58:29 am »

Go to the Adaptec site and find ASPI v4.72 and download. Extract the file to a clean, known directory. Close all open apps. Go to Start>Run and browse to that extracted ASPI directory. Run aspinit.exe. If install goes well it will ask you to reboot. Do so. Go to that ASPI directory again and run aspichk.exe. If you see a mix of 4.6 and 4.71.2 numbers then your good. Run MJ and go to the Use Internal ASPI check box. If it's still greyed out then you have a bad MJ installation. I take it you know what to do from here.

I've heard W98 works better with external ASPI....so if that box is not greyed out than uncheck it.

Xenno

walstib

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2002, 06:09:20 am »

Hi Xen-uno

I updated the aspi to V4.72 as you suggested, still no joy. So I have now uninstalled MJ8 taking the remove all registry data option and reinstalled V8.0.336.
However, it has still retained  my registration data and has opened as a fully licenced copy, despite the uninstall and still will not rip or cut CD's.
Both Nero and EZ Cd will rip and cut on my setup and MJ8 also did before I registered it. How on earth can I get this to work?!!! I am getting somewhat fed up with it, not because of what I paid for it, but it was so good in trial mode and promised so much more when registered, but  for some reason it just won't deliver.  Would buying MJ9 solve the problem? Or is there a way to uninstall so that I can re-register V8?

xen-uno

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2002, 06:47:47 am »

That may be it...did you say Nero? :o Many people have had an interaction problem between Nero and MJ. Why problems started after registering is beyond me. If it's not too much trouble...then uninstall Nero, EZ CD, and MJ (backup license...uninstall MJ...reinstall MJ ( b388 )...restore license). I will bet MJ will run flawlessly then (and MJ encompasses everything the other two can do - or >95% of it).

Rx

edit > You can probably put EZ CD back on, but wait until MJ is running fine & dandy

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2002, 07:42:33 am »

I think there was a problem with MJ and Nero but it seems Nero had an Update that fixed a problem and this also fixed the problem between MJ and Nero.

at least thats what a few users have said in this forum.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2002, 05:04:27 am »

Can you describe the problems that occur when you try to rip and burn CD's, along with the complete error messages if any? I assume you close down the other CD rip/burn programs before running MJ. Let us know the settings in the "devices" and "cd writing" options dialogs.

As far as the "internal ASPI" checkbox. On Win98 that should always be unchecked and "greyed out" (disabled) since that is a feature only available on WinNT/2000/XP.

- John T.
JRiver, Inc.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

walstib

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2002, 09:44:32 am »

Thanks, I don't have any other CD writer package open when using MJ and in fact I do not used EX CD anyway. Just legacy software on my system, so removing is not problem. I would like to keep the Nero on though, currently 5.5.8.9.
If the *.rrg files are no longer used, how do you backup / restore  the licence info in V8 of MJ. There does not appear to be any info in the help or menu options regarding this..

John:
To answer you, the problem is primarily that MJ just hangs once a CD is put in the drive and will no longer respond to anything until the CD is removed. There are no error messages.

As for the settings:
Devices: Audio CD:
 Digital - checked
 Use CDDB - checked
Audio CD Copy:
 Drive: I
 Type: Auto, (also greyed out anyway)
 Copy mode: Digital large buffer
 Speed: Max
All other boxes un checked.

CD Writing:
  Cd Writer: Cyberdrive CW058D
 Speed 32X
General:
Eject after write checked.
Audio CD:
Decode MP3 files to CD checked.
Everything else unchecked or greyed.

There is no longer an ASPI layer check box, which is probably because having re-installed I have gone back down to 8.0.336.

I hope that asnswers every one.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2002, 09:52:54 am »

>> If the *.rrg files are no longer used, how
>> do you backup / restore  the licence info in V8 of MJ.
Early Versions of MJ8 used RRG files, users were to send an e-mail i think to Gateley to get info on how to convert that RRG file to a Unline Restore Option J River now uses.

MJ8 and above can now be rstored On-Line, Or a Registration file (good for 14 days can be downloaded).
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

walstib

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2002, 11:49:28 am »

Oh Great Joy

Just thought you would like to know, the problem is, as you suggested it might be, caused by Nero. I have just updated Nero to V5.5.917 and everything now seems to work. At last I have cut my first CD and I am now full of the Springs of Joy :D

Thanks for your help, 'spose I'll have to go for MJ9 now.
Yet another convert.
Pages: [1]   Go Up