INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - Sob, Sob, Sob  (Read 3176 times)

WolfWalker

• Galactic Citizen
OT - Sob, Sob, Sob
« on: November 19, 2002, 11:44:08 pm »

woke up this morning came into my office turned on my pc and stated up mj. selected a couple of play list for my morning wake up music. Gasp music cant be found what says I.  Select some more music same thing ummm sayth I.

Open up windows explore ummm some thing is missing darn drive g is gone ummm open up the case no drive g is still here any loose connection nope.  So me being the person that I am take out the drive connected to my other pc that was a no go on that the drive is dead dead as a dead can be it is a brand spanking new WD 120 gig hd with all all all of my unbacked up music.

cry cry cry cry :'(
So much music so little time!

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
Re: OT - Sob, Sob, Sob
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2002, 12:01:05 am »

> all all all of my unbacked up music.

If this is your first time, you have my sincere sympathies.  :'(

If not, you don't.  :-/

Scronch

P.S. - It doesn't take that long to blast a copy across the network to another PC, or even to burn all the song files to CD-R's.

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2002, 12:04:47 am »

I'm very sorry for that, Wolf.

This is something that is always on my recurring nightmares... losing all my music... thousands of tracks... having the original CDs for some of them but not having any other backup for most of them. Years of pleasure discovering new music, enjoying it and treasuring it... That live version of a favourite track never released commercially... hundreds of little jewels that you aren't even aware of its special meanning till you lose them.

I think I better spend some money and go duplicate the whole thing before it's too late... I don't know... one never thinks this is gonna happen... till it happens...

I know how I would feel in your case, Wolf...  and I'm really sorry for that.

My regards,

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2002, 12:14:43 am »

Wolf I similar thing happened to a friend of mine.  We trawled the internet and found a program called R-Studio at the following site.

http://www.r-tt.com/

After testing the ability of it using the free eval copy we purchased it and recovered over 4000 files.

It might be worth a try!

Graham

WolfWalker

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2002, 12:24:07 am »

thanks for the info and yes this is the first time this has ever happened to me the hd is not even a month old so the place i purchased it should replace it i hope I really dont want to rma it wd.

Lets look on this as a positive I get to rip all my music again.

So any one have any suggestion I was using mp3 vbr high/normal dir setup genere/artist/album  file name artist-album-track#-title.

I think I will just go for the new wd200 gigs instead.

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2002, 12:47:31 am »

Someday when I re-rip it will be lossless.

Scronch

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2002, 12:54:49 am »

Yeah - go APE

WolfWalker

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2002, 01:18:15 am »

can you give me some ideas about ape I dont know any thing about it.  How big are the file sizes.

I am just thinking maybe I should do something like this just copy the music to wave and the encode using another file format and keep the wave for backup

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2002, 01:47:40 am »

No, don't keep wave files around.  Lossless encoders keep the exact same information (you can always re-create the wave file if you want) and use about half the space.

Go check out http://www.monkeysaudio.com.  It's Matt's baby, so using it with MJ makes perfect sense.

Scronch

WolfWalker

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2002, 02:15:34 am »

I like it.  I guess I should go for the wd 200 after all 500 megs for a album wow

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2002, 02:40:06 am »

But, I know what's going to happen. We'll all rip our collections using a lossless format.  Never have to re-rip again.  But then, the big labels will come out with a new CD format with more <insert audio quality here> than the old one.  And of course, they will re-release all of the old CD's, so that lots of people will buy them.  Does this make sense from a technical standpoint?  Probably not, although consider the "soft vinyl" vs "harsh CD" arguments.  Does it make sense from a marketing standpoint?  Absolutely (just consider the "soft vinyl" vs "harsh CD" arguments).  And there is one more technicality that is their trump card--the new CD format will have an iron-clad protection scheme, so this "technicality" is really a marketing scam.  Are the labels driven by technicalities or marketing?  I think you know the answer.  Think about it; all music put out up to now is lost to the labels.  They have to somehow make the consumer want to pay for copy-protected versions of the old music.  How long until this happens?  I predict it'll start around 2005.  You never know...

Scronch

zevele10

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2002, 02:48:56 am »

Don't make sens to back-up my music as APE don't make a sens to me .
I just have much to much songs.
I do not want to have shelfs of cdw-back-up.
But i waiting to see how DV D writter works. Because look like you can put hudge number of songs on one DVD cd.
But can you play them ? If yes using which program ,player

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2002, 02:57:32 am »

Zev, I think the only reasonable backup for a large lossless collection will be additional hard drives.  They should be cheap enough soon.  I know of large engineering firms around here that have backed up to portable disk drives for years.  They just rotate them in and out of the safe each night.

Scronch

zevele10

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2002, 04:42:37 am »

In this case ,you back-up and you do not use it.
A friend has a box -in fact an external drive- where you can change hard drive in a very easy wa y,kind of like with tape player
I do use APE . Now i am working on original 60's psy/garage compilations,to do 'compilations of compilations ' .At this time it is tag and listening.
I rip -sorry- in Xing  because it is the faster. But the final rip would be on APE for the computer and burn to normal cds for back up. Before it ,i need to rip my vinyl compilations as well. This from the start in APE.
I must have allmost 2 meters of psy/garage in cds and more in lp.Because of it Xing for a start.
And i do want to back up the lps on APE . It is hard work to rip them ,so i want to keep it for good.

When i get cds from friends i rip to APE . After this i select :delete [a lot],or  to mp3 and the cream of the cream in APE.

Do anyone knows of a scanner who can scan lLP sleeves?

listening to Spinner the Rockabilly selection. The most fantastic radio for Rockabilly, but in Real  stream .. so not that good.There is a kind of metalic echoe. A small one    ,but the selection is so fantastic

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2002, 04:42:55 am »

Z,

Pick up a DVD Combo (-R, +R, RAM, -RW, +RW) drive. Single sided (all formats) hold 4.7 GB. DBL sided RAM disks => 9.4GB. Read/write speeds much faster than fastest RW drive. You could replace shelves of CD's with a shelf of CD's. Sony has a combo drive for about $250.

10-27

> Do anyone knows of a scanner who can scan lLP sleeves?

A scanner that can do 12" x 12" (30.5 cm x 30.5 cm) wide stuff is going to be very $$$. Higher end image editors usually are able to "stitch" images together.

zevele10

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2002, 04:54:57 am »

I was thinking about the Sony when posting.
Here some questions? And very stupid ones
- i have a cd-w and a DVD  drive . Do i have spot left for the Sony ?
If yes it means i would have to use one of my spot for hard drive?

What can i put on a DVD disc? MP3? APE? Any format?

And after what i do with the cds . Can i play them in any software player?
Can i copy them to hard drive?
Can i play them in my DVD desck [not drive] who plays MP3 if i do DVD discs with mMP3 on it?

According to EAC,my DVD drive is best for rip  cds not in good condition . Better than my Plextor cdw drive . So ,i would like to keep it .

I saw once a scanner  as i wanted but ,as you say $$$$$$.
I do color copys at  Office Depot  [we have it here ]. They have the best price and people working at this section know what they do

xen-uno

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2002, 05:09:14 am »

> i have a cd-w and a DVD  drive . Do i have spot left for the Sony ?

Well...your Mobo has 2 IDE channels capable of 2 drives each. If you have 2 hard drives now...then no for internal DVD drive (you may not have physical space for it either). So the solution is an external DVD (I'm not sure whether this Sony has an external option). Your comp though, needs to have USB 2.0 (1.1 is doggy) and/or FireWire ports.

> What can i put on a DVD disc? MP3? APE? Any format?

Anything...it's just considered a removable hard drive

> And after what i do with the cds . Can i play them in any software player?

MJ, yes. Others? Probably

> Can i copy them to hard drive?

Yes

> Can i play them in my DVD desck [not drive] who plays MP3 if i do DVD discs with mMP3 on it?

Probably (provided you use the right format)

10-27

edit > Think of it as a faster/larger capacity CD-RW drive.

zevele10

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2002, 05:23:53 am »

Thank a lot ! You are of so much help to so many!

I have a tower with 4 hard drives and room for 4 more [i think]
In front of the tower ,i have 3 spots left.
I do not think the Sony is external.
But the Sony look like a very good produce at fair price

xen-uno

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2002, 09:06:02 am »

Z,

The Sony DVD drive I was talking about is the DRX-500A (internal - ~$300) and DRX-500UL (external - FireWire/USB2 - ~$400). Doesn't support DVD-RAM but is good on all the other formats mentioned earlier. The -R format supports dbl sided disks @ 9.4 GB (the others might too). Sounds good, huh? Available in December.

10-27

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2002, 09:21:34 am »

...about the time of the Steelers' last game this year.   ;D

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2002, 09:54:11 am »

>> the drive is dead
did you check the cables?

Reboot?

Somtimes the OS will tage the drive off line if there is a bad cable or ir is loose.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up