Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV  (Read 4516 times)

ZRocker

• Citizen of the Universe
TV
« on: March 31, 2004, 04:18:38 pm »

Bug:
1. Time-shifting doesn't appear to work...it records when pause is pressed, but when you press play (while recording), it does not playback.  I see MC creating the record files, but you can't watch it (time-shifted).  Pressing Stop stops time-shifting and resumes live playback.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
TV
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 05:38:56 pm »

Bug:
1. Time-shifting doesn't appear to work...it records when pause is pressed, but when you press play (while recording), it does not playback.  I see MC creating the record files, but you can't watch it (time-shifted).  Pressing Stop stops time-shifting and resumes live playback.
Try creating a  custom recording profile, and setting the video compression quality to something lower (6 -8  would be a good range).
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

ZRocker

TV
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 06:10:50 pm »

OH...ok, Yaobing...didn't realize it had to be WM format (missed that requirement).  Anyways, it works if I choose the JRiver default timeshifting profile...but, if you try to add a new profile with WM, you have to ch0ose the Compressor...ah what...I thought I chose WM?  Anyways, which codec do I choose...Microsoft Video 1?

bennyd

• Project Leader
Re:TV
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 12:11:18 am »

For me it's all working now,

My recording settings are:

AVI, Xvid, 320x240,PCM
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

ZRocker

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 07:42:56 am »

Yaobing,

I can't encode with audio set to MP3.  I have the Lame ACM codec 3.51 installed, but MC doesn't list it (or list it correctly) as an encoding option.  The codec works as I can use VirtualDub to convert the PCM audio (for example) to MP3 in an AVI file (Divx) that I recorded with MC.

VirtualDub lists Lame MP3 codec correctly and all the possible encoding rates...MC does not (don't even see Lame MP3 listed).  Can you install Lame ACM codec 3.51 (Goggle for it if needed) and test it out?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 09:29:11 am »

Yaobing,

I can't encode with audio set to MP3.  I have the Lame ACM codec 3.51 installed, but MC doesn't list it (or list it correctly) as an encoding option.  The codec works as I can use VirtualDub to convert the PCM audio (for example) to MP3 in an AVI file (Divx) that I recorded with MC.

VirtualDub lists Lame MP3 codec correctly and all the possible encoding rates...MC does not (don't even see Lame MP3 listed).  Can you install Lame ACM codec 3.51 (Goggle for it if needed) and test it out?
I will check it out. Maybe Lame codec is not in the form of a DirectShow Filter? MC TV can only use codecs in filter form.

OH...ok, Yaobing...didn't realize it had to be WM format
Actually it does not have to be in WM format.

Recording to disk file can be done in WM or AVI (with your choice of compressors). Time-shifting DOES NOT use WM format. That is why you have to choose a compressor even if you selected WM on the first page of the Recording Profile wizard.

The default video compressor is JRiver Video Codec, set at highest quality (10). If you can not see JRiver Video Codec, you may have the same registration problem as you had with the time-shifting filters (look for MJVideoEncoder.ax and MJVideoDecoder.ax). Try lower the JRiver codec's quality value if it appears that it takes too much CPU power. A setting of 7 will be good enough with no noticable quality loss. You can also try DIVX compressor which works fine for many users.

ZRocker

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 09:51:43 am »

You can also try DIVX compressor which works fine for many users.

Actually, when I reported the time-shifting problem, I was using DIVX.  MC can record DIVX fine, MC can't time-shift using DIVX...that's why I reported the problem...and that's why I assumed it had to be WM because that worked.

If you can not see JRiver Video Codec, you may have the same registration problem as you had with the time-shifting filters

Correct...those choices aren't there...I will manually register them and try again.  Wonder why MC installer can't register them...any clues?  (using WinXP Pro with latest, greatest everything)

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 10:05:52 am »

Yaobing,

I found Lame ACM codec 3.95 and installed it.

The good news is it is available for use in MC TV. The bad news is it does not work  :-\

It does not show up in TV's audio compressor list as Lame ACM. It is under MPEG Layer-3. It sort of makes sense since ACM works in DirectShow under a uniform wrapper. Before I installed Lame ACM codec, mp3 was available (from Microsoft I guess) but with limited functionality (56kbps max). After installing Lame ACM codec, a whole new range of formats are available under "MPEG Layer-3", with max bitrate 320 kbps. That has to be from Lame I just installed!

When editing your recording profile, select "MPEG Layer-3" as audio compressor, and click Configure.

But selecting anything that Lame added would lead to a recorded video with no sound  ::) Maybe there is a configuration issue. I have not figured out. You may want to play with a little.

UPDATE:

I figured out how to make "LAME mp3" appear in the list of audio compressors.

I have two mp3 codec installed, Fraunhofer, and LAME. The former appears as "MPEG Layer-3" in the list, and after LAME was installed, the LAME selections are just place under "MPEG Layer-3". For some reason there can be only one mp3 listed.

To get "LAME mp3" listed instead of "MPEG Layer-3", I had to change the priority of LAME codec so it is higher than Fraunhofer codec. Now I have "LAME mp3" instead of "MPEG Layer-3". Both are available under "LAME mp3".

But LAME still does not work with TV recording. Maybe it is a bug in LAME 3.95.
Pages: [1]   Go Up