INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can anyone help me set up girder?  (Read 2154 times)

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
Can anyone help me set up girder?
« on: April 01, 2004, 08:19:33 am »

Good Morning,
I am having trouble with setting up girder.  Since there is built in support for it in MC, I thought I would try here first before going to the person who wrote the main program.  I have some basic needs, but am having trouble with getting anything to work.

I have it installed, and am going to the wincommands but am not able to go much beyond that.  I need to make some shortcuts that will make MC do things without actually using the keyboard, but a 10 key keyboard.

Anyone with Girder knowledge and how to make an event stick would really be very helpful.  I am stuck, and don't know what to do.  I have been trying for 3 or 4 days, plus I have read a bunch of documentation, and most of it either does not pertain to MC, or is to Technical for my needs.  

Thank a whole bunch

Drew

I always forget this
Media Center Registered 9.1.316 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium III 930 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 98 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3700.6705 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: LG       CD-RW CED-8120B    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:12  BurnProof:No
  Test mode: Yes /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Re:Can anyone help me set up girder?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 04:21:14 pm »

You need to enable the Keyboard plugin in Girder and learn the commands from that. Mark for instance Play and click on Learn (upper right corner). Then press the key you want to use for play. I use a similar thing in my car, the kids choose playlists with a cheap numerical USB keypad.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 05:26:00 pm »

Mastiff,
Does that mean I have to move the Keyboard.dll into the MC directory where the plug-ins reside?

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 05:46:43 pm »

Mastiff,
That is exactly what I want to do with it, but I still can not figure it out.  I have now lost the MC9.x.gml, so I do not even see the tree to build the commands.....

I must be having one of my stupid days.....

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 06:18:30 pm »

There is a confusing philosophical issue about Girder that is not clearly explained. Basically, Girder has input plugins and action plugins, which need to be enabled. Also Girder seems designed to start up in a "safe" state, with most things switched off.

Input plugins correspond to various types of devices, such as keyboards, remotes, and even network events.

Action plugins correspond to the stuff that Girder does in response to an input, and includes Windows messaging (how Windows programs communicate among each other), simulated keystrokes, simulated menu actions, on-screen displays, etc.

The tricky thing is that by default, many (or all?) of the input and action plugins are not enabled! Not only that, but the default startup state for Girder is to have input devices disabled as well.

To get MC to work, I had to ensure that the keyboard & X10 input plugins were enabled, as well as the Windows messaging action plugin. You do this in Girder/Settings/Plugins. You ALSO need to check the box for auto-enable input device and/or enable input devices on the main Girder menu (or press F9). (Note: this is all done within GIRDER, you don't have to change anything in MC)

While you're at it, make sure that Girder is auto-saving changes to your command file.

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 07:31:06 am »

well, I must say, I am a little more confused, about my situation, however I do thank you for the information.  

I will explain what I am trying to do, and see if any of you can shed some light.  I am going on a 3 month road trip in my car.  It only holds one cd.  I am going to put my laptop in the car with about 6 gigs of music, and use a fm transmitter to get to the radio to play the songs.  I went on a short trip about a month ago, and realized that having my laptop on the front seat was not a good idea.  I went out and bought a 10 key, which for those of you that do not know it, it is a simple keyboard of the numbers off of a regular keyboard.  Accountants like them with a laptop because it makes entering in numbers easier.  Anyway, I am trying to get this 10 key to have some basic functions.  Play/pause, Previous, next, and maybe the ability to choose some different playlists, however, at this point, I would be happy with play/pause and next, since I can't even get one working.

This is what I have done.
I ran the girder.exe file, and it placed some files in the ....data/extras file within the JRiver directory.  I have opened up girder and opened up the file mc9_131_usbuirt.gml.  I did this because the key pad is a usb hook up.  I then went in to the wmessage commands/playback.  I expanded the list, and chose those items one at a time, that I wanted to use, and set a command by going to the bottom right, choosing keyboard, and then scrolling through the list till I got to Numpad0 - Numpad9.  I only chose 5 as play/pause, and hit apply, then 4 & 6 for Next and Previous, and the + and - keys as vol up and vol down.  None of it seems to work however.  

Again.  Any help would be appreciated as I am really spinning my wheels.  One note, is that I did this with the Play/pause highlighted, not the event string below it.

Thanks   Drew

Snuffy2

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Got Corn?
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 08:24:15 am »

OK I just finished setting up Girder myself (for a remote however) & I think I can help.

I have opened up girder and opened up the file mc9_131_usbuirt.gml.  I did this because the key pad is a usb hook up.  I then went in to the wmessage commands/playback.  

You'll probably want to open the normal GML, not the usbuirt one.  That one is designed with a device called USBUIRT.

I expanded the list, and chose those items one at a time, that I wanted to use, and set a command by going to the bottom right, choosing keyboard, and then scrolling through the list till I got to Numpad0 - Numpad9.  I only chose 5 as play/pause, and hit apply, then 4 & 6 for Next and Previous, and the + and - keys as vol up and vol down.  None of it seems to work however.  

What you are doing by selecting keyboard down at the bottom is assigning the command to SEND the keyboard command.  

You want to assign commands to respong to keyboard commands. Here's how i'd reccomend doing it.

Plugin your USB keyboard.

Then, goto Settings & then Plugins & make sure that SendMessage & Keyboard are checked.  Hit Apply & then OK to enable the plugins.

Now goto the WMessage command that you'd like to use. In the top right is a button called Learn Event.  Hit that, then on your USB keyboard, hit the key you'd like to assign the command to (ie. 5 for Play/Pause).

Save the GML

Try it out, it should work now (should is the key word here).  Write back if your having more problems.

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 12:04:56 pm »

Okay, I have some funtions working.  Wow, this is really easy once you understand the in/out funtion of girder.  It is probably more recognizable if you write code, but I don't.

I have one problem left to solve, and then I will forever be in your service.

I can not get it to play.  I have the next and previous working, I have the +5 and -5 working on the + and - key, I can even get it to stop, using the . key.  I want to use the 5 key to Play/Pause and I can't.  Any limitations that you guys know about?

Thanks   Drew

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2004, 12:17:41 pm »

Okay, well I figured out that Play/Pause does nothing...well for me anyway.  I went to the next funtion, play from the beginning, and assigned the num 5 key and it worked just fine.  I will play a little more with this know that I know I am just a dummy.

Thank you everyone for all your help!!!!!

You will be making my 3 month trip worthwhile.

Drew
Pages: [1]   Go Up