INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ8 - Playing from DRAM (as opposed to HDD)  (Read 1051 times)

zorba.greek

• nothing more to say...
MJ8 - Playing from DRAM (as opposed to HDD)
« on: July 29, 2003, 11:20:35 am »

Hello All,
I am trying to make my HTPC as quiet as possilbe.  One way is to shutdown the HDD as long as possilbe.  I have 0.5GB of DRAM (with 0.4GB available).  I was wondering if there is an easy way to get MJ8 to load next few MP3 files into DRAM so that the HDD can go into stand by mode while the files are being played.  Right now, it just seems to access the HDD every few seconds.  Any thoughts?  Thanks for all your help...  ;D

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: MJ8 - Playing from DRAM (as opposed to HDD)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 03:28:59 pm »

Nothing in MJ will preload music into RAM (AFAIK). You could create a RAM disk, copy the music files to it, then play them. Half a GB isn't very much for that purpose...1 GB with a 250 MB RAM disk would be better. I wouldn't leave memory available to the OS less than 300 MB or so. The newer ATAPI/IDE drives are extremely quiet. The (2) 60 GB WD's I have hardly make a peep, as opposed to my 10K SCSI boot drive that makes a ton of noise when reading/writing (but I like it :)).

10-27

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MJ8 - Playing from DRAM (as opposed to HDD)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 03:58:30 pm »

A disk controller with cache memory is nice.  Our ftp server serves out a lot of data without accessing the disk too often because the commonly downloaded files are usually in cache.
Pages: [1]   Go Up