INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE  (Read 15155 times)

juggler

• Junior Woodchuck
Re:POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2004, 02:56:12 am »

The other notable symptom was that it showed no files at the iPod root (the view you get when clicking on the iPod drive letter), nor any other subview except for playlists, something I don't think Alfie mentioned.

Yes this is exactly what I'm seeing! No files at root, some albums/artists/genres but no files under them, some files under my (single) playlist.

I'll try upgrading to 10.0.100 as that seemed to fix things for you, then consider going back to 10.0.38...

Thanks very much for the post.

Alife.

juggler

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2004, 06:55:18 am »

I upgraded to 10.0.100 and am still having the same problems. The addition of pong doesn't alleviate my suffering...

Alfie.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2004, 05:04:43 pm »

Alfie,

Are you switching back and forth with other applications? I am trying to establish how the duplicate filenumbers could happen?

Everyone else,

I will try to respond tomorrow.

Steve

gbdesai

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2004, 06:11:38 pm »

Steve,

Sorry I've been on a business trip since my last post and have not been able to email you one of my cutoff MP3 files.  Looks like bigfoot42 has the same problem as me.  I'll be back tomorrow to send it to you.  I use APE to MP3 Normal/High VBR.

Gautam

gundan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2004, 06:11:46 pm »

Steve,

Any idea if the audible Name issue is going to be fixed anytime soon?

Thanks,
Govardhanen

juggler

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2004, 12:20:29 am »

Are you switching back and forth with other applications? I am trying to establish how the duplicate filenumbers could happen?

You mean between MC and MM for example? No, I just use MC.

Thanks, Alfie.

TarbhUisge

• Recent member
  • Hunting Druids; for their shoes...
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2004, 08:10:51 am »

I there a method of sending songs directly from a CD to an IPOD.  I tried (importing the CD, getting the info from YABDB??) and running synch (having it do on the fly conversion to MP3) and it doesn't do anything.  It just quickly walks through the songs and doesn't perform the conversion and doesn't copy anything to the IPOD.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Tim

akhunaton

• World Citizen
  • I Love Music
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2004, 01:32:56 pm »

I am using .100

1st synch with ipod good.

2nd synch screws up things. duplicate entries if I change the tags in mc and resynch.

I reinitialized and it happened again. I even tried rebuild database and after that there are olny 1 or 2 tracks for each album. THe directory structure looks perfect in MC when browsing the ipod but in the actual ipod its all screwed up. Basically I am having no luck with the ipod and MC 10. Is MC 9 better for ipod? My trial is about to run out and I'd like to buy something that works.

thanks.

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2004, 04:11:11 pm »

I have to say that iPod support was nigh-on perfect for me about ten builds ago, so something's definitely changed.

Please don't release 10.0 until this is fixed.

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Lunchlady Doris, have ye got ony grease?
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2004, 04:15:24 pm »

Finally! someone having the same problems as me!! Wondered when this would happen.

I don't know what the solution is & I don't have time tonight to go over the symptoms again, early flight to the old londinium tomorrow, eh wot!

Steve if yer watching, essentially the same as before: if I wipe my pod & library & sync - all ok, but after a week or so something screwy happens & subsequent syncs delete files from pod & resyncing never puts them back. Incidentally the 'free space available' on iPod & recently imported playlist correllation still exists... Wiping library & initialising pod makes it work again.

I tend to synch every couple of days or so after getting new music. I'm thinking this problem might not be as evident to people with fairly static collections?

If you need my iTunes db after it corrupts or what not just holler...

SteveG

« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2004, 05:30:23 pm »

Everyone,

I have a few minutes before I must go, so let me try to work through some of the backlog here.

Penfold,

I am not as quick to see your problem in some of the other reports. When you get back, could you email me an iTunesdb and I will see what I can see.

Madcow,

Please double check that the date and time are correct on your iPod. I just performed the following test on a clean iPod with 'Delete unselected', 'Sync data to MC' and 'Send playlist data' checked.

1) Created a playlist with 5 files rated 3
2) synced the playlist
3) Disconnected the iPod and rated all songs 1
4) Resynched.

Result - all files in MC were updated as they should be.

Next test...

1) Created a playlist with 5 files rated 2.
2) Synched.
3) In MC changed rating to 3.
4) Synched

Result original files deleted and then new files resent as expected.

Please compare this test on your iPod after you have verified the date and time

akhunaton,

If you can, try a reinitialize (you will lose all files) and start over. Have you been using other applications to access your iPod?

Tim,

There is no way to transfer .cda files directly to the iPod. You are not talking about a data CD with converted files on it are you?

Alfie,

Can you send me your iTunesDB from your iPod_control\iTunes folder on your iPod when you see the problems you are reporting? (steve @ jrviver.com). I cannot reproduce what you are seeing.

Govardhanen and VBR on the fly conversion cutoff people

I have not had time to look at these yet and will do so asap.

Sir Alan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2004, 05:47:15 pm »

Please double check that the date and time are correct on your iPod.
I can see that having the correct date and time on the iPod (or at least the same date and time as the PC) might be relevant when synching.  So... is there some way that the iPod's date and time (and possibly time zone) could be synched to the PC at the start of the run?
"Progress just makes bad things happen faster" – Granny Weatherwax

TarbhUisge

• Recent member
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2004, 10:07:52 pm »

Steve, thanks so much for the reply.  No, the files are not already in converted format, they are CDA.  I just thought you could use the 'on-the-fly' conversion to accomplish this...maybe in the future?  

The issue is that given an old laptop with only a 6GB HD and a 40GB IPOD there is not way to keep a converted file library but if you could just send them 'directly' to an IPOD w/out the intermediate file then you would never have to worry about holding the converted files (or just having to shuffle them, right now I rip, place in a 'dummy' playlist, and synch w/out removing existing files).  

That method is OK and works, but cutting out the superfluous step would be nice...

Anyway, MC is a great product for even things like allowing one to do what I described above...

Thanks much - Tim

mooseman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2004, 10:41:20 pm »

I'm having problems with MC and my iPod.  I don't have many playlists created, so I just want to be able to dump the files on it for now.  If I add files a second time after initializing the new files do not appear on the iPod to browse.

Here's the jist:

Initialize iPod in MC

Add group of files

Eject iPod

check out the iPod, this works fine

re-dock

Queue up a bunch of files and transfer, with no errors

eject iPod

New files cannot be browsed.  I'm not sure, but I think some of the original transfer is not available either, but I need to test it again.

Rebuild database from iPod has no effect. Expanding the iPod in MC, shows the files, and using explorer the files are under the iPod Control -> F** directory.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2004, 07:23:18 am »

Mooseman,
It's important to use the latest build.  It's available in one of the first posts on this board.

mooseman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2004, 09:30:35 am »

I am.  10.0.102

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2004, 01:18:19 pm »

Steve, it's definitely not working.  My test was even simpler than yours:

- Check date, time and even time zone are correct on iPod (they are)
- Synchronise playlist (my regular playlist contains ~4400 songs, leaving 120MB free on the iPod after sync).
- Eject iPod, close & restart MC, dock iPod again (this step probably not necessary but I'm being thorough!)
- Change *one song* from unrated to 4 stars
- Synchronise playlist.

The song which has changed is not re-transferred.

SteveG

« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2004, 03:25:33 pm »

Madcow,

I cannot duplicate this.

Is the date and time on your PC correct?

Do you have  'Sync data to MC' checked? If so, after you 'Change one song from unrated' in MC and you select synchronize, even if you cancel the sync, you should see that the rating in MC is modified to the rating from iPod. Once this occurs, the ratings between iPod and MC are the same and therefore the file should not retransfer (unless other tags have been changed).

Are you getting any warnings about duplicate files? If so, this could affect your results.

Can anyone else duplicate this?

mooseman,

Found a bug that could cause this and fixed it in tonight's build. You should reinitialize and start fresh. This bug would affect people who were manually sending files to iPod, not synchronizing.

Tim,

Thanks for the feedback. This might be added in the future.

Sir Alan,

It could be added, but not right now. There is no easy way to do it, because iPod does not provide a way to report the time it thinks it is.

akhunaton,

Are you all set after the reinitialize?

Alfie,

Were you ever doing some manual file transfers (not synching)? If so, tonight's build should fix your issues.

Gundan,

The Audible tags will be fixed when Audible revises its plugin for Windows Media Player. We used to use RealPlayer for Audible playback, but switched recently because it is not supported by Audible. We now use WMP for playback and WMP does not read Audible tags.

bigfoot42,

I cannot duplicate the ratings issue. Can you try again with tonight's build and let me know.

Anyone with track cutoff issues,

I retested tonight's version converting on the fly 20 ogg files to Normal/High VBR. 2. 1firmware. All played fine.

akhunaton

• World Citizen
  • I Love Music
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2004, 03:43:16 pm »

so far so good after reintialize however for some reason there is a duplicate entry for an artist on the ipod but not when viewed through MC and synching screws up the audible
bookmarks.

thanks

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2004, 03:59:10 pm »

Date and time on iPod and PC both correct (not exactly identical but within one minute of each other.  The iPod loses time gradually, at least mine does, so they'll never be exactly the same).

I'm changing the song's rating on MC and I want the changed rating to transfer to the iPod.  Hence I don't have "Sync data to MC checked" because I'm going in the opposite direction, if that makes any sense.

Even syncing repeatedly makes no difference.  I can clearly see the song on MC is rated, the same song on the iPod is unrated, syncing doesn't transfer the song and I haven't done anything else at all within either MC or the iPod since I last initialised the device.

SteveG

« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2004, 04:56:50 pm »

Madcow,

Can you email me a file where you can replicate this behavior? (steve @ jriver.com)

akhunaton,

I can synch an audible file, play the file (so the bookmark gets set), resynch the file and the bookmark remains (assuming I have not changed any tag info for the file.  This is what I expect because in this case, the file is not resent. Are you changing any tags (i.e. rating) for this file in between synchs? If so, the file is removed from iPod and resent which would result in a resetting of the bookmark.

Steve

akhunaton

• World Citizen
  • I Love Music
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2004, 05:42:20 pm »

i just did a resynch and again the audible bookmark is gone. I did not change any tag info. This is how I have it setup:

I made a playlist called audiobooks

dragged the book from the audible folder to the playlist.

synch my chosen playlists with all of the 3 bottom checkmarks selected.

Is there a better way of doing this?

thanks.

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2004, 06:22:53 pm »

Steve, thanks so much for the reply.  No, the files are not already in converted format, they are CDA.  I just thought you could use the 'on-the-fly' conversion to accomplish this...maybe in the future?  

The issue is that given an old laptop with only a 6GB HD and a 40GB IPOD there is not way to keep a converted file library but if you could just send them 'directly' to an IPOD w/out the intermediate file then you would never have to worry about holding the converted files (or just having to shuffle them, right now I rip, place in a 'dummy' playlist, and synch w/out removing existing files).  

That method is OK and works, but cutting out the superfluous step would be nice...

Anyway, MC is a great product for even things like allowing one to do what I described above...

Thanks much - Tim

Hmm, it sounds like your only computer is the laptop with the 6gb drive? Ya know, in order to not have to re-rip 40gb of music every time you need to reformat your iPod (which does happen), ya might want to get an external (USB or Firewire) HDD. A 40gb or 60gb Maxtor is really pretty cheap these days (since they now have 120gb and 250gb ones).

TarbhUisge

• Recent member
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2004, 09:26:50 pm »

Thanks much - Tim

Hmm, it sounds like your only computer is the laptop with the 6gb drive? Ya know, in order to not have to re-rip 40gb of music every time you need to reformat your iPod (which does happen), ya might want to get an external (USB or Firewire) HDD. A 40gb or 60gb Maxtor is really pretty cheap these days (since they now have 120gb and 250gb ones).

Thanks...yeah, actually this whole scenario is for a technically challenged friend and I was trying to find the 'easiest' method for him to get his CDs to his IPOD.  MC actually let you do so much more but with anything I think the IPOD is just like any gadget that was created by an engineer, no matter how good the interface or how much they try when you add that second, third, Nth piece of complication most people just glaze over...  Fortunately with MC once I showed him how much 'more' simple and useful it was than iTunes, he bought it and has been PODding along swimmingly well since...  It would be nice to have a feature like this in the future.  

Thanks for the suggestion,
Tim

akhunaton

• World Citizen
  • I Love Music
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2004, 11:02:05 pm »

I now have double and triple copies of some of the genres on the ipod.  ?

mooseman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2004, 12:04:30 am »

Yep that fixed it.

Though I noted something else.  In the left pane media library, highlight an artist or album, right click and send to <device>.  It brings up the transfer box with "Drop files here".  I can queue up more files by dragging them here, but how about being able to repeat the process adding more files to the queue by right clicking  and send to?

bigfoot42

• Recent member
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2004, 08:38:30 am »

Steve,

I still have same the problem with ratings at 10.0.103.  I used a clean install for .103.  I also tried .100 with downgraded 2.0.1 firmware on the iPod but saw the same bug.  I also tried an install of 10.0.103 on a WinME laptop, reinitializing and synchronizing to a duplicate playlist.  I still lose files from the iPod song list after rating one and synching again in MC.  I synch with just "Synch playlist data" checked with a single static playlist selected. But I also have the problem with a couple of variations of playlist contents and also with "Sync data to MC" selected.

I have no trouble reproducing the problem.  Perhaps my iPod is wonky but I see other people having problems with similar symptoms.

Thanks,
Jack

SteveG

« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2004, 11:16:38 am »

akhunaton,

Lets try to clarify what you are seeing with Audible bookmarks. MC does not support Audible bookmarks. If you play Audible files within MC, the file does not remember where you stopped playback. iPod does remember and as long as the file is not resent from MC to iPod it should (and does for me) remember the bookmark. I can sync Audible files, disconnect iPod and play them, reconnect iPod and resync (the files are not resent) and then disconnect and iPod remembers the bookmark. If for you the files are being removed and resent, this would explain the loss of the bookmark, but there is no reason the files should be resent unless you modify tag information for the file.  

In regards to the triple genres, you are saying that when browsing on the iPod under genre you can see for example three listings for 'Rock'? I cannot explain this and have never seen this or seen reports of it. Please test with another application and see if you see the same behavior.

Mooseman,

This is fixed tonight.

Jack,

I think I figured this out. The problem was that you had unrated files on iPod and did not have 'Delete unselected' checked. Not that you shouldn't but MC was not handling this case as it should. I fixed this and it should be better in tonight's build.

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2004, 01:43:48 pm »

Steve, my problem is fixed in tonight's build (104).  Thanks.  :D

SteveG

« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2004, 01:56:50 pm »

madcow,

Thanks for the update.

Everyone,

This thread has grown long. I will close it and open a new one.

Steve
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up