INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping data files and copying a CD in MC 10 ?  (Read 1475 times)

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
Ripping data files and copying a CD in MC 10 ?
« on: March 31, 2004, 02:43:51 am »

He guys,

Maybe it's too late for version 10 but what about the following:

• Besides ripping songs from a CD being able to rip/copy data files to MC
  • Making a full original copy of an already ripped CD (including data files)
  • It's not always clear when there is something else on the CD besides the normal songs. It would be nice if MC could show that
I would really like to be able to make an original CD from my database. CD's from me were stolen in the past or just lost. Just making a new CD with the original tracks is just not the same.

MarSies .....

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
Re:Ripping data files and copying a CD in MC 10 ?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 03:19:44 am »

John,

I hope you will do something with this request.

MarSies .....

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 09:40:08 am »

Feature 1 is a little specialized. Currently you could just copy the extra files with Windows explorer into the same folder as the ripped files.

Feature 2 requires us to burn mixed mode (data/audio) disks. I'm not sure if there's enough interest in this to warrant development. Any one else interested? It could complicate the user interface.

Feature 3
This sounds like a possibility.

Bug me about it in a few weeks   :)
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 10:15:48 am »

I'm not sure if this would help, but how 'bout the option to just simply 'copy' a disc, no matter what's on it.  Just make an exact copy.  Do not rip it to MC and re-burn it, just copy it to a temp file, then burn that iso to a blank disc.  Most other media programs have this feature, I've always been confused about it's absence from MC.

I suppose that could be incorporated into the request above, but a simple copy disc would sure be nice.
pretend this is something funny

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 12:20:40 pm »

Feature 1 - You guys have made MC, what about a "simple" file copy  ;D

Feature 2 - Maybe JustinChase his solution  :)

Feature 3 - Will it then be implemented   ;)

MarSies .....

maxl311

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 12:33:08 pm »

I agree with JustinChase. I have also always wondered why there is not a CD copy function that would simply create a temp ISO image from a source CD and then use that image to copy to a blank CD -- no matter whether the source was audio-only or dual-mode. I think it'd be great for those times when we bought a new CD and wanted to immediately make a backup before ripping -- all without having to leave MC and use yet another program for this purpose.
Every technology really needs to be shipped with a special manual -- not how to use it but why, when, and for what.

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 01:39:08 pm »

The option to create a complete image of a CD and then write an identical copy sounds like a good enhancement. I'm not sure that takes cares of your request however Marsies. It sounds like you want to occasionally make an exact copy of disk you ripped months ago, but using this method, you'd have to keep a copy of the ISO image around indefinitely as well as the ripped tracks. That would take up a lot of room and double the "ripping" time.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

zevele10

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 03:00:11 pm »

Image is good if you want to give back fast cds to a friend.
Or if you stop to your place on his way back to home with new cds he just bought.

Make an image.
You will do the burn latter.

But to keep image of all cds you rip don't make sense cause you will need all the drives in sale in your Best Buy.

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2004, 03:02:35 pm »

John you are right, my request was a bit different. However a CD copy option would prevent me from starting Nero or PlexTools to do a CD copy. That would be good as a starter.

I don't have any knowledge about what exactly is on a CD. I guess there is a unique identifier/tag on every CD. Maybe there is some small data besides that. When ripping a CD that info can also be "ripped" and stored. Call it the album/CD info

Then it would be easy to restore the original CD with the album/CD info.

It seems to me that it's not that difficult, maybe just different. Personally it think it's a hell of an option.

MarSies .....
Pages: [1]   Go Up