INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: usb infrared receiver?  (Read 931 times)

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
usb infrared receiver?
« on: April 03, 2004, 04:46:08 am »

i'd like to get an infra red receiver and remote for operating media center.  i can see that the irman connects to a serial port, but was wondering whether there is a usb alternative/equivalent?  

also, would such a remote control system be able to control the volume of an external soundcard with its own software control program?

thanks

nick

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:usb infrared receiver?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 07:09:31 am »

There is a link on this page for the UIRT2:

http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/remote.html

salsbst1

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 08:07:18 am »

Not sure if Luc is still making UIRT2's for people, and if you aren't good at soldering you may be out of luck, not to mention the fact that the UIRT2 connects to the PC via serial cable, not USB.

Check out http://usbuirt.com .  Jim, I bet that's what you meant to link to... perhaps a better choice for the remote control page as well at this point in time.

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 04:59:24 pm »

i use an irman (serial connection) but there is also the redrat which is usb (made in uk, not sure what their shipping policy is...):

www.redrat.co.uk/

what external soundcard do you use? i use the usb creative audigy, which has its own remote so i just got my universale remote programmed with both devices.

does the volume out change when you move the mc slider bar, or is it only controlled via the soundcard. if the software controls it then the remote will also (probably!)

aah - just saw you said it was a software based control system, then yes it should, but you may have to use girder or similar (fantastic program, but way to hard for me, so i gave up and stuck to the basic options that i understood...)

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 11:00:22 pm »

I can say from user feedback on AVS that the USBUIRT linked above and made by Jon Rhees seems to be the best IR Rx and Tx for HTPC needs... Works with Girder.. multiple blaster zones... Very reliable... Etc Etc
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  
Pages: [1]   Go Up