INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 9.1 vs 10  (Read 2118 times)

dragyn

9.1 vs 10
« on: April 04, 2004, 11:43:13 pm »

Did a lot of playing around with both of these versions today and I'm liking 9.1 better. If you're debating on going to 10, make sure these won't bother you.

Action Window

In 9.1, you can detach it and make the tree list more viewable. In v10, every new thing you open, it makes another window. So in order to save space, you have to close the other ones which defeats the purpose as that takes more clicks. Also editing in 'full screen' is easier on the eyes. I suppose you could make the treelist bigger, but again, defeats the purpose as you use more clicks, more looking, and more headaches.

If v10 could use 1 window and still be able to switch easily between open actions, it would be better. I still would like to see it to detach and remove itself from the tree.

Columns

Seeing '...' all over the place is kinda messy and gets old after awhile. I like to see the whole field when scrolling through the list. Manually sizing columns doesn't work because you have to make them wide and then you waste space which means more scrolling than there needs to be.

The bold font is a nice touch because you're able to see the current track better.

Panes

New 'Field', Checkboxes....not my thing when just playing stuff. I'd prefer this be shown only when in 'Tagging Mode'. It clutters up the view. IOW, more info is being shown than there needs to be.

That's about it. I'm sure there might be other areas too. These were the big ones for me. Hopefully 10.1 will have some options to turn these things off.

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
Re:9.1 vs 10
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 12:31:16 am »

Floating action window is the biggie for me. I liked being able to preview album art (ie look at art for a song that is not currently playing) at full resolution.

Also the check boxes for quick tagging are a bit distracting, and I've had too many close calls with untutored users being about to make major changes, unwittingly. I've had a number of people assume that the checkboxes let you pick the songs to play...

Aside from that, however, MC10.1 is a huge step forward.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 02:57:29 pm »

Good points Dragyn.

I'm with you on the columns (displaying ... at the end of tracks) and the checkboxes unless in taggin mode.

i'm ok with the current tracks being bolded but i think that causes widths to change unfortunately. Unless i can find a font that does not make that much of a diff bet normal & bold.

Thing that i notice is that clicking in between columns used to pick the right width based on the largest item, this does not always happen (20% of the time)...

using 10.0.90

Sauzee

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 04:39:20 pm »

mmmm......

I'm not sure that going with v10 was the best thing for me.

Support for data CD's, e.g. mp3 CD's, is very poor in v10 - was better in 9.1.  

Having said that,  v10 seems less buggy than 9.1.

aussie1

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 09:27:21 pm »

I agree with the three ponts raised.  The field checkboxes in particular is annoying.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 04:01:50 am »

mmmm......

Support for data CD's, e.g. mp3 CD's, is very poor in v10 - was better in 9.1.  

Having said that,  v10 seems less buggy than 9.1.

what do u mean by less support for data cd's?

agree with th less buggyness, it actully feels more solid than 9.1, more responsive even.

using (10.0.90)

Sauzee

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 05:06:08 am »

what do u mean by less support for data cd's?

hit_ny

In 9.1 if you insert a CD full of mp3's, MC would display all the tracks, no matter how they were organised.

In v10 MC, when you insert a CD, MC will only display mp3's which are not in folders.

Say you have 10 CD's on a data CD in organised in album folders. You would have to click every individual folder to see what was in it and add it to your MC database.

This makes playing and cataloguing the CD's a real pain.

I've got about 50 mp3 CD's,organised in album folders, which I want to add to my MC database .

Thats approx 500 - 600 folders which I would have to click individually to add them to the MC database.

I would go back to v9.1 to do it, but the libraries are not compatible.

So I'm stuck waiting for this pretty basic functionality to be put back into MC.  I'm not sure why it was removed in the first place.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 05:18:45 am »

Hmm..i was not aware it was that easy to import stuff with 9.1. i agree its cooler to have all tracks displayed.

As a workaround, i wonder whether you could select all the folders on the CD (Shift+select in MC) and then just import them that way.

would that work ?

Sauzee

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2004, 06:06:21 am »

Thanks hit_ny

I'll give it a go when I get a chance.

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
  • Absence of alternatives clears the mind nicely.
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2004, 07:48:06 pm »

Can't disagree with these points, but I do feel that 10 is a good upgrade and a step forward.  And it's a must have for iPod users.

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2004, 11:37:48 pm »

And it's a must have for iPod users.

I'm not convinced.  I'm using it, but it's not been for me an obvious step forward.  I lost the "Show files at root" option, an option that saved me waiting 7 or more seconds every time I clicked on the iPod drive in MC (while it fetched file info off the iPod).  And I lost the option to control the contents of the Artist field (Artist vs. Album Artist), which was a mechanism I was trying to use to sneak composer information into a useful place.

And if you read the IPOD thread, you'll still see people with some pretty big problems, though maybe not so many of late, as Steve shakes the bugs out of his big synchronization overhaul.

At any rate, if 9.1 is working well for you with your iPod, I wouldn't upgrade to 10 for its iPod changes.  There may be other good reasons to, of course...

cryst

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2004, 04:30:12 am »

I agree with the new Action Window behavior and the non-working columns; they drive me absolutely nuts.  I'm constantly having to manually adjust columns, and I hate it.

Sauzee

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2004, 04:38:49 am »

Hmm..i was not aware it was that easy to import stuff with 9.1. i agree its cooler to have all tracks displayed.

As a workaround, i wonder whether you could select all the folders on the CD (Shift+select in MC) and then just import them that way.

would that work ?

It doesn't work.  Doing it this way adds the files to the main MC database and not the CD database - which could cause problems with playlists including removeable media in them.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2004, 08:44:54 am »

It doesn't work.  Doing it this way adds the files to the main MC database and not the CD database - which could cause problems with playlists including removeable media in them.

Hmm...did not realise there were 2 databases, assumed that the MC database was what you were hoping to import into.

Looks like you are going to have to make some noise to get those 9.1 features put back.

dynamic

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2004, 08:47:46 am »

Columns

Seeing '...' all over the place is kinda messy and gets old after awhile. I like to see the whole field when scrolling through the list. Manually sizing columns doesn't work because you have to make them wide and then you waste space which means more scrolling than there needs to be.

The bold font is a nice touch because you're able to see the current track better.

needs to be improved over the currnet system.  should have never
changed.

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
  • Absence of alternatives clears the mind nicely.
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2004, 10:36:19 am »

bvm.
>>I lost the "Show files at root" option, an option that saved me waiting 7 or more seconds every time I clicked on the iPod drive in MC
Ah, I hadn't noticed it was gone, though 'Show queued files only' will give similar results.

I found I save time because it shows the actual files being transferred and doesn't pretend to sync every file. I was reluctant to make the switch so I was using 9.1 on one PC and 10.0 on the other for a few weeks and eventually realized that 10.0 was better in most ways even with a few annoyances.
Pages: [1]   Go Up