INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Artists CD  (Read 1807 times)

jaht

• Recent member
Multiple Artists CD
« on: April 03, 2004, 06:39:43 pm »

I have some Multiple Artists CD's on a directory called Various Artits and each CD under its name, I would like to know how to import this CD's into the library in Media Center 9.1.319?

Thanks

JAH

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
Re:Multiple Artists CD
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 12:32:05 pm »

When importing media, just point to the top directory, and check the 'include subdirectories' button, and viola, everything should import fine.  Might take a bit, but should work great.
pretend this is something funny

jaht

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 05:23:08 pm »

Thanks for your reply but I may have not explained right what I am trying to do, When Importing a Multiple Artists CD in Media Center how do I deal with the fact that is only 1 CD with many Artists.

DJMUK

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 02:00:27 am »

As long as you have a sub-directory for each CD/album under the various artists directory and each file has the tags completed for at least the album name, track artist name and song title it should be imported fine.

In MC each album will be shown separately and you will be able to set up view schemes to either see the tracks by individual artist or using the Album Artist (Auto) field to group them under a special artist called 'multiple artists'.

The best thing to do is run the import but just on one CD/album by selecting its directory in the import dialog rather than the top level directory.  You will then be able to see the results.  If you are not happy you can always make changes in MC or delete the album from MC without losing your files and try again.  

If all goes well import the rest by doing the import again and selecting the top level directory.  The originally imported album will be ignored and not reimported.

I hope this is useful to you.

jaht

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 08:05:00 am »

Thanks DJ for your reply, I have a sub-directory for each CD under a directory called assorted and the files have the tags completed, my problem is that when I import the CD instead of going into the library, lets say to Assorted or Various Artitsts as an artist, each artist on the CD gets its own CD with the name of the Multiple CD so instead of having 1 CD with Multiple Artists I have as many Artists as the number of different artists that are on the CD.

DJMUK

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 10:12:47 am »

It's a bit difficult for me because I am using V10 of MC and not V9.1 but I think it should work the same and that you just have a configuration problem.  Let's have another go.

Lets say you import an album called 'Best Hits Ever' and it has the following tracks:

1. ABC by Anybody1
2. DEF by Anybody2
3. GHI by Anybody3
4. JKL by Anybody2

When you import a CD with various artists MC assigns the 'Artist' field to the particular artist and also sets a field called 'Album Artist (Auto)' to (Multiple Artists)'.

You can then see the album in two ways:

If in your view scheme you use the 'Artist' field you will see the tracks listed under the individual artist like so:

Anybody1 - Best Hits Ever - ABC

Anybody2 - Best Hits Ever - DEF
Anybody2 - Best Hits Ever - JKL

Anybody3 - Best Hits Ever - GHI

I think this is what you are seeing at present.

If you use the 'Album Artist (Auto)' field all the tracks will appear under an artist called '(Multiple Artists)' like so:

(Multiple Artists) - Best Hits Ever - ABC
(Multiple Artists) - Best Hits Ever - DEF
(Multiple Artists) - Best Hits Ever - GHI
(Multiple Artists) - Best Hits Ever - JKL

This is what I think you would like to see.

I know this is rather confusing, it had me stumped for quite some time until I read about it on the forum.  I hope you are now able to get it working.

Try a search on the forum for 'Multiple Artists' and you will find lots and lots of useful information.

If you still have problems post again and I am sure someone with more experience than me will help you.

jaht

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 11:26:51 am »

Thanks again DJ, I also upgraded to V10, I did what you told me and its fine under the 'Album Artist (Auto)' view but my concern remains the same, let me explain, when I import a CD by lets say ABC called The Rainbow, when I go to Media Library, Audio, Artist/Album, I get the CD listed under ABC and the album Called The Rainbow but when I import a Multiple Artists CD called Mixes I get each Artists of the Multiple Artists CD listed and The song for the particular Artist under the CD Mixes, let's say that is fine but shouldnt it be Multiple Artists, Mixes, Artist, Song Names?

Thanks again

JAH

DJMUK

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 12:06:29 pm »

OK, I think we are getting there.  In MC v10 try the following:

1. In the Tree (top left Pane) highlight Audio under Media Library.

2. Right click on Audio and from the popup menu choose Add View Scheme.

3. In the dialog box that appears click the down arrow at the end of the Preset field.  From the list choose Album Artist (Auto)/Album. Click OK.

4. Album Artist (Auto)/Album is now shown under Audio in the tree.  On the right of the screen at the top you should have two panes (Album Artist (Auto) and Album) and below that the track list.

5. The first pane (Album Artist (Auto)) should have the following entries:

All (***) *** = the number of artists in the database.
(Multiple Artists)
10CC
AbbA
ABC
... - I.E. each artist that has a full album of it's own.

6. If you select (Multiple Artists) in the first pane the second (Albums) pane will change to list just your various artist albums.

7. Click on one of these albums and the track list will show you all the track details for it including the actual track artists.

Note: in the artist list in the first pane you will not see an artist listed if it only has a track on a various artists CD.

Lets say one of the artists on the compilation CD is Rod Stewart and you do not have any full albums by him.  He will not show in the artist list but his track (with his name) will be shown when you select the compilation CD.

I hope this helps.

jaht

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 04:40:52 pm »

Once Again DJ Thanks a lot, You hit the nail, that was what I was trying to do. Thanks for your help, hope that I can be of service anytime.

DJMUK

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 01:36:50 am »

Glad you have got it sorted and just pleased I could help as others have helped me in the past.

The great thing about this forum is how we all help each other to learn MC.  I know it takes time to read the messages, and help files,  but it's worth it in the long run for the experience you gain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up