INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media Lab  (Read 4413 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
JRiver Media Lab
« on: March 05, 2004, 08:06:20 am »

I'm thinking about setting up a media lab in a corner storefront in downtown Minneapolis.  It's in a building that I own, across the street from our office.  It's an old brick building, built in 1884 and has some nice big windows on the corner.  It was originally a hotel and later converted to a foundry.

More pictures here:
http://www.jriver.com/~jriver/2004/firststreet/

I'd like to set up some displays of how our software can be used in a home, so ...

big plasma TV's
small LCD screens
great home theater systems
PC's driving it

Seating arrangements to enjoy this, with remote controls.
High tech look with an old backdrop

A small coffee bar where you could buy a drink and a treat.

Wireless access for laptop use
Drive by wireless

Sell some of the equipment above plus a few digital cameras and MP3 players or iPods.

So what am I missing?  Besides $200,000 to do it...

Would you come?

JollyJim

• World Citizen
Re:JRiver Media Lab
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 08:16:33 am »

any beer?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2004, 08:22:27 am »

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2004, 08:24:25 am »

Good idea.

You will need "events" to keep people coming back. Check out what the Apple store does in NY and SFO: classes, presentations, lectures, special promotional events, etc.

Make sure you have a roster of training classes: how to rip CDs, how to make a track info template, organizing your collection, installing Girder, etc.

Maybe get permission from local musicians so you can make compilation CDs and burn them on the fly. Or drop music on people's iPods.

Put in a wireless LAN and run a Media Server, so people with laptops can get a demo version of MC and connect to the Media Server.

Build some kind of large sculptural/video installation that reacts to music to act as a "tourist attraction" - I'm sure you can commission some neat stuff in the Twin Cities. In fact, sponsor a competition in the art schools to make visuals/installations that tie-in with music, and have ongoing exhibitions, all hosted on MC.

Etc.

alias

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 08:32:35 am »

What about ICE, using MC and In-Car PC's?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 08:47:58 am »

What about ICE, using MC and In-Car PC's?
I had to go to google for that.  In Car Entertainment.

Why not?  Drive by refueling?

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2004, 10:48:57 am »

Anything to keep people actively involved should be a goal.  I guess your use of the word "lab" implies that?

I think many folks are button-pushers and knob-turners but they just don't know it yet.  Give people a way to get their hands dirty and really accomplish something and you'll keep 'em coming back.

Hmmm.  Something like that might go over quite well in this little town...

BTW, fantastic old building...
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 11:24:00 am »

Like your parents promised, don't forget the pony rides... ?
pretend this is something funny

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2004, 12:37:26 pm »

great idea

following on from gpvillamil, the two things about the apple store in nyc that impress me the most are the lecture series's and the genius bar (where tech help is on hand)

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2004, 01:43:55 pm »

I think it's an awesome idea!!

I work about 10 blocks away and my mom lives about 5 blocks away from where I think that building is.  Unfortunately, with 3 kids to go home to in a house about 20 miles away, I'm afraid that I wouldn't get there that often myself......

I could bring my wife and show here all the stuff I'd LIKE to do with our home theater setup, but since none of it is in our budget right now, it might just be painful for me.... :'(

It seems like that might be a good place for a hangout with all the development going on.  And it looks like a lot of the people moving in are the younger, tech savvy types that might enjoy a place like that.

I'm not sure how much foot traffic you would get though.  A lot of people go to the Monte but that's a few blocks away.  And the warehouse district bar crowds are a ways up first street aren't they?  You could get the people going to Juene Lune to come by before the show.  

groovedaddy

• Recent member
  • Stay still so I can hack your arm off...
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2004, 02:37:17 pm »

Jim,

That sounds really cool. I'll be in Minneapolis on biz later in the fall so you think it will be ready by then, if built?

If you build it, I will come.

Cheers,
GDaddy
Still partying like it's 999.

511PF

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2004, 02:49:26 pm »

I think it's a great idea.  I know you're on the other side of the country, but I'd model it on the Sony Store at the Metreon in San Francisco.  It's very interactive and everything has a price tag on it.  Very cool.

However, I think the reality is that you'll need to open a home theatre store that happens to feature Media Center.  Opening a store that sells one computer program (no matter how good it is) isn't going to work.

At the very least, you'll need to sell the hardware accessories that are commonly used with MC, like wireless networking hardware, PC remote controls, iPods or other portable players, maybe a Media Center PC bundle preloaded with MC that includes a remote, optional wireless card, etc.

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2004, 01:01:54 am »

I would definitely stop by the next time I am in "The Cities" visiting my sister.

scott_r

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2004, 02:26:53 am »

Want to set up a franchise in New Zealand? :)

Of course, you'd be supplying the start-up funds...

Could be a good way to get my hands on a nice big Plasma screen for my house... ahem... I mean, for the lab... :)

Scott.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2004, 03:27:01 am »

I would love to see something like this.  Shame I would need to travel a few thousand miles to get there :)  Like Scott said though it would be great if you wanted to set up some international franchises.  I'd happily set up a UK one along with people like Jolly Jim and Marko who live on this side of the pond.  We don't really have anything like this in the UK.  Even the Sony Store is too much like walking in and immediately being accosted by a sales person...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2004, 07:26:49 pm »

Thanks for the ideas.  I'm taking notes.

A couple of people mentioned Sony.  I was in the NYC store when the idea came to mind.  The combination of a "toy store" and coffee just struck me as a very good idea.

I think we will do something.  Like everything we do, it will start small.  I'll keep you posted.

bebop

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2004, 07:50:24 pm »

If it were close I would definately come!  Coffee and learning something new, getting to play with the gadgets...that's not just for the guys, you know!  There are some of us female types that love tech toys, and a place where you can go and actively try stuff out and have people talk to you - not down to you, is a fantastic idea.   Good luck on your endevour.  b ;D

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2004, 12:48:31 am »

I would go.  It would be great to do first-hand research on various hardware solutions - TiVo, video senders, remote controls, etc.; and to see how best to use MC.

A couple questions to consider:
Do you expect to make money on this?
Do you have time to manage both a software business and a retail business?

Btw, I was in Minneapolis for the first time a few days ago.  Big mall.  I was looking forward to experiencing some awful midwest weather, but I was disappointed that it didn't start until just after I left.

TimB

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2004, 03:46:20 am »

Maybe stating the obvious:

If I wanted to start small I'd have a fairly nice but easy to use everyperson setup with maybe one or two unusual items to draw in the occasional geek (like us). :)

Exciting and fun idea, is there a need to make money and if so how would that happen?  Sales of hardware, software, food, etc.?

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

miked

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2004, 11:26:09 am »

Sounds great, shame it's on the wrong continent for me :'(

Still it is probably a great way for JRiver to learn a lot about the ergonomics of MC while letting people have fun.  Watching people playing around in a very relaxed and informal setting might teach you a great deal about where to go for future versions.  

I can also see a lot of security changes coming, lots of people playing with PCs that are probably running as Administrator is a recipe for disaster ( system rebuilds etc )

All of which help the products.    :)

Mike  

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2004, 12:10:30 pm »

Sounds interesting. Ive not seen one of these labs before. Are you planning on selling coffee primarily and demoing digital entertainment solutions secondly, or digital audio first and coffee second? Or is this too base a motive for a laboratory, and its about gathering user feedback etc?

If you are demonstrating in-house audio systems etc, Id have thought you should also have boxed copies of MC available. Salesperson/lab technician can hand customer the MC box, wave hand to encompass state of the art demonstration setup around the coffee bar, and say "And the heart of your digital home is of course MC. The checkout is over there."

roognation

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Resistance is /dev/null
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2004, 02:51:12 am »

Great idea.  I am in the custom home engineering and automation biz (lots of home theatre) in Maui and California.  To keep your initial costs down and to feel out the situation, you may want to find a similar dealer that already has an established storefront and lend an MC expert to push the software on their hardware.  This way, you are not out a lot of up front cash for hardware and retail space to see if this thing flies.  A nice relationship with the home theatre installer/dealer will allow you to provide "one stop shopping" for that turnkey customer as well as free up your time from chasing dealerships with audio manufacturers...

Let me know if you want to cross-pollinate over here in Maui.  Or California :)

BTW: you may want to check out the new heatpipe-cooled PC cases WITHOUT FANS for home theatre use: http://www.zalman.co.kr/news/2003/20031125_1.htm
Nice and quiet.  AND expensive.

Mike
==
roognation
human electrode

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2004, 09:47:34 am »

bjsolem said:
I know it was just in the idea phase and may be a ways off, but are there any new thoughts that you can share on the Media Lab you mentioned a while back?

I think it's a cool idea and I know others were interested in it's potential, so I was just curious about any recent thoughts/plans.

Thanks.
It's still at the idea stage.  Nothing firm yet.  We need to get a couple of other projects finished before I can do anything.

cryst

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2004, 01:31:22 pm »

I know that Jim is hanging on my response, so...  (/sarcasm)

I'd go, if the volume inside wasn't astronomical.  I'd like to bring my family without worrying about hearing loss all around!  But seriously.

Magicland

• World Citizen
  • Gabba Gabba Hey!
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2004, 01:40:39 pm »

Sounds great. When you're looking to staff your New York City store (You'll have to have one here eventually), give me a call.

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2004, 01:51:02 pm »

We need to get a couple of other projects finished before I can do anything.

Like what?  Have you guys been working on something new? ;) ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up