INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlist.m3u song order  (Read 2496 times)

BCPalmer

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Smile!!!  It's contagious!
Playlist.m3u song order
« on: November 16, 2002, 03:35:36 pm »

Hey all,
I'm not sure if the playlist.m3u file is being created correctly or not in the way it sets the order of the music files it references.  I created a playlist and added a bunch of music to it for the purpose of creating an MP3 CD.  I sorted the music in the order I want it in.  I then sent it to the CD writer.  In the options, if the rearrange CD folders are set to none, the playlist.m3u is created with the music in the order I set.  If I set the rearrange CD folders to anything else, the playlist.m3u file is changed to something other than the order I set.  I was under the impression that the playlist.m3u file was supposed to reflect the order of the playlist I created no matter how files are written to the CD.  If not, it would be nice to have an editor that can be selected from the options area so that the playlist.m3u file that will be written to the CD can be modified.  Thanks.  (This also happens in MJ9).

Brian Palmer

BCPalmer

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Playlist.m3u song order
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2002, 02:06:24 pm »

Anybody???  8)

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2002, 04:54:54 pm »

> In the options, if the rearrange CD folders are set to none

Where is this? I don't see it in Settings>Options. Is it in one of the burning dialog boxes?

> I was under the impression that the playlist.m3u file was supposed to reflect the order of the playlist I created no matter how files are written to the CD

It does

What I normally do (for my SlimX) is create the playlist, populate it with tunes, and export it (as a m3u) to the CD (actually...CD-RW in DirectCD format), then I use MJ or Windows functions to copy the files over. The SlimX always abides by the list and I've had no problems.

Do this...
Copy a problematic playlist back off the CD to an empty directory. If the playlist has the same name as one in MJ, then rename the one in MJ. Now run Tools>Import Media and point it to your nearly empty dir (w/ the copied playlist). Now the imported list will appear in Playlists in MJ. Is the order correct? If so then the playlist isn't your problem.

If your asking why they're not written to the CD in the order of the playlist....well...they never will be. They will always be written in an alphabetical order.

10-27

BCPalmer

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2002, 07:55:34 pm »

xen-uno,

The options button I'm talking about is in the burn CD area.

If I set Rearrange CD Folder to None, then the playlist.m3u file written to the CD reflects the order from the playlist I created in MJ playlists.

If I set the Rearrange CD Folder to anything other than None, the playlist M3U file will reflect the change in the Burn CD list of files.  I verified this by burning a CD-RW and then bringing up the playlist.m3u in notepad.  It no longer matched my original playlist in MJ.

I am well aware of the fact that no matter how the files are written to the media (and they don't have to be written in alphabetical order), every player I've seen retrieves files in alphabetical order.  That's where the playlist.m3u file comes in handy.

Thanks for the help!!!

BTW I've got the SlimX also.  Very nice player! :)

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2002, 05:48:25 am »

The best way (to get consistant results) is NOT to use sub-dirs on your CD's. It just complicates things. Put them all in the root dir of the CD. SlimX can read up to 20 m3u's per disk. Thats a lot of lists! So it makes setting up those sub-dirs unnecessary.

Next thing...use CD-RW's. Packet write format them with Roxio/Adaptec DirectCD or InCD. After formatting, useable space drops from 700MB to about 565MB. That's still a lot of space. Beauty of it is you can treat that disk as a removable hard drive (so to speak). You can copy, edit, delete, etc. files with ease...and the SlimX will read them.

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up