INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10.0.108 Web Media  (Read 2610 times)

paulr

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
10.0.108 Web Media
« on: April 06, 2004, 07:04:31 pm »

Posting here because I don't know if this is a bug or if I missed something earlier as I rarely use the Web Media feature.  That being said, I am getting no audio whatsoever on web media.  It is connecting, buffering and playing, but I hear nothing.  If I play something from my library, it works just fine.

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
Re:10.0.108 Web Media
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 07:11:29 pm »

mine works fine  ;D

try some different stations, maybe also try resetting pc

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 07:19:09 pm »

Okay.  I think this is definitely a bug.  If I choose one of the featured channels, it plays with audio.  If I use the search feature, I get no audio.  I tried 6 different channels (all very different) and none of them have audio if I use search.

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 08:06:14 pm »

i tried the same as you - using search function. i cant reproduce this - it works fine here

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 08:13:10 pm »

Hmm, I just checked again and found a station that works (it was an FM station)..  So I guess Radio Free and Radiostorm aren't working for me.

Ok, so it works for some of the streams...  Buggy?  Or just a problem with some streams?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 11:56:00 pm »

Just to add to this, I tried this on 4 systems.  Two of them don't work with the "Radio Free" streams, and two of them do.  I cannot figure out what the difference is that is causing this.

All 4 systems work fine with mp3, real, etc. streams.

Larry

pat1066

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 08:31:45 am »

Seems to vary from version to version and station to station!
There are stacks of old posts from puzzled people
JRiver seem a little coy...
Pat.
Pat.

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 02:21:39 pm »

Well, I checked a whole bunch of stations.  A LOT of them seem to point to non-existant files.  Some of them play (I see the play counter counting) but make no sound.  A small percentage actually work.

I don't use web media much, and when I do it's usually from Shoutcast/Winamp because their search feature actually pays attention to streaming speeds you want.  If you search for 128kbps in MC, you get everything from 0 to 128k...

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2004, 04:50:31 pm »

At this point, my concern is the fact that some systems can't play a LOT of the stations that other systems CAN play -- namely wma stations like the "Radio Free" ones.

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2004, 05:51:17 pm »

At this point, my concern is the fact that some systems can't play a LOT of the stations that other systems CAN play -- namely wma stations like the "Radio Free" ones.

Larry
What's different?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2004, 06:28:08 pm »

Larry
What's different?

That's what I just can't seem to figure out.  I've gone over all the obvious stuff -- MC settings, firewall settings, etc. -- but everything is set up the same way.  It doesn't seem to be a firewall issue since 1) its' the same version of the same firewall with the same settings on all systems, 2) the firewall is not indicating any blocking during this process, and 3) other streams like mp3 work fine on ALL systems.

Do streaming wma files utilize settings from someplace that mp3 streams to not -- for example, is there possibly something in the "Windows Media Player" settings that would effect the playback of wma streams through MC?

Could you point me to some possibilities of what to look for that might interfere with playing wma streams specifically?

Thanks,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 06:37:51 pm »

A good way to approach a problem like this is to start changing a PC that doesn't work to resemble a PC that does.  For instance, move one to the other location.  Swap IP addresses.  Change IE settings, etc.

Make sure all PC's are up to date with Windows.  IE/Tools/Windows Update.

Firewall, proxy server, virus checker, other software, etc., etc.

Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up