INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Genesis folowers?  (Read 3367 times)

nivw

• World Citizen
  • "I m singing in the rain, na na nanana..."
Genesis folowers?
« on: April 05, 2004, 09:12:52 pm »

Ever since a roomate of my intreduced me to the early work of Genesis, I grow hungrey for more of this sound-lyrics.
May any one point me to similer band?
allmusic, sent me to pendragon...
not bad

Niv

MHunt

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re:Genesis folowers?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 09:29:50 pm »

Fleetwood Mac?

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 09:37:40 pm »

Peter Gabriel (especially early stuff)
Kate Bush

zevele10

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 09:46:49 pm »

Try Fish

Me , The GREAT Zev , Plays: 16 Horsepower · Alone and Forsaken [2:49 · #4] From the album: Folklore

king896

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 10:56:21 pm »

I'll throw out some names of bands that have a similar sound or were inspired by Genesis-
Marillion- Misplaced Childhood - If Genesis had released a album in the 80's that sounded like work for the early 70's this would be it, great lyrics and impressive music.

Spock's Beard- Has a similar vibe as Genesis while being more accessible and modern, check out the album V.

Transatlantic- If you liked the song Supper's Ready, well all there pieces are like that, they only released 2 albums with 9 songs on them total check out there second release Bridge across Forever, it contains only 4 tracks with 2 ranging over 25 minutes.

cryst

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 11:21:34 pm »

Peter Gabriel (especially early stuff)

Love his voice.

@l@n

• World Citizen
  • bla bla bla, bla bla bla bla
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 11:44:15 pm »

In the latest PC Magazine (April 20, 2004), there is a list of the Top 100 Undiscovered Web Sites.  One of the ones they list is MusicPlasma http://www.musicplasma.com/.

You type in an artist's name and you get a weblike zoomable map of related musicians, with that artist at the center.

Give it a try, you might find something interesting???

Enjoy...  @l@n
Download the aLyrics plug-in at http://aLyrics.auldridge.biz

rocketsauce

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 06:01:22 am »

Fleetwood Mac?

I'm not quite sure why you think Fleetwood Mac sound like early Genesis. FM are my absolute favourite band. I have all their official CD's (around 50) and have seen them live 6 times (5 times in 2 weeks last year). I'm also a fan of Genesis, particularly early Genesis and can't really see any similarity between their progressive rock and FM's wide variety of styles over the years.

As others have mentioned, Peter Gabriel's music is the next step on from Genesis. Personally I prefer the work Peter did since he left Genesis in 1974 to the work Genesis did in the 80's when they became much more of a pop band. Of PG's CD's I think Peter Gabriel 3 and Peter Gabriel 4 (aka Security) are the best followed very closely by his latest release, UP. If you haven't got any PG at the moment I recommend getting last year's greatest hits CD HIT. The music on the second CD (MISS) is superb. If you get a chance to see Peter live it is a sensational experience. I saw him last year and the music and show he put on were superb. I'm going to see him again twice in June.

If you want something a bit more progressive then you can't go wrong with Pink Floyd. Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here are fantastic albums. Again, if you haven't listened to Pink Floyd much before I suggest getting their latest greatest hits CD Echoes.

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 06:02:56 pm »

Genesis were very unique (early Genesis) later Genesis was another band completely. So there aren't too many other bands that sound like them. However, some of the features that helped to define their sound was the Mellotron, jazz influenced drums and a really integrated sound between guitar and keyboards.

With this in mind, check out early Pink Floyd, pre Dark Side of the Moon, specifically, Ummagumma, Meddle and their first two albums. Also, early Yes up to Relayer. Early King Crimson up to Red. Emerson Lake and Palmer up to Brain Salad Surgery. Early Moody Blues. Other good progressive bands include, Early Roxy Music, anything by Eno, Faust, Egg, National Health, Gong (especially their Radio Gnome Invisible Trilogy), Soft Machine's first three albums, Robert Wyatt's solo albums, you might like Nick Drake's Bryter Layter album.

None of them necessarily sound like Genesis, they had a certain theatrical quality that was uniquely theirs, but they would all sound good in the same playlist...

zevele10

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 06:43:34 pm »

Soft Machine
they 2 first and ONE song from they third.

Me , The GREAT Zev , Plays: My Dying Bride · Your River [9:23 · #2] From the album: Turn Loose the Swans (2003 Reissue)

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 07:44:13 pm »

WOW, musicplasma is really, really, really cool!

@l@n

• World Citizen
  • bla bla bla, bla bla bla bla
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 07:47:10 pm »

WOW, musicplasma is really, really, really cool!

Great!  I'm glad you like it.  :)  I just stumbled across it last night...
Download the aLyrics plug-in at http://aLyrics.auldridge.biz

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
  • No matter where you go, there you are
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2004, 08:55:40 pm »

I love Genesis. All the way up to Abacab, for different reasons. Saw Peter Gabriel last year, and it had to be the best show I'd ever seen. Pick up the DVD (Growing Up), put it on a big screen with DTS audio, and you can pretty well experience it for yourself.

When looking for stuff in a similar vein, there's a fairly obscure Canadian band named FM (distinct from the acronym for Fleetwood Mac listed above). Their first album, named Black Noise is really interesting. It's available up here on CD. It's very unique in a Genesis-esque sort of way. Doesn't have the same sound but I catch the same spirit somehow.

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004, 02:15:59 pm »

Just checked out musicplasma.com and, egads!, I forgot Gentle Giant! Anything up to and not including Giant for a Day.

modelmaker

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2004, 11:44:18 am »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned YES (1970's), there's also Manfred Mann's Earth band (also 70's/early 80's), the previously mentioned FM-Black Noise (more synth oriented), David Gilmore's 1st & 2nd, Chris Squire's Fish Out Of Water, Robin Trower, Steve Hillage, Jade Warrior, Wishbone Ash's Live Dates, illusion (mp3.com), Todd Rungren/Utopia and of course solo albums by Genesis members' Tony Banks and Anthony Phillips.

Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2004, 11:46:59 am »

I'm not quite sure why you think Fleetwood Mac sound like early Genesis.

I was wondering the same thing.

I guess we could throw in ABBA also
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2004, 02:22:27 pm »

I'm not quite sure why you think Fleetwood Mac sound like early Genesis.

I was wondering the same thing.

I guess we could throw in ABBA also

...and Starland Vocal Band

nivw

• World Citizen
  • "I m singing in the rain, na na nanana..."
Wow
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2004, 02:58:59 pm »

Thanks folks for all names.
lots of p2p now 2 try and find it.
Remember the old days when I could ask this question at my local record store, and be served with lots of examples?
Seems that all these record stores have disappeared.
Good thing we have the net, to ask listen and order.

--- YES? are them the dudes with thepainted faces?
Niv

modelmaker

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2004, 04:44:24 pm »

No, that was Peter Gabriel in his early days with Genesis when he made up costumes and painted his face for live shows (the early part of his solo career also). He has always been rather theatrical.

Yes "must listen to' albums: "The Yes Album", "Fragile", "Close To The Edge".

About Fleetwood Mac, he may have been making a joke or he was referring to the original, pre-Stevie Nicks/Buckingham incarnation, which was a blues based band - not a pop band, although they did have a hit or two back in the late 60's/early 70's. I'm still not sure I get the association though.

Quisp: I missed your mention of Yes, sorry.
Jay.

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2004, 04:52:26 pm »

Yes "must listen to' albums: "The Yes Album", "Fragile", "Close To The Edge".

Quisp: I missed your mention of Yes, sorry.

No problem, easy to miss in my run on paragraph. I'd add Tales from Topographic Oceans and Relayer to the above Yes list, but the three mentioned above are the classics and include Bill Bruford on drums. Also wanted to add Steve Hackett's first solo album, Voyage of the Acolyte. That album actually sounded more like Genesis than Genesis when it came out.

cryst

Re:Wow
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2004, 05:16:25 pm »

modelmaker

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2004, 05:41:15 pm »

I'm not a big Kiss fan obviously, as I should have thought of them with their painted faces, I guess I was just thinking about Gabriel!

Absolutely also musts,'Tales' & 'Relayer' & parts of 'Going For the One' (saw that show and close to the edge and Union). I've been a Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis (and their derivatives) fan from their beginnings.

I saw Genesis for the fist time at an "Open Air Festival" in the early 70's just outside of Frankfurt, germany. Other bands on the bill were: Gentle Giant, Greg Lake, Manfred Mann, and Supertramp(another great band). A pretty good primer!

Listening to: 'Counting Out Time' from 'The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway' by 'Genesis' on Media Center 9.0. Yeah, I'm a 9.0 holdout.

Listening to: 'Burn You Up, Burn You Down' from 'Hit' by 'Peter Gabriel' on Media Center 9.0

(this was purely coincidental - MC's on random play!)
Jay.

Pages: [1]   Go Up