INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drive letter change and music files  (Read 1550 times)

geoptin

• World Citizen
Drive letter change and music files
« on: April 16, 2004, 02:57:13 pm »

Hi,

I hope somebody will be able to help me. I have all my music files on a partition that used to be drive letter F: I changed it to I: and I just want MC10(115) to read the new location of about 6000 tagged files and update my library automatically. Right now all my files have a red X and the filepath still shows F:\....

Any suggestions??? :-[

Thanks, George
geoptin

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re:Drive letter change and music files
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 03:10:22 pm »

Your best bet would probably be to re-change the drive letter back to "I", then make sure that all of your files' tags match the database (by using Update tags from Library with everything selected), then change the drive letter back to "F".  After that, open up your Media Library, remove all the files (Select All --> Delete --> Remove from Library), then re-import.

Before you try this, I suppose it would be worth it to try selecting all the missing files in your current situation, and trying "Move/Copy File" and pointing them at the new location.  I wouldn't get my hopes up, but this would be worth a shot.

It would be nice if MC offered an option to "re-link" missing files that had been moved, as this happens to me fairly often.  I have scripts that move and organize my "new" files automagically.  Often though, I will import the files into MC (to preview them) prior to these scripts being run.  Once the scripts do run, I end up with all these missing files in the DB.  It would be nice to be able to select the missing files, right click and choose "Re-Link Missing Files", have a dialog where you choose the drive/directory to search, and click go.  I'm thinking of functionality much like the "Reconnect Media" function in Final Cut Pro.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 03:26:09 pm »

the problem with library delete all files and then re-import is that it works fine for files that are tagged and the contents of those tags are stored in the files themselves.

If ever custom fields were made which were not stored in the files but only in the library then there would be loss of these library only tags.

I support the idea of a re-link though.

i'm wondering if a search/replace for File location would do the trick, search for F:\ and replace with I:\  ( which is another way to move the files i suppose)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 03:30:15 pm »

Hi,

I hope somebody will be able to help me. I have all my music files on a partition that used to be drive letter F: I changed it to I: and I just want MC10(115) to read the new location of about 6000 tagged files and update my library automatically. Right now all my files have a red X and the filepath still shows F:\....

Any suggestions??? :-[

Thanks, George

Tools > Library Tools > Find and Replace... F:\ with I:\

Should take about a second
pretend this is something funny

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 04:22:49 pm »

Exactly. That's wat I have used several times. But it takes a bit more than a second when you're moving tens of gigs at a time...  ;D
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

geoptin

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004, 01:05:40 pm »

Thanks to all you guys for helping me out. I tried both solutions and everything worked just fine. ;D

George
geoptin

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004, 03:45:24 pm »

But it takes a bit more than a second when you're moving tens of gigs at a time...  ;D

I just meant the find/replace, not the moving.  I WISH the moving only took that long 8)
pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up