INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tutorials  (Read 1705 times)

drb

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
tutorials
« on: April 16, 2004, 09:12:06 am »

This might be a dumb plan. But wondering if some information from this forum can be put in one place in an organized form.
For example:
Encoding songs with flac format
Encoding songs with lossless format etc

with in depth/ step-by-step instructions using MC (accompanied by screenshots if necessary) would help newbies and geeks like me.

As it is kind of hard to go through the search process in the forum and collect the information. For example to know which format is suitable, it would take several minutes/hours to browse and get. If all this information is summarized in one spot, it would be great a resource.

Maybe such thing exists already, if so, pardon me and please point me to that.

drb ?

kaiynne

• World Citizen
  • I Changed this by choosing profile
Re:tutorials
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 02:57:55 pm »

This really is a great idea, not only does it help existing users , but it attracts new users.  For example when i was looking into pvrs i came across Tivo community forums, that pretty much convinced me to go with a directivo.  I am sure there are plenty of people that are doing searches for things like "best lossless format" etc.  If this happened to lead them to MC which is the best software for handling audio files IMHO, and also told them how to go about using MC to do what they want then that would mean more users for sure.

I would be willing to help on this project, as collecting knowledge in one place is kind of an obsession/hobby for me.

So we need to decide what tutorial topics would be most worthy to begin with.

As a final thought i think that this would also be a big benefit to both power users and the developers, mainly because MC is so powerfull that there are many different ways to do even simple tasks.  And the more info the guys writing the program have about how it is used the better it will become.

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 03:29:06 pm »

GREAT IDEA ;D
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 03:40:50 pm »

Great idea!

Tutorials I'd like to see (some of these are not necessarily tutorials, but lists of tips and tricks that people use):

1.  Advanced smartlist creation.  I'd love to see some of the tricks that people use and some insight into some of the more esoteric smartlist functions.  Of course if you do an advanced tutorial, you probably also need...
2.  Smartlist creation.  Basic smartlist functions and use
3.  Custom views.  Custom views + Smartlists.
4.  Command line tips and tricks
5.  Automation with external tools (Girder, etc.)
6.  Cover art management :)  (right now, the cover art functionality is not intuitive)
7.  Tricks with custom and calculated tags (for instance, I added a tag called 'Best of' so that I could make a 'Best of' smartlist that plays, what I consider to be, the best songs of each artist.

I can probably think of more, but this is a good start. :)

kaiynne

• World Citizen
  • I Changed this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 04:15:25 pm »

Some great tutorials there.
I think that a tutorial on ripping cds and which formats are supported would be nice as well.  Also an advanced tutorial on how to setup unsuported formats.

drb

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004, 09:27:13 am »

I am glad all of you are agreeing. This is how I feel. When I first used MC couple of weeks back, i wanted a very simple information and tried to go through the help file (i guess many of us hate that first time). I was trying to know how to 'import a playlist' and how to import playlists across 2 computers without damaging the file locations.

Help file in MC, did not mention (atleast to my search) on how to import a playlist. tutorials in MC brings up the help files in a roundabout way. Eventually I posted the q in the forum and got the answer. My regards to those noble souls who answered it.

However, how long can this go on.......

hence for simpler things (to jumpstart) things with MC, it would be great to have some tutorials or just collection of information from this forum and put in a organized way.

So that people responding to questions, does not get bothered with petty stuff.

Is admin reading? any suggestions please?

drb

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004, 10:33:46 am »

admin always reads

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day