INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Do not play silence" is too sensitive  (Read 3222 times)

Roar

• Recent member
"Do not play silence" is too sensitive
« on: April 14, 2004, 08:14:55 pm »

Here's a bug report on something which has been annoying me since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe even 7?) and is still present in Media Center 10.0.114.

If the playback option "Do not play silence" is enabled, it is much too sensitive. Certain songs have their rhytm changed, because very short passages of silence between drum-beats are shortened by enabling this function.

To hear the effect, try playing the track "Mother Stands for Comfort" from the Kate Bush album "Hounds of Love". At the very beginning of the track there are three drum-beats three times in a row, with passages of silence between the drum-beats of up to approx. 1.15 seconds. These passages are shortened so that the rhytm of the drum-beats is significantly and annoyingly changed.

It is my opininion that the "Do not play silence" option is intended to skip long passages of silence within tracks, or at the beginning and end of tracks - not change the rhytm of the music.  ;)

If the sensitivity of the "Do not play silence" option could be increased to at least two seconds or more, I think it would work more as intended.

...or maybe I'm just listening to the wrong kinds of music?  ;D

Since this is more of an annoyance than a crippling horrendous error, I understand that it will be given a low priority - it would still be nice to have it fixed though.

Best Regards,
- Roar

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:"Do not play silence" is too sensitive
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 08:54:06 am »

Agreed.  It'll be changed next build.

Thanks!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
  • Reaper of Righteous Riffs
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 01:15:22 pm »

Hmmmmmmmmm... I'm concerned now... Exactly what part of Roar's suggestion are you intending to "fix" Matt?

For me, using MC to DJ at swing dances (where we play discreet songs, no cross fading), the current settings work perfectly, as it chops off the short (less than 2 second) silences at the tail of one track and the head of another, so I get a nice predictable gap (I've set it to .5 sec) between songs. If you change the tail/head threshold of the silence removal, then I'm going to end up with unpredictable length silences of way more than .5 sec... seems like as much as 8 times as long (4 sec) !!! This may seem like no big deal, but in practice it would be totally unacceptable.

I urge you to only change only the internal silence threshold.

Thanks,
Jeff

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 01:19:52 pm »

I urge you to only change only the internal silence threshold.

Exactly.

Chopping off any amount of leading and trailing silence is always good. (I think)

Roar

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 01:46:37 pm »

Jeff's comments seem valid to me.

As long as the internal silence suppresion isn't butchering the rhythm, I'd be happy! Jeff would probably also think it unacceptable, if the tunes he plays had their rhythm changed.  :)

- Roar

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 03:17:19 pm »

Thanks Matt... breathing a sigh of relief.

Very true Roar, I'm with you. That would be a big problem for me too, but luckily I haven't experienced that yet. I personally have no need for MC to remove internal silence and thereby change the duration of dramatic "breaks" in the music.

Cheers,
Jeff

Roar

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 04:35:56 pm »

The "Do not play silence" option should still remove long internal stretches of silence, such as those used for "hidden tracks" at the end of some CD's, right Jeff? Do we agree?

I would suggest that handling of leading and trailing silence remain as they are now, and the threshold for internal silence be increased to at least two seconds, but perhaps more (or user selectable, but that is probably overkill).

Thanks.

- Roar

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 04:40:19 pm »

The build that just went up has the changes.

All leading and trailing silence is still trimmed.

The threshold for internal silence was increased.  It isn't designed to remove "dramatic gaps", but instead silly gaps like 10 minutes of silence before a hidden track. (why do artists do that?)

Roar

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 05:12:48 pm »

Ahhh, this is just what the doctor ordered.  :)

Thanks to Matt, and to the rest of the MC team, for being so responsive to customer feedback!

I'm almost ashamed that I only paid the bargain price of $24.88 for an MC license, instead of the full $39.98 price.  ;D

Thanks from one happy customer,
- Roar

Sir Alan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 05:53:11 pm »

Is this a good time to repeat my earlier request for this facility to be provided as an option when ripping or converting tracks?  As the iPod faithfully plays the leading and trailing silences, it would be really useful to get rid of them permanently.  Without editing them all manually, before anyone suggests Media Editor again.
"Progress just makes bad things happen faster" – Granny Weatherwax

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2004, 12:01:00 am »

I second Roar's kudos. You guys rock!

Cheers,
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up