INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vorbisgain  (Read 1635 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
Vorbisgain
« on: November 19, 2002, 08:52:23 am »

If I understand correctly ... Vorbisgain simply tags the the OGG such that MJ will adjust the volume accordingly.  My 1st question is ... does MJ pay attention to "gain" tags applied to OGG files?  Does MJ use the same method if "replay gain" is enabled??  Can I assume MJ's method is quite different than using Vorbisgain in "album" mode ?

For those who've used Vorbisgain:  I've used MP3gain, but it has an "analyze" mode ... such that a MP3 can be analyzed, or a group analyzed as an album.  How is this accomplished with Vorbisgain ... or does Vg simply adjust the tag such that a single OGG is 89db, and an album of OGGs averages to 89db? (I cannot find a Vg FAQ anywhere! ? )
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Vorbisgain
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2002, 09:20:36 am »

> does MJ pay attention to "gain" tags applied to OGG files?

Not currently (with VorbisGain)...do not know what the state of affairs is. Should be there is v9.

MJ RG tags the Ogg file as well (AFAIK)

MP3Gain works on all players because the file (and data contained) is actually altered.

> does Vg simply adjust the tag such that a single OGG is 89db, and an album of OGGs averages to 89db?

That sounds correct (former is Radio Gain, latter is Album Gain)

There's a ton of info on RG and Ogg in general at HA. Check it out.

10-27

shAf

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2002, 09:53:50 am »

xen-uno writes ... "MJ RG tags the Ogg file as well (AFAIK)" ...

I see ... but I assume the gain tagging is done without reference to any tune other than the one in question (being played) ... that is, there is no way to ask MJ to analyze & set gain for a selection of tunes(?)

Is there any way to inspect the gain tag(s) as applied by MJ??
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2002, 10:13:07 am »

>> that is, there is no way to ask MJ to
>> analyze & set gain for a selection of tunes(?)
that is not required.

with Realplay gain as i understand it it analyzes the mp3 and finds a base point. and it does it to all files the same way.

so no matter when you analyze the file they all should be at the same level when you play them back.

this is not like Normalization where it normalyzes only the ones selected.

>> Is there any way to inspect the gain tag(s)
>> as applied by MJ??
yes
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

rocketsauce

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2002, 11:27:44 am »

there is no way to ask MJ to analyze & set gain for a selection of tunes(?)

Correct, MJ (version 8) Replay Gain only does Radio Gain analysis.  Maybe someone else here knows if an Album Gain option will be available in version 9.

BTW, MJ Replay Gain uses 83dB as the target gain (rather than 89dB used by MP3Gain, Vorbisgain and Replay Gain for MPC), as that is what is suggested by the developer of the original Replay Gain specs.  There was a thread a month or two ago discussing this which you might be able to dig up with a search of the forum.

Rob

phelt

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2002, 12:23:05 pm »

I too hope that Album Gain will be present in v9.

As to the 83 vs. 89 db issue, the developer of MP3Gain chose 89db as the default target after discussions with the ReplayGain spec developer. The primary concern being: 83db is simply too quiet for many/most applications. Dunno about the other developers' decisions.

rocketsauce

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2002, 02:01:08 pm »

Right.  As far as I recall reading, Vorbisgain and MPC Replay Gain are also using 89dB for that same reason.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2002, 02:27:45 pm »

I've got to play around with WavGain...may make post encoded RG unnecessary. No better place to apply RG then at the source. Has anyone done so yet?

10-27

rocketsauce

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2002, 02:47:41 pm »

I have only used WavGain before burning Cd compilations.  Works great!

Also, I remember reading a WavGain thread over at HA awhile back where a few people said that, based on their own listening tests, WavGaining prior to encoding made the encoded files sound better.  I don't recall which format they were encoding to, though, and it may have something to do with the option to add dithering to the files.

Rob

LCtheDJ

• Junior Woodchuck
  • A day without music is... unacceptable!
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2002, 02:50:13 pm »

I have ripped wav's from CD's and run them through WaveGain before encoding to mp3.  Then I used mp3Gain to analyse those mp3's and found them to need no adjustment to reach a set point of 89 dB - the result showed a required adjustment of zero.

I'm also using this method for my ogg files.

You should also note that the Vorbis Comment title that MJ uses for the Replay Gain tag is different than the tag title used by VorbisGain.  If you use Vorbis Gain, you'll get a tag with the recommended adjustment to achieve 89 dB; if you use MJ, you'll get a tag with a different comment title with the recommended adjustment to achieve 83 dB.

VorbisGain gave me tags like this:
REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN=-0.35 dB
REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK=0.64457083

Whereas, on the same file, MJ applied this tag:
MJMETADATA=<MPL Version="1.0">
<Item>
<ExInfo ReplayGain="1|3|5406976|-629|0|" Rating="0"/>
</Item>
</MPL>
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." -- American humorist Will Rogers (1879-1935)
Pages: [1]   Go Up