INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: iRiver Issues  (Read 14571 times)

Gorse

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
iRiver Issues
« on: April 16, 2004, 10:06:28 am »

Hi

I downloaded Media Center on a recommendation from an iRiver forum. Looks great so far and I'll probably be paying and registering after my 30 day trial is up  ;)

I've just ordered my iRiver (iHP-140) and I'm assuming that as it gets recognised by windows as a hard drive that it'll work ok with it. Will Media Center and iRiver synchronise with each other or will I have to drag and drop everything ?

Also are the any iRiver plugins for Media Center ?

Thanks

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:iRiver compatible ?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 02:06:49 pm »

Gorse,

The iHP-140 will be recognized by MC if you use the default volume label for the player or any volume label that has 'ihp' or 'Jukebox' in the name. You will be able to synchronize files but at this time playlists are not supported.  There are not currently any plugins for iRiver players.

Steve

Wintings

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 08:30:15 am »

Yeah, J River should have a plug in for iRiver. I mean, guys, surely family comes first?
There 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary notation and those who don't

GRAYDOG

• World Citizen
  • Weimaraners Rule
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 03:16:58 pm »

I have been thinking about getting a player with more storage , is the iHP-140 a good choice? what encoding does it support ?

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 01:17:01 am »

I have been thinking about getting a player with more storage , is the iHP-140 a good choice? what encoding does it support ?

http://www.iriveramerica.com/products/iHP-140.asp

Plays over 1200 hours of digital music*
Up to 16 hours of battery life
Supports MP3, WMA, ASF, WAV and OGG music files
Ultra-fast USB 2.0 transfers (up to 40 times faster than USB 1.0)
Integrated FM tuner
Backlit remote control with 4-line display
Built-in voice recorder
Intuitive music navigation
Real-time MP3 encoding (no PC required)
40GB of internal storage
Store or transfer files of any type
Extra-large, 8-line, backlit LCD
Rechargeable Lithium Polymer battery
Optical input and output
Upgradeable to future formats and features

GRAYDOG

• World Citizen
  • Weimaraners Rule
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 05:48:31 pm »

Thanks Galley for the link and the info

coreman

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 06:34:40 am »

I understood there were plans for iRiver plugin...is this true?  If so, any idea when?  I use playlists a lot so I am holding off for the "all in one" solution that JRiver offers for both video and audio...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 07:24:58 am »

It's true.  We're working on them now.  It may work now, depending on the model, and also on the version of their driver that you have.  Try the latest from their web site.

madom

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 08:03:40 am »

I own a iHP-140 and have a question regarding file transfer:

On Media Center in "Media Library" I rightclick on an artist and choose "send to" and "Device & Drives" and then the iHP-140. My Problem is, that i shoves all the files into the root folder on the handheld. With a few thousand files on the player, this is devastating.

Is there a way to get Media Center to keep the folder structure on the iHP-140? Or is there a better way of transferring files altogether?

Thank you in advance.
Mario.

SteveG

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 09:42:40 am »

Mario,

Right click on the iHP drive letter and use the "Set root folder" option and the 'Rearrange upload folder' option to auto create the folder structure you are looking for.

Steve

Gorse

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2004, 12:34:08 pm »

Mario beat me to it, I was going to ask that also. Works a treat, thanks Steve  :)

One more thing puzzling me now. When I right click on the iHP drive letter one of the options is synchronise. I tried making up a playlist and using the synchronise option, but I don't see any playlist on my iHP. I guess I'm doing something wrong or have missed something out , how do I see my playlists when using the iHP, any ideas ?

Thanks

John

madom

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2004, 12:46:03 pm »

Steve,

Thank you very much indeed, works perfectly well now.

Mario

SteveG

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2004, 01:24:13 pm »

John,

After the sync you should see the files on the iRiver, but the playlists will not do much until a custom plugin is written for this player. Hopefully before too long.

Steve

madom

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2004, 02:10:13 pm »

Since I have more files on my PC than the iHP can swallow: Does synchronise mean, put all the files from the media library on the PC to the handheld?

Mario

SteveG

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2004, 03:48:43 pm »

Mario,

It depends on what you select. If you select 'Synchronize all files', then yes. In your case, create smartlists or playlists which are subsets of your whole library and sync those.

Steve

coreman

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2004, 12:47:13 am »

It's true.  We're working on them now.  It may work now, depending on the model, and also on the version of their driver that you have.  Try the latest from their web site.

I have the iHP120...anyone know if current version has all the needed plugins?  

I downloaded MC once and found that I liked it a lot.  However the next time I download, I want it to be the version I need so I can go ahead and buy it.  Till then I will continue using my freewares...

Thanks in advance...

madom

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2004, 06:13:51 am »

Steve,

Thank for your advice.

coreman,

No, so far, there is still no plugin for the iRiver.

Mario

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2004, 07:22:23 am »

But you may not need a plug-in to use it.  Check SteveG's comments on using with our WMDM support.  Updated drivers may be needed from iRiver.

SteveG

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2004, 10:17:53 am »

I'm having problems with my iRiver iFP 380T flash player. With WMDM enabled, it shows up in the tree OK. But when I attempt to transfer files to it, only the first file (out of roughly 30) will transfer.

I am using a Smartlist, then selecting all of the files, then right-clicking and choosing Send To > iRiver player. I then click Transfer in the Action Window. Only the first file transfers, and then it stops as if it's done.

I'd post my system info but I'm not at home right now.

crow

Crow,

Try sending just the second file in the Smartlist and see if it transfers. Try to narrow down if the stop is being caused by a particular file or files. If so, please email me the file and I will test, try to duplicate and if I can duplicate fix the issue.

Thanks,

Steve

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2004, 10:54:12 am »

Steve,

Thanks.

I *think* I can pretty much say that it is not a particular file that is causing it. I only say this because I tried doing it a number of times this morning, and each time it did the same thing. Because it was coming from a smartlist, every time I "tried it again," the smartlist was refreshing and the first song was different. I tried it about 4 times.

That being said, I will try it again when I get home from work tonight. I didn't really troubleshoot it much this morning - I was just trying to load the iRiver for the gym before I left for work.

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

SteveG

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2004, 11:12:40 am »

**Moved from MC 10 board**

I found it to be a difference, whether I "upload" or "synchronize" files to the handheld (iRiver iHP-140).

Trying to "synchronize" 30GB from a smartlist to the handheld I had multiple interruptions. There is an error message box, but no message:

It has happened with different files. Also, in a new attempt, the same file can be synchronized ok. The errors could not be reproduced at will. At one point I was able to synchronize 1700+ files without problems, the next time I had an interruption every 20 or so files.

However, if I don't "synchronize", but only "send" the files (selected from the smartlist, then "send to") to the handheld, i get this screen in the action window

and no errors whatsoever.

Also, I found out, that if a file has a dot (.) in the album-ID3-tag, it won't be transfered, error code 3. A dot in the artist- or songname-tag doesn't bother though.

Mario,

I could not replicate the dot in the album-ID3-tag issue. Could you send me a file where the transfer fails so I can test it here? (steve @ jriver.com).

In regards to the synchronization vs upload failure, I think the error has to do with particular files and perhaps is not showing up when you 'send' the files because you are not sending the problematic files. When you see a failure or sync interruption, take note of the file and try to send it by itself and see if it fails/succeeds. If it fails, please send me the file.

Thanks.

Steve

madom

• Recent member
Re:iRiver Issues
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2004, 02:04:02 pm »

Steve,

Sent you the file via email.

As for the synchronization vs upload failure: If a file fails to be synchronized, it won't be if I try a second time. This means, I can't reproduce the error on a particular file. Also, it's quite difficult to find out which was the last file it tried to synchronize since there is no queue-list for the synching process.

I use w2k, MC 10.0.116, iRiver iHP-140 w/ firmare 1.40E

Mario

SteveG

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2004, 11:39:36 am »

FYI,

Mario's issue was sending files with an Album that had a series of '.' characters in the name while trying to build directories on the iRiver for that field. This is fixed in tonight's build of MC.

Steve

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2004, 07:27:19 pm »

I tested my issue again today with the newest build (10.0.123).  All seems to be well.  

Thanks  ;D

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

ph_bradley

• World Citizen
  • Shagadelic Baby!!
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2004, 03:57:07 pm »

just a few questions, as i prepare to sell my ipod to my sister and go for one of these

now that MC is comforable with WMDM, is a plugin for iRiver expected?

the h120 supports .m3u playlists. is there any way of getting MC to transfer my MC playlists to the handheld? or must these smartlists be converted (exported) to .m3u every time i synchronise? if this is the case, this might be something for you to work on, Steve

has the upload/synchronise error been fixed completely now?

are there any other incompatibilities (other than playlists) left with this product?

thanks in advance,
phil
Welcome to flipmode

SteveG

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2004, 07:30:19 pm »

phil,

We are working towards having a plugin for iRiver, but the first hurdle is getting what we need from them to make this happen. We are moving towards this.

has the upload/synchronise error been fixed completely now?

Can you clarify what you are referring to? Synchronization for WMDM is close to being released.

ph_bradley

• World Citizen
  • Shagadelic Baby!!
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2004, 07:26:22 am »

ok steve, thanks for the quick reply.

re. my comment about synchronising, i was simply referring to madom's most recent post, to which i hadnt properly read your answer, so please disregard it ;)

what are you waiting for from iRiver? they recently released a firmware update, and their next official one is scheduled next month (early june)
Welcome to flipmode

SteveG

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2004, 04:18:26 pm »

An software developer's kit if they have one, or more info on where they are headed in regards to playlist support within the WMDM model.

Steve

nonstop

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2004, 10:30:10 pm »

I recently purchased an iRiver iFP-395T after a brief failed bout with an MPIO model.  I love the 395T.
I have been a MJ user since January 2003.  I use it to keep music playing all over my home all the time.  I love MJ 8.0.
However, there appears to be no MJ plugin that supports my new iRiver 395T.  Would you consider developing a plugin?

SteveG

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2004, 10:11:08 am »

nonstop,

We do not have the whole range of iRiver players so we do not have a 395-T. I cannot say from first hand experience whether it will work, but most iRiver players are supported in MC 10 via the WMDM interface (more info here... http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=21453) or if it is detected as a fixed or removable drive by your PC, the player has built in support in MC 10.

Steve

kwake

• World Citizen
  • Excellent piece of software, this Media Center...
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2004, 10:17:35 am »

Hi all,

I just got the iRiver iFP-590T and version 1.11 (UMS) of the firmware works great to make it a removable drive to Windows XP and Media Center.

Note that this is not the latest firmware version, and does not include the .ogg support update... :-\

I'm going to write a letter to iRiver asking for an updated firmware that contains both UMS and .ogg support...we'll see how it goes.

Regards,
Kwake

ph_bradley

• World Citizen
  • Shagadelic Baby!!
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2004, 05:49:55 am »

steve, i have WMDM support enabled, and the latest drivers, but this is what i get:

Welcome to flipmode

SteveG

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2004, 01:39:16 pm »

ph_bradley,

Sorry, I can't currently see your screenshot to give comments.

Steve

ph_bradley

• World Citizen
  • Shagadelic Baby!!
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2004, 09:58:57 am »

sorry, i had run out of bandwidth, it loads up now
Welcome to flipmode

SteveG

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2004, 07:24:48 am »

ph_bradley,

Your player is not being recognized correctly. Can you see it with Windows Media Player? Does it show up in Windows Explorer?

Steve

ph_bradley

• World Citizen
  • Shagadelic Baby!!
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2004, 01:14:07 pm »

nope - see screens:

but the player is fully functuonal, and definitely connected. It acts just like another hard drive. This problem may be caused by the Iriver Database Manager, which ads an entry to the right click menu of the device in windows explorer which launches a program that scans all the files on the device and writes the ID3 info to a database which it places on the iriver.

The screenshots apply whatever computer the iriver is connected to. I realise this is probably where support from you probably ends - this is clearly not a J River issue. But any suggestions would be appreciated.
Welcome to flipmode

SteveG

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2004, 11:05:25 am »

ph_bradley,

If you expand the tree in Windows Explorer, does your player appear in the tree? Try turning off the WMDM support. If it is still not recognized by MC, try renaming the volume label for the player to 'JUKEBOX' by selecting properties for it in Windows Explorer. See if this makes a difference.

Steve

ph_bradley

• World Citizen
  • Shagadelic Baby!!
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2004, 01:53:49 pm »

oddly, it now shows up ok. this may have been as a result of deleting a stray Itunes.db (pointing finger at itunes, software of Satan...) or something.

no worries, thanks for your help. I can now fully help you out with any questions u have about compatibility with the iriver h120 (unless you guys now have one... man i envy your purchasing power!)

by the way, there was a firmware update due today with on the go playlists and on the go file deletion - but it has been delayed...
Welcome to flipmode

SteveG

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2004, 04:06:11 pm »

ph_bradley,

Thanks for the reply. I am glad things are working out. Our hope is to get all these units here so we can test as we go. If we need help, I will let you know. Thanks for the offer.

Steve

ph_bradley

• World Citizen
  • Shagadelic Baby!!
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2004, 04:55:10 am »

Welcome to flipmode

jazzCoder

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2004, 05:33:09 am »

Hi Guys,

I've had my hp140 now for a couple of weeks and just upgraded from media jukebox 8 to mc10 - I need to know how to synchronise my MC10 library with the device.  Currently when I do right-click - synchronise - the application tells me that it wants to copy multiple duplicate files which doesn't seem like a good idea so I cancel at this point.  What I want it to do is to just copy over any new files added and delete ones that I have deleted from my MC10 library - is this possible?  If so what should I do?

cheers,

jazzCoder

SteveG

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2004, 04:52:18 pm »

jazzCoder,

The duplicate warning is telling you that you have multiple files with the same Name, Artist, Album, Genre and Track Number information. If you want to synchronize and have MC make correct determinations about what to send and what to delete, it would be best to resolve this ambiguity. The message you are seeing should direct you to what files are causing the duplication. If you sync after that message, MC will make its best guesses as to what to send and delete, but it won't be perfect.

If you do not want to resolve the duplicates, try creating a playlist with the files you intend to go to your 140 and which has no duplicates.  Then, base other playlists/smartlists on this playlist and the problem should go away.

Steve

ph_bradley

• World Citizen
  • Shagadelic Baby!!
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2004, 06:19:50 pm »

well, still no promised firmware release, but rather than sitting on their arses, it seems they are going through every single bug and fixing it to reduce the number of firmware upgrades me need

check this great news:
http://www.misticriver.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2972
Welcome to flipmode

buhrmi

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2004, 04:44:24 pm »

Uhm, just wanted to ask if MC has support for iriver playlist now :D

SteveG

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2004, 04:58:37 pm »

Not yet. Sorry.

Steve

scales

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2004, 05:16:00 am »

I've got an odd issue that I dont know how to deal with regarding my iHP-140 I recently bought.
It seems that some of the mp3's I've put on it dont play - they show up on the iriver, but when you select them to play, it just pauses on them for a couple of seconds, then skips!
It only happens to whole folders, which makes me think it might be an id3 tag issue or something? Some of the folders have been ripped by me, some by other people, and as the rest work (again, ripped by me or by other people), I dont know where to start to look for specific solutions - if it's an id3 tag issue, then its an odd one - its not just the files i've ripped, or just the files I've got from other people! The only consistancy is that it always happens to whole folders.
Its very frustrating because about 25% of my music isn't playing! :(
The files play fine on my computer at home using any player I choose - winamp, xmms, WMP, etc...
any ideas?

Thanks for any replies,
Ryan

SteveG

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2004, 08:44:46 am »

Ryan,

We do not have an IHP-140 for me to test. Are these files unplayable on the iRiver no matter what program you use to transfer the files? What happens if you transfer the files using Windows Explorer?

Steve

scales

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2004, 10:05:57 am »

I am using internet explorer - using windows 98 I just drag the files over to the iriver. I experience 'lock ups' where windows waits for the iriver to finish writing to disc, which I presume are due to the software and windows 98 being generally old and poo - I've heard it does that on other peoples computers. It doesnt do that with windows xp.

However, thats a bit off topic. Basically, I copy the files by opening up the iriver drive once its plugged in, and dragging them over.

Heres something interesting though: once the database is updated it says theres 12 files that couldnt be accessed (or something), and 24 or so files where the information couldnt be read - sorry I cant remember what it says exactly, will look tonight. Anyway, the point is that whilst album names and artist titles come up for the unplayable directories, the genres for them DONT...

For instance, on one album I copied over, I used winamp's built in media library to set the folder's id3's (perhaps this is the problem?) to be 'Chill out' and there aint no Chill out listed in the genre list on the iriver. However, this could be because they couldnt be accessed by the db software in windows. However, I do know all these songs play fine on my computer, and the id3 tags seem ok too.
I used the same program to rip all my tunes, so it isnt that because the rest work.
I'm a computer programmer by trade so feel free to ask me to investigate any software/hardware issues you think it could be, as I really want to get this working!
Thanks,
Ryan

scales

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2004, 10:13:18 am »

Someone on another group has posted a suggestion to trim the filenames of my folders, as some are medium length, ie:
"euphoria - deep and chilled 2"
so will try that, but all these folders are in the root on the iriver, so i dont see why that could cause so many issues. I will try changing them tonight tho just in case.

ph_bradley

• World Citizen
  • Shagadelic Baby!!
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2004, 04:31:03 pm »

less than 54 characters, for all the fields, and you should have problems

the locking up is weird though - wait til the new firmware, out in a few days.
Welcome to flipmode
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up