INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPOD SUPPORT  (Read 38738 times)

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:IPOD SUPPORT
« Reply #200 on: August 16, 2004, 04:35:57 pm »

Rasmus,

This can be added, but not at this time. In the future I could present a check list for file types to let through or skip.

Steve

lukecro

• Junior Woodchuck
  • editorial, publishing
« Reply #201 on: August 25, 2004, 12:40:33 pm »

WAIT! I've got it.... I seemed to have the wrong/old version of the handheld player plugin installed... I found a help file elsewhere on the forum that the generic "Portable Driver" plugin Version: 9.0.126 should be used for the Ipod in MC10... that wasn't in the other help files, so I guess this must be the culprit of the problem I was having. Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------

OLD MESSAGE:

Okay, so I followed all of the directions at http://www.home.earthlink.net/~ashawley01/ and they were very helpful. Eveything went fine (although I'm using MC 10.0.155, not the MC 9 version listed on the help site -- most things matched up cleanly).

HOWEVER, after I actually tried to transfer files, nothing actually worked. Oh, it SAYS it's working. No errors or crashes... If I transfer a file manually, it quickly transfers and says "transfer complete"... but the file is not actually on the Ipod and cannot be view via either the Ipod or MC. And When I tried auto-syncing toa  playlist, basically the same thing happened -- it seems to work, but nothing actually happens (it says "analyzing devices" and then acts like everything is sweet -- but no files ever actually end up on the ipod).

What am I doing wrong?

(I'm using a new Ipod Mini with the latest MC 10 on a not-so-hot Dell Windows 2000 Professional. And Itunes worked fine with the Mini, so I'm confident the USB connection and hardware are okay).

thank you,

Luke

SteveG

« Reply #202 on: August 25, 2004, 02:12:54 pm »

Luke,

Please get MC 10.0.161 from here....

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=22999

and that should install the correct plugin so that things work well for you.

Steve

Seviien

• World Citizen
  • SteveG for President! :)
« Reply #203 on: August 29, 2004, 08:55:58 pm »

Steve,

After a rather long and drawn out story involving CompUSA putting up huge resistance to the honoring of the TAP they sold me for my G2 iPod, I am now the proud owner of a G4 20GB unit running firmware 3.0.1.  Everything has worked well in MC so far.  I couldn't get MC 11 to properly recognize my ipod with MC 10 uninstalled.  That was a minor hassle, but so long as MC 10 is installed, the iPod functions just as before.

Unfortunately, my playlist problem from before persists.  MC is not properly updating playlist contents following a synch.  If a song is deleted from a playlist, it would appear that MC does not always remove that song from the ipod's version of that list upon synch.  I have the ipod configured to delete songs not in synch.  Songs are physically removed from the ipod properly, but the playlist entries get all screwed up.
The problem might be that if the song still exists on a playlist somewhere in the ipod, and therefore is not deleted, MC does not remove it from the playlists that the song is no longer on.  But that wouldn't explain why some songs which i know to have been deleted from the ipod persisted in playlists after their removal from the player.
Another possibility is that i'm using smartlists which draw random samples of a handful of songs from other lists in MC.  In theory, and in MC itself, these random samples are different each time I look at the list.  Synching to ipod, however, additively increases the songs that appear in the playlist even though some of them get skipped because they've been deleted on subsequent synchs.

Yet more troubling, though, is that i've stumbled across another problem that may not be related.  I had a song on a regular list in MC.  I then changed it's rating to 4 stars and removed it from the playlist.  Changing the rating should cause it to show up in a "4 Star" smartlist automatically.  I saw that it was deleted from the ipod and properly removed from the playlist upon my first subsequent synch, yet failed to reappear in the smartlist as it should have.
More puzzling, is that another song removed from the same playlist and deleted from the ipod during synch, remained in the playlist in the ipod.
Upon a second synching, the song appeared in the "4 star" star list as it should have.

Also, when i de-select a playlist for synching, it remains on the ipod.

SteveG

« Reply #204 on: August 30, 2004, 08:41:26 am »

Seviien,

Do you have MC 10.0.161 installed?

Unfortunately, my playlist problem from before persists.  MC is not properly updating playlist contents following a synch.

See if you can regproduce this behavior with Playlists rather than smartlists.  If you have smartlists which are dynamic (e.g. 'limit of 1 hour' , ' 100 random tracks') these tracks will change on every sync, but the rules should always be honored. For example you should never end up with more than 100 tracks in a smartlist with a limit of 100 tracks as a rule if you have 'Delete unselected files' checked.

In regards to the ratings issue, MC will resend a file with a changed rating if the rating change occurs after the last sync and the rating has not changed on iPod in the interim. Otherwise, the rating from iPod will be synched to MC (assuming you have 'Sync data to MC' selected).

This should not be the case. Please confirm what version you have.

Steve

Bendra

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #205 on: August 30, 2004, 08:54:01 am »

I had that happen to a Smartlist running on build 161.

Seviien

• World Citizen
  • SteveG for President! :)
« Reply #206 on: August 30, 2004, 10:26:23 am »

I'm running the latest alpha of v11 (.070).

I have seen the behavior on playlists as well as smartlists.  
However, I cannot reproduce it readily on playlists as it appears to occur randomly.  As I said before, i deleted 2 songs from a playlist, one did not appear in the ipod's version of that playlist after synch,  one still did.
Smartlists seem to be more of a problem, though, as their rules are not honored.  A playlist which is set to draw 5 songs each from 5 different playlists does not remain at 25 tracks.  It increases each time i synch.  

pank2002

« Reply #207 on: August 30, 2004, 01:58:18 pm »

With the latest build of 11 I can't do anything with the iPod without MC crashing. If I rightclick, sync it chrash. If I chose actions windows sync it chrash. Whatever I do it chrash. I tried to initialize it to see if it helped. It didn't so now I got no music on my iPod and I can't sync. Annoying!

For some reason, which is unknown to me, the iPod is called a not permanent disk rather than iPod in MC. I've also gotten a Nero fast burning plugin. How do I remove it and how has it comed around in the first place?

Thanks,
Rasmus

edit: okay now it works when I go action windows -->sync playlist. 40 out of 2200... I'm holding my breath.
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

SteveG

« Reply #208 on: August 30, 2004, 03:18:00 pm »

I am majorly overhauling the MC 11 Portable code. Please hold on MC 11 issues until the reworked version is released and we can troubleshoot from there.

Thanks.

Steve

Bendra

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #209 on: August 30, 2004, 03:53:00 pm »

Good for you!  

TAFKAFEX

« Reply #210 on: August 31, 2004, 12:29:46 pm »

Steve,

Thanks for your work.

Nigel R

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #211 on: August 31, 2004, 04:07:46 pm »

I recently bought a 3G 40gig Ipod which is causing me a problem syncing with both itunes and anapod explorer which I have just bought.  Having looked at it in some detail, for a non techie, it seems a number of song/ albumwraps I've already got don't have any info in itunes under format/ channels ID3 Tag.   This means they are on the Ipod and can be seen but when I try to listen to them the Ipod simply reverts to the main menu.

This is really frustrating me.  

Any ideas please. ?

SteveG

« Reply #212 on: September 01, 2004, 09:43:45 am »

Nigel,

Try another board for issues with iTunes or Anapod Explorer. This board deals with issues regarding Media Center.

Steve

Nigel R

« Reply #213 on: September 01, 2004, 12:27:33 pm »

Thanks for this but I'm a bit of a beginner.   Can you give me a clue as to which board I should use

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #214 on: September 01, 2004, 01:08:01 pm »

www.ipodlounge.com is a good one.

Nigel R

« Reply #215 on: September 01, 2004, 02:32:51 pm »

Thanks

jimbo_boy

• Recent member
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #216 on: September 01, 2004, 10:34:06 pm »

Hi, Im having issues with 3g ipod and MC11 072
It keeps telling me I need to initialise my ipod but fails to do so, often causing MC11 to crash leaving me with a "send details of problem to Microsoft form"   I have tried this with a freshly restored ipod image aswell.
MC10 build 157 works flawlessly on the same pc.

Any suggestions or should I simply wait for a later build?

Thanks

SteveG

« Reply #217 on: September 02, 2004, 09:47:00 am »

jimbo_boy,

Please wait for the next build with the Portable Device rewrite and we can troubleshoot from there.

Steve

ChinaMan

« Reply #218 on: September 02, 2004, 11:21:05 pm »

Hi,

for the quick readers here is my question: How can I keep the library in MC updated without music files copies on a PC and work just like the iPOD would be my harddrive?

I recently bought a 40GB version of the iPOD and successfully downloaded my entire collection from the former Archos Jukebox 20GB to the iPOD using MC10. This seems to be no problem.
Now, I would like to get rid of my Archos and work solely with the new iPOD. This means I also intend not to keep any copies of my music on my computer or the Archos.

SteveG

« Reply #219 on: September 03, 2004, 09:26:15 am »

How can I keep the library in MC updated without music files copies on a PC and work just like the iPOD would be my harddrive?

Could you clarify this question?

Thanks,

Steve

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #220 on: September 03, 2004, 05:19:29 pm »

I can clarify the question...only because I would be interested to know if there's a way to do it:

How can you store the actual MP3 files on the iPod without also having them on the computer?

If that is possible, how can we use MC to manage, file & tag the files?

Best,
Brad

ChinaMan

« Reply #221 on: September 05, 2004, 04:58:45 am »

Could you clarify this question?

Yes, I am sorry if I tried it too complicated. "bspachman" phrased my question in his words and this is what I want as well. I want to keep all my MP3's solely on my iPod and none on my PC (occasionly I butn CD's for backup copies). With this concept and MC10 I currently fail to update tags, rename files etc. Actually in MC10 I can only work in the handheld folder and my library is empty.
Sure I can copy all MP3's from iPod to PC and then import them into the library. But I bought the 40GB version since I do not have enough space on my PC. Formerly I used the Archos 20GB which hooks up to the PC just as an external drive (not as a handheld). By this my library always was linked to this drive. With the iPod this does not seem to work due to their strange file system.

SteveG

« Reply #222 on: September 07, 2004, 09:23:17 am »

Brad and Chinaman,

This is possible but there are some potential pitfalls.

If you store your files on iPod, for MC to see them, you will need to import files from the iPod into MC. The file paths will all be relative to the current iPod drive letter. If you disconnect and reconnect your iPod, and the iPod is assigned a new drive letter, MC will not know where the files are.

Assuming you solve this, this could work although there may be some hidden issues which will become apparant along the way. Give it a try and I will help if you run into issues.

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #223 on: September 08, 2004, 04:03:34 pm »

Everyone,

This thread has grown large. I will lock it and start a new one.

Steve
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up