INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: IPOD SUPPORT  (Read 38734 times)

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
IPOD SUPPORT
« on: April 16, 2004, 03:46:24 pm »

Hello All,  

For anyone who is new to MC, please be sure to get the latest version from our downloads page or from the first thread on this board.

An excellent help file (thanks Adam) on using MC and iPod can be found here:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~ashawley01/      

For additional information, please check the previous help thread at:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=20309;start=0

For any issues not covered, please post below and someone will respond ASAP.  Please copy and paste your system info from MC Help and include the version of the Portable Drive Plugin you use.    

Thanks,  

Steve

sethk

• Change this by choosing profile
Re:IPOD SUPPORT
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 11:39:30 pm »

When I try to sync using MC 10.0.110 to my iPod, MC crashes after putting 1203 songs (of 9800 or so) onto the iPod.  It's done this twice at the same number.  Then MC can't read what's on the iPod either.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 08:12:58 am »

Please try the latest build posted at the top of the MC board.

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 09:12:17 am »

SethK,

Yes, please get the latest build of MC, but if you are seeing a crash during the transfer, are you doing on the fly conversion? If not, try to isolate what file 1203 is so we can figure out what the problem is. If you figure out what file it is, try copying it directly to iPod from Explorer to see what happens. If it succeeds, delete it from iPod and let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

jweisler

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 10:48:26 am »

I have changed a bunch of my tags in MC.  When I sync to iPod, new tags don't transfer.  Is that some setting that I need to use?  

sethk

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004, 11:41:38 pm »

The new build sees the files on the iPod, but it crashed after about another 1200 songs or so.  I do convert my mp3s from 256 to 128 for the iPod.

What's the best way to figure out if it's crashing on a particular file?  Are any logs produced?

Thanks.

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2004, 09:19:08 am »

jweiser,

The changed files will retransfer if you modify the name, artist, album, genre, track number, composer, comment or rating.

sethk,

No logs are produced, but drop me an email at steve @ jriver.com and I can send you a plugin that will give us some info to sort this out.

Thanks,

Steve

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 08:03:45 am »

Evening all,
May I suggest having a sticky topic within this forum that tells you everything you need to know about making itunes, mc, aac, and the ipod all play nicely together.
Forgive me if this is already in the MC help files, but I assumed it wouldnt be. And though a forum search would probably reap results, it is inconvenient.

Example things that i have read in passing but never paid attention till now because I've never needed to know them before (I never bothered using itunes):

the copying one aac file accoss to the ipod in itunes before synching with mc, thing.

the steps to do in itunes to stop it stealing the ipod every time, and how to stop it automatically taking control (moving and renaming) of all of your files.

getting ratings etc in mc after they've been altered in itunes.

what is acceptable/unacceptable to change in itunes.

etc. etc.

I realise that you have no obligation to extend such support to a third party program, but considering it is gonna be on almost every ipod owners machine (until they see the light) from the day of purchase, I think it would be good publicity for MC's excellent ipod support.
Maybe making it locked would prevent it from getting cluttered too.

Cheers,
Night.

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 10:30:55 am »

Steve,

I'm now seeing the same problem that I saw previously.  Using build 116, I rated a number of albums on my iPod and then synced back to MC with the Sync Data to MC button checked.

None of the ratings were transferred.  Indeed, the null ratings from MC overwrote the ratings on the iPod, undoing my hard work.

For info, of the four albums I had rated, I had also modified one of them within MC (changing track numbers) so I wasn't necessarily expecting this one to work properly.  I know that MC doesn't sync if the album has changed on MC since the previous sync.  However, the other three albums hadn't been touched on MC at all and should have transferred correctly.   Any idea what's going on?

SteveG

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 04:58:46 pm »

Madcow,

Ratings from iPod should only ever transfer to MC when the date modified on the file in MC is less than the last synchronization time (which is stored whenever you start a sync) and the rating on iPod is not 0 and you have checked 'Sync data to MC'.

One of the few ways to explain what you saw is that the files in MC were modified after the last synchronization.  Even though the files 'were not touched' the possibility exists that they were modified somehow. In testing try checking the date modified value to be sure it is not changed.

Let me know how it turns out. I may need to send you a test to verify what is going on. I cannot duplicate it here.

Park,

If you ever fully format your iPod (not just initialize it) and you want to enable AAC playback, you must transfer one AAC file one time using iTunes. This creates a license file on iPod which will enable playback. Even if after that you intialize iPod, playback will still work.

If you want iTunes to stop grabbing iPod, click on the iPod icon at the bottom of iTunes (when iPod is attached) and deselect the checkbox for 'Open iTunes when attached'.

In regards to using iTunes and iPod and MC and AAC, it is not recommended to do a lot of switching back and forth. Someday I will put a bunch of time into making them all play together more seamlessly, but our focus for now in regards to iPod is to make it work well with MC.

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2004, 05:32:21 pm »

One of the few ways to explain what you saw is that the files in MC were modified after the last synchronization.  Even though the files 'were not touched' the possibility exists that they were modified somehow. In testing try checking the date modified value to be sure it is not changed.

For one of the albums in question, where the ratings were amended on the iPod but which were not transferred back to MC, the files have a "date last modified" in Windows of 23rd January 2004, well before my last sync.  So I don't think this is the problem.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2004, 09:26:22 pm »

Thanks a lot steve.

Actually I dont really want to use itunes and only did once because i couldnt get a cd to rip in mc. I cant buy music (living in japan) and have now finished ripping my music collection, so itunes is pretty useless to me.

Just thought it was a useful idea and might stop some repeated questions coming up.

:) :) :)

ndwek

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2004, 12:44:34 am »

I just upgraded to MC10.0.116 from 9.<something>. When I would sync my ipod with MC9, CDs with multiple artists would show up on my iPod under (multiple artists) - just the way I like it. Now that I've upgraded to MC10 this is no longer the case. Now each and every artist shows up under artists on my iPod. Any idea what I'm doing wrong and how to get back to having them listed under multiple artists?

SteveG

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2004, 09:47:49 am »

ndwek,

The 'multiple artists' option was removed as part of the overhaul of how portables interact with MC in 10. It may come back in the future.

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2004, 11:12:07 am »

** MOVED FROM MC THREAD**

Rating changes on an iPod aren't reflected in MC like they used to.  I don't know if I can reproduce this, but first, I upload songs to the iPod, then I import to the library using the iPod as the source with subfolders.  Then I synchronize to put my smartlists on.  I have the smartlist for unrated songs; I go through the list and listen to each one and rate it accordingly.  After that, when I try to synchronize, MC deletes all the songs with the changed ratings and then it gives an error about not being able to find the files it just deleted.  Going further, I reupload the songs that were deleted (I started testing using only one song with a rating change so there's less to re-upload).  I restore a backup library that just has the smartlists already made but nothing imported yet.  Then I import again.  And no matter how many times I sync, rate, sync, rerate, every time I rate a song then try to sync that change within MC (sync data to MC is always checked) the rating is reset to have no rating.  

Everything was working fine for me at least a month ago, before problems erupted about the database being corrupted or having all songs and smartlists visible in MC10 but not in the iPod.  I'm really unsure of the build because there were so many, but I'm pretty sure it was just before tag altering through the iPod database screen was disabled.  If MC10 doesn't seem to be going where someone like me would want it to go, can you let me know that version of MC10 and let me download it somewhere?  Everything worked brilliantly before, mostly.  Cleared the library every time I uploaded new files, reimported, synced, synced again whenever I changed ratings.  I only occasionally had a problem with file duplicates showing up and I'd happily trade that problem with this.

ForsakenArdor,

Fundamentally you are going about this in a way that is making life hard for you. Can you try the following, or let me know why it is advantageous to attempt to do it like you are doing? I think all of what you need is already build into the synchronization process.

I would like to see you remove these steps from what you are doing:

1) The reimport of files in your MC library after you transfer them to iPod.
2) The way you are rating songs and synching
3) Clearing the library

Try this..

1) Create your smartlists/playlists in MC.
2) Synchronize your files to iPod

After that, if you want to change ratings for songs on iPod, go ahead. If you want those changes to update MC, simply check the box in the synchronization dialalogue for 'Sync data to MC'. If you prefer to have MC keep its ratings, deselect this box.

No need to reimport and clear and update the library in MC.

Please let me know if this process breaks down for you.

Steve

ForsakenArdor

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I hate Jay Leno.
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2004, 03:05:00 am »

Thanks for responding, Steve.  I do it this way simply because I want to keep my hard drive uncluttered.  I only want to keep backups of downloaded stuff and keep everything I encoded from my own CDs on the iPod.  I have a program called Sharepod that'll backup everything if something with MC becomes wonky so I don't have to deal with Windows Explorer crashing after copying files and the iPod diretory structure for an hour or so.  I found a workaround for this issue.  After rating unrated songs or changing a rating, clear the library, or restore a backup like I described above, then import again.  All the new ratings will transfer.  I did this today.  Only one song didn't get a rating, but I think I just forgot to.

Bendra

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2004, 08:18:37 am »

MC10 didn't recognize my pod today.  It did yesterday. I'm up to build 118.

SteveG

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2004, 10:08:10 am »

ForsakenArdor,

Thanks for the clarification of what you are doing. I do not think many others are doing this. If others are, please post and I will make this process more user friendly. In the meantime, it sounds like you have a workable solution. If you hit snags with it, please let me know.

Bendra,

Did not recognize it as an iPod (as compared to a removable drive) or did not see it at all? If not as an iPod, use Windows Explorer to look and see if there is a file called 'iPod_Control'. If it is not there, you should reformat your iPod. If you do not see iPod in Windows Explorer, you have a hardware issue.

Steve

Bendra

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2004, 10:34:52 am »

I saw iPod in windows explorer. I re-booted and it came back to MC10.  Sorry for the stupidity, as I do know that "kicking the tires" helps a lot.

Zeke

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2004, 07:05:26 pm »

With the last several builds my IPOD does not synchronize (currently using build 10.0.122).  The IPOD does show up under drives and devices.  Everytime I try to synchronize the IPOD MC crashes.  I have tried reformatting, etc, with no help.

Using the 'send to' and then transfer does work in getting the song transferred into the IPOD.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

SteveG

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2004, 04:19:12 pm »

Zeke,

Does the crash occur before the file transfer begins? If before, try transferring the exact same files via 'send to' as are in the selected playlists for synching and my bet is it will crash as well. The next thing to do if you can is to confirm what I predict and then narrow down what file(s) are causing the crash.  You mention that send to works for a song (as opposed to songs). Can you create the crash with one specific song?

Steve

Lumsmore

iPod problems
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2004, 08:26:22 pm »

Hi all. I'm banging my head on the wall using the eval copy of MC v10.0.122 and my iPod.  :o

I'll try to outline the various issues I've run into tonight:
1. I don't see it listed in my Windows Explorer, but I've been syncing with iTunes successfully for months, so I know the iPod can connect to the PC. It seems like this is required. I've disabled the auto-connect within iTunes.
2. I installed the iPod plug-in, but it then comes up and tells me that I'm using v9 plug-in with the iPod.
3. After installing the plug-in, MC told me I had to initialize the iPod, which it did.
4. I then tried to synch the iPod by dragging 'all' Audio onto 'handheld player'. When I click transfer, it tells me it was successful 2 seconds later. Of course, nothing happened and the iPod is still empty.

It seems like it almost works. I've read through pages of discussion threads and the FAQ. My iPod is a second generation 20Gig unit.

Any thoughts? I really like what I've seen so far of MC and I'd like to use it.

-Steve S

UPDATE >> After going back into iTunes to restore my iPod, I saw an option for manually disconnectiong the iPod. That was the ticket to solving the entire lot of issues I was having. Once I did that, it showed up in Explorer, I renamed the devide to 'IPOD', (is that still necessary in v10?), did a restore, MC format, and now I'm uploading tunes from MC.

Maybe this will help someone else someday.

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2004, 10:32:57 pm »

WARNING - IPOD Newbie alert!!

Just got an Ipod as a gift and am trying to get it going with MC.

I followed the instructions to reinitialize it with MC.

It shows up as my E drive under drives and devices.

I can select playlists to sync to it.

If the playlist is empty there is no problem, also no tunes obviously.

If the playlist has tunes in it, it starts analysing files and then MC crashes with a Media core error.

This happens with Firewire (4 pin) and usb 2.0 connection.

I cannot be relegated to Itunes!!  I have everything set up in MC, please help.  I did searches in the ipod threads for Media Core, Firewire and USB and came up with zippo.

What am I doing wrong?

System info:

Media Center Registered 10.0.122 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2381 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 654 MB, Free - 340 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D: PHILIPS DVD+RW SDVD6004   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: PHILIPS  DVD+RW SDVD6004    Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:2  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

bkraatz

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2004, 12:11:00 am »

Hello.

I have MC 10.0.116 (just updated to 122, same problems) running and a third generation 30 GB iPod (v. 2.0.1). I trashed everything on my iPod and went through the steps outlined by Adam to get my iPod set up for MC. My main problem is that I tried to transfer my library and it filled up my iPod. My library is only 13.2 GBs, and I was only able to transfer about 2/3rds of it as MC is telling me my iPod is maxed out at 27GBs and some change. My iPod says it has only about 8 or 9 GBs on it--which is what I would expect given the files.

I know I saw some post about a similar problem, but couldn't find it this evening in the forum--I looked through everything. I imagine I'll clear all the files out again and try it over, but I was hoping someone could give me a fix before I go down that lonely road.

Thanks.

Brian
-----------------
Update: Tried a rebuild, no luck. Still hoping to get any easy fix.

-----------------
Update: Put in 122, same problems.

B

SteveG

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2004, 01:51:27 pm »

Steve S,

You do not need to name the iPod anything special, MC will auto detect it. No plugin is listed for iPod under MC 10 because no plugin is necessary. Installing MC 9 plugins for any MC 10 version will not work.

bjsolem,

For starters, try drag and dropping a few files from MC onto the iPod drive letter and then initiate the transfer by selecting 'Transfer' from the Action Window. If that succeeds, create a playlist with 10 files in it and try synching just that playlsit. Let me know the result and lets go from there.

brian,

MC is telling you the iPod is maxed out at 27GB. What space available do you see when iPod is viewed via Windows Explorer? The similar problem was caused when a customer transferred files to the iPod backed up the iPod using some backup software, copied the backed up files back to iPod and reimported them into MC. I doubt that is what you did, but it is definitely not recommended.

If your library is only 13.2 GB and you start with a reformatted iPod which shows approx 30 GB of space, there is not a reason MC should fail to transfer all files. The test of the space when iPod is viewed in Windows Explorer will tell us more.

Steve

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2004, 03:35:36 pm »

bjsolem,

For starters, try drag and dropping a few files from MC onto the iPod drive letter and then initiate the transfer by selecting 'Transfer' from the Action Window. If that succeeds, create a playlist with 10 files in it and try synching just that playlsit. Let me know the result and lets go from there.

I did try the Playlist with just a few songs in it, same result, media core error.

I will try dragging a few songs over tonight or tomorrow.

Do I need to uninstall the Portable Drives plugin?

Thanks for listening....

SteveG

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2004, 03:48:40 pm »

bjsolem,

If you installed a Portable Drive Plugin, that may be your problem. MC 10 automatically installs the correct plugin and you may have installed an incompatible version. Check in Tools->Plug-in Manager->Handheld->Portable Drives. You should see version 9.0.116.  If you have 9.0.116, please let me know the results of the drag and drop test.

Thanks,

Steve

bkraatz

Thanks Steve
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2004, 03:52:50 pm »

Yes, Explorer also says that my iPod is maxed out.

I was using iTunes. I got rid of that, cleared everything off my iPod, formatted iPod for MC, and dragged and dropped files into my iPod via MC. That's where I am now. So MC and Explorer are telling me the iPod is full, whereas my iPod says it has plenty of room.

My guess is that you'll tell me to clear out the iPod again and reformat. If you say so, I'll do it.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

Brian

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2004, 11:56:30 pm »

bjsolem,

If you installed a Portable Drive Plugin, that may be your problem. MC 10 automatically installs the correct plugin and you may have installed an incompatible version. Check in Tools->Plug-in Manager->Handheld->Portable Drives. You should see version 9.0.116.  If you have 9.0.116, please let me know the results of the drag and drop test.

Thanks,

Steve

Portable drive plugin is 9.0.116.  I didn't reinstall or anything, it's just there and that's what I think I used to use with my palm pilot's sd card.

Drag and drop worked to a point.  One or two albums at a time worked.  Large list of mixed songs, all 4 star rated, 5+ gigs, didn't work.  No media core crash, MC simply vanished, quit with no messages.

Anytime I use the smartlist sync window, mc quits, either with a media core message or no message at all.  No smartlists are on my ipod at this point.

While messing around over the weekend I went back to itunes, transferred some songs.  Went back to MC and it reognized the ipod and the songs on it.

I have since re iniitialized the ipod in MC though.

Drag and drop works to a point.
Transfer works to a point
Synchronize - not at all - Bummer
will try send to.

SteveG

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2004, 09:35:08 am »

Brian,

Probably the best thing to do is to format your iPod from within Windows, disconnect and reconnect your iPod and start over. From your description there appear to be file(s) which are taking up space on your iPod but which aren't recognizable by the iPod database and the rebuild is unable to retrieve them. You could check for large numbers of files outside of the Music folder F00-F19 folders which is probably where the problem is. To save time, if you can, just format, reinitialize and start over.

bjsolem,

You most likely have a corrupt file which is causing problems. I will drop you an email on this.

Steve

bkraatz

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2004, 11:39:32 am »

Hey Steve,

Yup, you're on to it. Although my ipod says it only has 9 GB of music on it, when I get into my files I see that most albums have most tracks on there multiple times. This is weird because MC shows no repetitions. So, an album of say 12 tracks may actually have 70 files with the repititions. Hmmm. Still a problem, but I'm not sure how that happened. I defintely didn't accidently duplicate these files and there seems to be no pattern to what file sthis happens to or how many repetitions there are. No other, non-music files, seem to be taking up space.

Anyway, I'll clear it all out and start over. I'll report back too, if you're interested.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

Snuffy2

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Got Corn?
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2004, 11:57:28 am »

Two Feature Reuests:

Now that it seems that the rewrite of the Portable code is rather stable and most of the bugs have been ironed out, I was hoping to get some info on when any of this might be implemented:

1. command line sync - I would LOVE the ability to synch via a command line.  I know that it's been brought up before, but nothing has come from it.
mediaex.exe /sync
mediaex /sync_close
Those would be 2 great options that would greatly improve my iPOD (& MC) use.  That way I could just plug in my iPOD click an icon & walk away knowin that it would sync and then eject the iPOD & close MC (& then charge the iPOD overnight).

2. Dynamic Smartlists - I know you're working on it, was just curious how it was coming along. Is this something we might see in the next month or so or is this months out?

Thanx
Snuffy2

SteveG

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2004, 12:13:59 pm »

Brian,

An older version of MC 10 or another application could have caused this. I think you will be good to go after the format. A report back would be great. Thanks.

Snuffy2,

I can't really give you a timeline on these yet, sorry. I am not currently working on these, but when I come back to them I will give you an estimate.

Steve

ForsakenArdor

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I hate Jay Leno.
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2004, 03:57:04 pm »

Hello, I'm using version 10.0.122 and this problem has been around for dozens of builds.  After uploading songs into the iPod, the database would be corrupted and have all or most song titles, album titles and artist names showing a box character and then z in place of the original two letters.  MC detects everything is fine unless I disconnect and then reconnect the iPod, or probably if I restarted MC.  If you look at the tags from another program or through a playlist or the library, they're fine and unaltered.  Rebuilding the database from the iPod usually corrects the tag problems in iPod, but, in MC's iPod database screen, all the years are off.  From three digit years to 50 years in the future to every number in between.  I've tried formatting and initializing and reuploading all the songs, but the same thing happens again.  Corrupted database, rebuild, year display becomes off.  The year problem is only for MC's iPod database screen and the tag display from selecting songs within that screen.  Please help.

ndwek

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2004, 07:30:22 pm »

ndwek,

The 'multiple artists' option was removed as part of the overhaul of how portables interact with MC in 10. It may come back in the future.

Steve

That was a great feature! My artists list on my ipod is unmanageable without it.
What is the last build of MC9 that had it?

Norman

SteveG

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2004, 11:20:17 am »

Norman,

Multiple Artists was not removed until MC 10 so any version or MC 9 would still include this.

maxl311

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2004, 01:59:50 pm »

I would love to see the "multiple artists" option come back for the artist listing on the iPod. My artists list on my iPod is otherwise unusable. What was the thinking behind removing that option?
Every technology really needs to be shipped with a special manual -- not how to use it but why, when, and for what.

SteveG

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2004, 03:02:49 pm »

When we made the synchronization smarter (i.e. matching existing files in MC against files on Portables) we established a generic way to match files for all Portables. We create a match based on certain tag fields, namely Name, Artist, Album, Genre, and Track Number. If we allow shifting Artist names, this becomes hard. There are solutions and we can look to improve this in the future.

Steve

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Lunchlady Doris, have ye got ony grease?
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2004, 03:38:15 pm »

Hi Steve, me again!

Sorry to keep pestering you but my ipod niggle is still happening,  not the major no files listed in iPoddb prob, (which still happens but found a workaround for that).

Specifically if I retag tracks (name, genre, album) in MC that already exist on iPod, a sync then ADDS the new track to iPod, not replacing it like it should. (all my new music gets retagged & moved to a artist - album folder structure once downloaded therefore this problem is very noticable & extremely reproducible) Thought you might want to know, oh running 10.0.124 & problem is still happening... Not sure if it's just tags or ratings that do this as well.

This may be what Brian is suffering from...been doing much tagging recently?

SteveG

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2004, 09:59:29 am »

Penfold,

I am guessing you do not have 'Delete unselected files' checked, that is why the files are resent. If you click this option, MC will delete the files from iPod and update with the newly tagged files.

Steve

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2004, 03:25:48 am »

Please would someone help me with upgrading from MC9 to MC10?  I just did this, and it doesn't recognise the files on my iPod anymore.  What do I need to do - a complete restore / re-transfer, or just a 'rebuild DB'?

Many thanks,

Mark.

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2004, 04:20:56 pm »

D'oh, sorry Steve, my bad, I left that option off when I was having the db problems as it seemed to delete more than it should have.  ::)

On another note is there any way we can 'silence' errors on non-transferrable files or just stop MC from attempting to transfer non-transferrable files, such as OGG, jpg, mpegs etc as everytime I sync it generates error windows telling me files could not be transferred then telling me MC can't add those files to various playlists, not that I was trying but MC seems to want to do it for me...

SteveG

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2004, 07:21:51 pm »

Mark,

A rebuild should do it. You will lose your playlists, but they should sync quickly once the rebuild is done.

Penfold,

I can make this better tomorrow.

Steve

TimB

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2004, 06:00:49 am »

Amazingly I used the force convert for the first time ever.  It went without a problem (apart from my PC rebooting for a totally unrelated reason).

Once I've done the convert does MC retain the MP3 versions of my APEs for future transfer?

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

pank2002

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2004, 08:01:03 am »

Steve,
let get some of the old Kurt spirit going;
please give us mjextman.exe /iPodSync !
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

SteveG

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2004, 04:17:01 pm »

Penfold,

I have had second thoughts about implementing what you suggested. If I suppress the error for incorrect filetypes, you will gain the convenience of not having to look at the error, but lose the underlying flaw that you are trying to send files that aren't going to get to iPod. This throws off the calculations for available space, size of sync, etc, which leads me to suggest that you create smartlists/playlists which won't cause this error.

TimB,

MC does not retain the files in order to save space on your PC. If you want to keep a second copy of the files, you should do the file conversion within MC and keep both sets of files.  You could create playlsits and smartlists with the converted files to better organize which files are to go to your iPod. After the files are on iPod if you resend them, they will be detected and skipped.

pank2002,

Sometime, sometime.....

Steve

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2004, 07:23:49 am »

Oh OK, fair enough, was thinking that myself, but thought a tick box on the sync screen would be the preferred option to 'suppress unsupported filetype errors', but no matter, I see what yer saying.

Not having reached my iPod capacity (yet!) nor needing to create a iPod sync smartlist, I assume I create a smartlist/playlist with the music/albums/artists I want iPod to have & then sync that smartlist alone?

On another note, the last few builds have seen sync speed  drop from 13-14Mb to around 8-9Mb, is this permanent? as the longer sync is noticable on a 40GB iPod. (Using USB2.0 btw)

SteveG

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2004, 09:11:50 am »

Penfold,

Thanks for understanding regarding the suppress error. Even though that might be helpful, it starts down the path of becoming too confusing and specialized of an option in the bigger picture.

Anway, definitely start creating smartlists/playlists, they are great tools for organizing what you will listen to on iPod. If you don't select 'Delete unselected files' during synching, the playlists will just be added. In your case, where you don't appear to have any playlists on iPod, this would be a good option. Eventually if your tunes exceed the iPod limit, you may want to get all of your tunes in different playlists, and then the sync will take care of removing and putting your selections on iPod.

In regards to the slowness, nothing has changed for many builds regarding this. It may be hardware related or moon cycle related  ;). Seriously, check if you are getting similar speed with either applications or by dragging and dropping files directly on iPod from explorer (if you do the latter, delete the files after you transfer them).

Steve

pank2002

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2004, 02:25:08 pm »

Steve,
  I don't know if this is your account or somebody els'. Well, I wanted to see the artist on my iPod, and a realised that one is only able to see it in the tree view. I would be awesome to see it in the panes. Would ('cause I'm sure you could) imply panes in the iPod view? Please   :-*
  It would be great to have panes in playlists too.

Thanks in advance
  - Rasmus
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

SteveG

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2004, 05:52:56 pm »

Rasmus,

This is a change that is planned for a future version, but not immediately.  Thanks for bringing it back up.

Steve
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up