INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Between players  (Read 3542 times)

8thNote

• Junior Woodchuck
Between players
« on: April 17, 2004, 12:45:25 pm »

I'm trying to decide on a hard drive portable digital audio player. I think I've narrowed my choices down to the following four players.

Neuros 40GB Digital Audio computer
I like this player's feature set and integration. The open community and upgradable backpack HD are big pluses.

Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 or 60 GB Zen
These for their superior audio quality, lots of storage, and easy on-device playlist creation (though I'm not sure how much I'll use that).

Archos AV140
This thing looks awesome for its video capabilites, but I don't know if it supports WMA. I'm also not sure if I'd really need the video features.

Basically, I'm looking for the following features.
  • 40GB or more storage.
  • Easy integration with MediaCenter 9.1. I don't want or like any other music software out there.
  • An FM transmitter would be awesome because I commute 2.5 hours a day and I may get a car without a cassette player (for the adapter).
  • MP3 recording via line-in and internal mic.
  • Logical navigation. I want something where I can navigate by artist, album, genre, or a combination of any of those three (e.g. genre-artist-album).
  • Decent battery life.
  • FM tuner would be cool, but not necessary (AM would be better, but still not a big need).
  • Size doesn't matter too much to me because I won't walk around with it. Just in my car or on my desk.
  • USB 2.0 or Firewire support.
  • Can double as an external HD.
  • I'd like this below $400 or $10 per GB.

I really liked the Samsung Yepp but it's only 20GB, the iRiver iHP140 is awesome but too expensive and still lacking some things I want.

If you know some good websites with reviews (other than the obvious c|Net and PCWorld) or MP3 player forums, please let me know.

Thanks!

Mysticeti

• World Citizen
  • music, SCUBA, movies, VR, multimedia, PCs
Re:Between players
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 04:07:23 pm »

Ditto the website question... Anyone know of a good web site that reviews MP3 players and offers a break down of players based on storage type: flash memory vs hard drive vs CD based?

Thanks!
"And the men who hold high places. Must be the ones who start... to mold a new reality. Closer to the Heart."

pank2002

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 04:35:09 pm »

Dapreview.com is pretty good for HD players.
You can also check out head-fi.org --> portable audio, it's likely you can find reviews there.

Note, I would go for the Creative. It's just a nice audiophile player and it got lineout (for use in car) plus really good battery life (with two gumsticks.) I don't think any player supports AM though.
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

LonWar

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 06:46:28 pm »

Creative Nomad Jukebox 3
This player is now discontinued. Also only available in a 20gb player.
or 60 GB Zen
This seems like a great little player. Almost identical to the Jukebox 3, except the size. Also this only supports 1 battery, 11hrs. The JB3 had slots for 2 batteries.

I used to have a JB3, My car got broken into this weekend,  :'(
When I but another player it will definately be the 40gb zen xtra, The JB3 has amazing connectivity with MC10, (There is a ton of differences with 10 over 9.1 with the handhelds....

You can also download the manual from Creative labs and take a look.
-

pank2002

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 09:22:34 am »

I think they've rereleased it in a 40gig version, but which can be obtained for about around 400. You can get an equal zen for 300. No line out and long battery life though.

8thNote

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 09:29:18 am »

The Zen is awesome, but I forgot to mention that I have to have recording abilities, which the Zen appears to be lacking.

pank2002

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 04:28:41 pm »

Line in or just a crappy one (like in the remote) ?
  I you need line in the iHP is the best option. If it for lectures I think you would be good with any old, mean crap recorder.

8thNote

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 05:47:40 pm »

The Neuros has an internal mic, FM recording, and line-in recording.
Pages: [1]   Go Up