INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Won't recognize MP3 player  (Read 1634 times)

Jeff9999

Won't recognize MP3 player
« on: November 18, 2002, 05:26:36 am »

Any thoughts about why MJ8 won't recognize my iPaq PA-1? I downloaded the plug-in, and the icon is listed on the handhelds menu. But I get a screen telling me it can't find the device and to make sure the device is connected (which it is) and to make sure I have the necessary drivers (which Microsoft assures me are there). I'm running XP Home.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Won't recognize MP3 player
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2002, 05:53:15 am »

Maybe the system isn't either. The way to check (assuming this is a USB device) is to look at the system tray for the "Unplug Device" (I think that's what it is called). Dbl click on the icon...do you see the iPaq? If not then that's the initial problem. It should of came with it's own drivers...install them. Use the iPaq software to download tunes to it. Does it work?

10-27

mickwe

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2002, 05:55:56 am »

Hi Jeff
Did you ever get this resolved?
I am having the same kind of problems
Where did yuou get the plugin for you IPAQ??
Thanks for any help

Jeff9999

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2002, 06:16:48 am »

Thanks for the input, but Windows actually does recognize the device. Or at least that's what my adventures in device manager land and with the Windows troubleshooter revealed.

I have had similar problems with the Windows Media Player, v. 8, and I'm beginning to wonder if this is a compatibility problem with XP.

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2002, 06:22:03 am »

Mickwe and Jeff,

Can you let me know if you can successfully have your PC recognize the player and transfer files using the software that came with the iPaq?

Thanks,

Steve (J River)

mickwe

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2002, 06:25:36 am »

Well I don't see the "unplug Device Icon" in the system tray but it does show up in my Device manager and My Rio software that came with the Ipaq recognises it.
I sthere a plug in for my Ipaq for Media Jukebox 8

Jeff9999

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2002, 06:25:51 am »

Steve G...

Well, yes and no. Windows recognizes the player when I use the software that came with the iPaq -- RioPort -- but the RioPort crashes after transferring six or seven tunes and I get an odd message from the Windows media plyer telling me I need to format the memory card.

Pretty nifty, huh?

And Mickwe, the plug-in is on the MJ plug-ins page.

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2002, 01:23:09 pm »

Jeff,

Thanks for fielding Mickwe's question.

There are possibly a lot of things wrong here. Is there any way you can format the card and retest? Is it possible to remove all drivers other than RioPort? We actually rely on their drivers for iPaq, but it is quite possible your drivers are corrupted.

Steve

Jeff9999

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2002, 02:22:12 am »

Steve:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by taking off all of the other drivers. I have formatted the memory cards a couple of times, to no avail, using RioPort. I have also installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled the RioPort software several times. And for good measure, I have used device manager to remove and reinstall the iPaq driver that comes with Windows.

For what it's worth, there is an updated driver on the Compaq web site that Windows tells me not to install, since it doesn't seem to be XP compliant. On the Windows site, it says the iPaq driver runs with Media Player 7. Needless to say, my XP came with Media Player 8.

SteveG

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2002, 05:18:18 am »

Jeff,

If you are not having any success using RioPort, that is a strong indicator that there is some kind of driver conflict. The Rio Drivers are a total pain and getting the right version installed can be difficult. If you want to pursue this further, email me at steve @ jriver.com and I can make a Plug-in that we can use to debug this. Unfortunately, I can't duplicate your problem so I am out of suggestions other than this.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up