INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dell DJ Support?  (Read 5379 times)

rar2667

Dell DJ Support?
« on: April 19, 2004, 07:42:00 pm »

Just wondering if there had been any further work on a plug-in for the Dell Digital Jukebox?

Andy Rogers

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Dell DJ Support?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 09:36:23 am »

Not yet. We are getting close to being ready to move on creation of new custom plugins. Rio Karma, iRiver and Dell are on the list.

Steve

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 10:36:20 am »

Add me to the list of those looking forward to a plug-in for the Dell DJ.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 12:56:26 pm »

I just ordered a Dell DJ and I DON'T want to use MusicMatch.  Until the Plug-In arrives, how can I use MC10 with the DJ?

My understanding is that Playlists won't move over.  That's OK for now, but will I be able to select songs in MC10 and send them to the DJ?  Also, will I be able to access songs on the DJ within categories like: Artist, Album, Genre?

Lastly, besides the DJ driver, would I need to install the DJ Explorer program or anything else?

Thanks to anyone who can help.  I think there are many Dell DJ owners or would be owners who are looking for an alternative to using the included MusicMatch software.  What better choice than Media Center 10?

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 04:06:01 pm »

BullishDad,

The Dell Jukebox can be seen and accessed from MC if you go to Tools->Options->Devices and check the box for 'Enable WMDM support'. Files will transfer and they are viewable by Artist, Album, Genre, etc. The DJ driver should be enough.

Please let me know if you hit any snags.

Steve

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 10:36:19 am »

Steve, thanks for the reply.

I should be receiving the unit in a few days and I've been thinking about how I will transfer about 1000 tracks to the DJ.  

Last night, I created a new Library and imported roughly 900 MP3Gain adjusted tracks into the library.

My next step was going to be changes in the library to genre and artist names so that the groupings are better.

Now Im wondering whether or not these changes will show up on the DJ using the WMDM transfer.  I've never quite understood the relationship between Tag Info, FileName and the Library.  Will I need to use any of the Library Tools first, like Rename FileName from Properties or Update Tags(from library)?

Sorry for asking more questions, I just don't want to make a mess of this.

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 11:06:15 am »

When you change the information in MC, the tag info is changed in the file unless you deselect that option in Tools->Options->General (it is on by default).  Once the tag is changed, that is what is stored in the file and ultimately what is sent to the player and those changes will show when you use the WMDM to transfer the file. No need to use the options for Rename FileName from properties, etc.

Steve

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 11:19:35 am »

That is great news!  I will go ahead and make the changes in the MC Library.  I'll report back (most likely early next week) when I have completed the transfers. Thanks again.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 09:00:40 pm »

Well, I got my Dell DJ and I was able to transfer tracks using MC10, and I never had to install MusicMatch. Yay. Nice little machine.

A plug-in would be welcome so that Playlists could be created and sync'd.  I've learned that the DJ is made by Creative for Dell and I've noticed quite a few similarities to my Nomad Jukebox 2 (that the DJ is replacing).  Since a lot effort has been given to the Nomad/Zen plug-in, maybe the Dell DJ plug-in can make use of it somehow.

A lot of people on the Dell Community Forum speak highly of RedChair's Dudebox Explorer program.  I don't think I'll need Dudebox , but if MC10 can provide similar functionality, I imagine many DJ owners would gladly go for MC10 instead because of everything else MC can do that Dudebox can't.

SteveG

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 09:28:14 am »

BullishDad,

Thanks for the update. We will try to get playlist support in as soon as we can.

Thanks,

Steve

rar2667

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2004, 12:45:47 pm »

I was just checking again to see if the latest build did anything for my Dell DJ, but it seems real unresponsive under build 10.0.138. Whenever I click on it or try to expand the contents, I get Server Busy box which won't go away.

Any idea what to do to clear that up? Also...any eta on a plug-in?

Thanks all.

SteveG

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2004, 01:11:38 pm »

rar2667,

Do you have WMDM support enabled (under Tools->Options->Devices)? If not, please enable it. Do you have similar issues when accessing the Dell with WMP?

No eta at this time, no response from Dell.

Steve

rar2667

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2004, 10:33:05 pm »

SteveG...Yes WMDM is enabled. I hadn't ever tried with WMP until just now...seems OK. What exactly is the "other program" referred to in this message..
"This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy.."

When I choose Switch-to, it just brings up the Windows Start menu.

It seems to be a MC message because it has the MC icon in the upper left corner.

Any other help?
Thanks

SteveG

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2004, 09:50:32 am »

rar2667,

It is actually a message from Windows, but skinned to look like MC. I can add code to make that box go away, but I have not seen this. Is anyone else seeing this warning with the Dell? If so, is it the same as rar2667 in that it appears when expanding the tree?

Steve

jaydpb

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2004, 12:30:27 pm »

Steve

I get the same message when trying to access my DJ in MC. I does eventually (after a long wait) go away and I can move through the tree but when I try to sync MC crashes.

SteveG

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2004, 03:38:37 pm »

I will test this more next week. After a brief test, I cannot duplicate this.

Steve

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2004, 06:05:22 pm »

rar2667,

No eta at this time, no response from Dell.

Steve

Steve, is there anything I can do to help this along?  Maybe there is a contact at Dell I can write to?

I went thru a process to re-create a playlist which was a real pain.  Playlist support would have made it a breeze.

SteveG

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2004, 07:26:13 am »

BullishDad,

Finding a contact at Dell is the problem. I will email them again next week, but if you want to try contacting them, that would be great, but I don't hold out great hope for a response.  

I will also try to come up with another way to approach this problem.

Steve

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2004, 01:17:33 pm »

I've started a thread on the Dell Community Forum for the Dell Digital Jukebox, and made a similar comment in the Suggestion Thread.

Hopefully, this will evoke a response from Dell.  

Fellow MC10 users may wish to add your support for a DJ plug-in by commenting in the thread listed in the Dell Community forum.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dce_djmusic&message.id=15380
Note: I think you have to register in order to post.

rar2667

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2004, 04:18:03 pm »

BullishDad/SteveG

I have added my 2 cents to the Dell forum as well...hope that helps.

My company has bought around 9,000 Dell PCs this year, so I'll work on finding a contact on the corporate side, too.

Keep digging.....

Thanks

SteveG

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2004, 10:53:13 am »

Thanks to all.

Steve

rar2667

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2004, 02:04:55 pm »

SteveG,

Here is the response from our corporate rep at Dell. If Creative Labs OEMs these, then it probably makes sense to go to the source.

"I would recommend that you talk to Creative Labs.  You can contact one of these two guys.
Thor Mitskog
tmitskog @ creativelabs.com

Todd Kerper
tkerper @ creativelabs.com"

Hope this helps...thanks for working on this.
Andy Rogers

Pages: [1]   Go Up