INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Track counted as "played"?  (Read 2681 times)

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
Track counted as "played"?
« on: April 16, 2004, 05:08:07 pm »

Can anybody please tell me when MC10 counts a track as having been "played" for the purposes of sorting on "last played" on a Smartlist?

I assumed it had to run through to the end but I had 1 track that appeared as having been played when I'd only listened to about 50% of it.

John

lee269

• Citizen of the Universe
  • sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
Re:Track counted as "played"?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 10:28:34 am »

John

AFAIK when youve played >50% MC counts that as a 'play' for incrementing the number of plays etc.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 10:33:32 am »

John

AFAIK when youve played >50% MC counts that as a 'play' for incrementing the number of plays etc.

i don't think that is true.

I think what it is is when the song switches to the next (last 5 seconds) it is then counted as played.

what you can do is play it move the play bar to near the end.

that would be a nice option to count played at a % so a user could set it to 25%, 50% etc... and at that point mc would count the song as played.

I have often thought about this and wished i could set where MC counts "Played" at.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

lee269

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 10:48:17 am »

King - Im pretty sure Im right.

Just checked with the Smashing Pumpkins track '17' which is 17 seconds long and Sparklehorse - Box of Stars (part 1) at 34 secs long. If play them and stop just before half time, number of plays and last played do not change. If I stop at just over 50% both fields get updated. Its not too scientific of course, but I dont think the 'play' point is the last 5 seconds. Using v10.0.116.

For me a user specified play point would be an option too far, but thats because I cant think of a use I would have for it. Different strokes.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 11:31:13 am »

I stand corrected, it seems it is doing as you say.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 12:07:40 pm »

How about for pictures?

Anyone know what it takes to get a pic to count as played.  When I send some pic to the playing now via a smartlist, they go through a 2 second per view slideshow, and the last played info does NOT get updated.  How long do I have to view a pic for it to get dcounted?
pretend this is something funny

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2004, 12:10:55 pm »

I don't think I would never import pictures into MC.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

lee269

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2004, 12:35:02 pm »

Justin

My image playback is set for image change every 5 sec. Ive tried just now quite a number of times, and Im not sure I can click fast enough, but it seems to me that number plays and last played gets updated as soon as the image is displayed.

I dunno about the 'play' threshold, but in my install of v116 with my settings it seems like image play info gets updated instantly. Certainly my experience differs from yours in that it seems whatever images are in playing now get updated with play info, although I havent adjusted slideshow settings to your 2 sec.

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2004, 01:21:21 pm »

Thanks guys for taking the trouble to reply - I'll conduct a couple of trail runs to see where the cutoff point for audio tracks is. Don't use MC for my image files so can't help there.

John

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2004, 11:01:57 am »

I don't think I would never import pictures into MC.

Okay, but i do.

lee269, I'll download the latest, and try again.  Thanks for the info.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2004, 03:13:13 pm »

If that's how it works then that has loads of drawbacks.   For example I listen to a lot of Mike Oldfield who does tracks of 60 minutes in length.   So I have to listen for 30 minutes before they get classed as played?   That's longer than EPs!

I think a minute or two of continuous playing would be a good compromise.

jj.oneil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2004, 04:33:06 pm »

Ages ago, i noticed just playing a section in the last 50% of the song increments the played count. Dunno if thats still the case, i've never really use the played count.

Cheers, JJ
listening to KEXP.org or 'john peel' on my stereo recorded some time last week

fex

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2004, 04:36:36 pm »

RhinoBanga,

No, that would be a cheat. Definitively. Keep it as it is.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2004, 08:14:11 pm »

Images do not seem to have their last played info updated properly.  As I said above, I send many pict to playing now and have them scroll in 2 second slideshows.  The last played info shows the last time it was played before this recent time (I assume that what the time reflects, since there is a time)

More 'testing' seems to reveal that an image must be viewed for 5 seconds before the last played info updated.

Can this be changed?  Or at the very least made configurable?  I just never view my images longer than a few seconds (2-3) when I have them playing as a slideshow (I bore easily)

Sauzee

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2004, 08:33:25 pm »

I like the way MC currently works for play count on audio files :)

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2004, 01:04:18 am »

No, that would be a cheat.

Why?

Definitively. Keep it as it is.

Consider this.   Most pop songs are 3-4 minutes long and MC would classify them as played after 1.5-2 minutes.   However if you listen to something that has held your attention for 6x longer than that MC still does not consider it as played.   Doesn't sound right to me.

Wile E. One

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2004, 06:10:55 am »

This argument was had a few months ago (can't remember how many exactly). I believe it used to be that the play count would update in the last 5 seconds or so.... people didn't like that... so they changed it to 50%.

I can't find the thread at the moment...but it should be listed in a Beta build change list somewhere. Could be up to 5 or 6 months back now.

Most pop songs are 3-4 minutes long and MC would classify them as played after 1.5-2 minutes.

This is true, but "most" has never pleased MC users... as we tend to be picky enough to need a good solution for all instances (i.e. short songs, long songs, and photos).
Now isn't this just typical of whereever this is?

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2004, 06:43:35 am »

That's why I mentioned after a couple of minutes of continuous playing it should be marked as played.

Remember the point of the played count is to help identify frequently played tracks.

If MC doesn't consider the fact that I can play the same song 20 times in a row for 29 out of it's 60 minutes as a frequently played song then I think it's algorithm needs to be refactored.

Sauzee

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2004, 07:46:34 am »

But if it was changed we may end up getting songs classed as played when we don't want it.  At the moment I can listen to the first half of any song, e.g. to check a rip, and know that it won't count as played.

If for some reason I want to mark a song I don't play more than half way through, as played [doesn't happen a lot], I simply skip to the end of the file and it's done.

The current system is simple and easy to understand, in my view

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2004, 08:23:06 am »

But if it was changed we may end up getting songs classed as played when we don't want it.

As it stands it's not counting songs that I listen to frequently.

At the moment I can listen to the first half of any song, e.g. to check a rip, and know that it won't count as played.

That's why I said continuous so you could, say, check 100 seconds of the beginning of a track, click on the progress bar to go to another section, listen to some more, etc, etc.

lee269

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2004, 08:25:55 am »

But if it was changed we may end up getting songs classed as played when we don't want it.

I often take advantage of the 50% rule to avoid this. Im pretty happy with 50% as a decent compromise, but I can hear an absent friend saying 'make it an option, make it an option!'

Rhino, if you're not listening to Amarok all the way through you're doing it a disservice. Once you get past Faith Brown theres a really good finale :)

I'd happily listen more often to the 'Soon' bit from Yes's The Gates of Delirium. It starts about 75% in - how should that count?

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2004, 08:32:06 am »

Rhino, if you're not listening to Amarok all the way through you're doing it a disservice. Once you get past Faith Brown theres a really good finale :)

LOLOL ... I rarely listen to Amarok ... it's either The Songs Of Distant Earth or Ommadawn.

I'd happily listen more often to the 'Soon' bit from Yes's The Gates of Delirium.

Heathen ;)

It starts about 75% in - how should that count?

It should get counted as played ... you did sit down and listen to it after all :D

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2004, 11:09:24 am »

I should think that any song you listen to for more than 3 minutes (in a row/continuously) should count as played.  3 minutes outta be considered a commitment to music, no matter how long the song is.

I also have some tracks that are measured in hours, and I think a few minutes of listening outta count.

But, what do I know ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up