INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod and AAC and iTunes tips  (Read 10578 times)

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
iPod and AAC and iTunes tips
« on: April 20, 2004, 05:05:03 pm »

If you ever fully format your iPod (not just initialize it) and you want to enable AAC playback, you must transfer one AAC file one time using iTunes. This creates a license file on iPod which will enable playback.  If you intialize iPod later, playback will still work.

If you want iTunes to stop grabbing iPod, click on the iPod icon at the bottom of iTunes (when iPod is attached) and deselect the checkbox for 'Open iTunes when attached'.

Edit:  And Park's addition from below:
In itunes preferences:

General tab: untick "make itunes default player for audio files"

Advanced tab: Untick "keep itunes music folder organised" & "copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library"

Doing this will ensure that itunes doesnt move the music you carefully named and organised in MC.

Lumsmore

• Change this by choosing profile
Re:iPod and AAC and iTunes tips
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 07:11:51 am »

I did this (after freshly formatting the iPod and synching all files in MC) and when I returned back to MC, I get an error message:

"Error Reading Database. Reinitialize iPod and resynch"

SteveG

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 11:27:34 am »

Lumsmore,

It sounds like iTunes messed up your database. Try right clicking on your iPod drive letter and select 'Rebuild Database from iPod'. This will recreate your iPod database and remove your playlists. After this, you should be able to resync to get your playlists back.

If that fails, reinitialize iPod and you should be all set for AAC playback with no need to send anything from iTunes.

Steve

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 10:07:52 pm »

Other useful points to remember:

In itunes preferences:

General tab: untick "make itunes default player for audio files"

Advanced tab: Untick "keep itunes music folder organised" & "copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library"

Doing this will ensure that itunes doesnt move the music you carefully named and organised in MC.

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 09:04:09 am »

Thanks park.

Steve

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 11:38:47 pm »

I'm confused what the "rebuild database from iPod" function does.  Where is the database that's being rebuilt located, and how is it being rebuilt?  The iPod is scanned every time I unselect/reselect the iPod.  If MC is keeping a database for the iPod in memory, what is happening when the iPod is re-scanned?

Thanks for clarifying this,

Larry

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 10:38:05 am »

Larry,

The database that is being rebuilt is the iTunesDB file on the iPod. It is being rebuilt by analyzing what files are on the iPod and creating a database that is readable by iPod from the information.

Steve

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 06:36:26 am »

So it rebuilds a list on the iPod based on files on the iPod.  This means it has no effect on the information/files/database in MC, correct?  I'm still unclear about the circumstance where this would be necessary.  Would this be need if you transferred files to the iPod with a program other than MC?

Thanks again for clarification,

Larrh

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 09:25:25 am »

This means it has no effect on the information/files/database in MC, correct?

Yes.

This would be necessary if the data in the iPod database gets corrupted and has flaws that cannot be fixed with a resync.  This option is to save the time it would take to resend all the files to a reinitialized iPod.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up