INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import file problems  (Read 1748 times)

mbahgirl

Import file problems
« on: January 14, 2005, 09:35:17 pm »

G'day  I am having problems getting media center to list all the mp3 files on my computer... it looks in the HDD that I tell it to but finds 0 files and locks up Media Center.  What is wrong?  Can anyone please help me?  A friend got me on to J River but I'm not having the success he had with it.

Julie

himini

• Recent member
Re: Import file problems
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 12:05:22 am »

I think you better provide more details.  By the way, it might be best to keep all your music files in one folder (and subfolders) and have MC search only that folder, rather than having MC search your entire hard drive.  Just a suggestion.
MC 11 registered
Win XP SP 1a
Samsung 352B combo drive
Sony DRU 510-A DVD burner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 08:18:57 am »

... it might be best to keep all your music files in one folder (and subfolders) and have MC search only that folder, rather than having MC search your entire hard drive.
This is not necessary.  It doesn't matter where the files are, if they're on the local PC.  If they're on the network, there are other possible problems (other software, other hardware that may not work).

himini

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 05:12:24 pm »

This is not necessary.  It doesn't matter where the files are, if they're on the local PC.  If they're on the network, there are other possible problems (other software, other hardware that may not work).

I realize this is not "necessary," but I've had problems in the past with MC (and other programs) importing from hard drives in their entirety.  Not only does this process take an unnecessarily long time, but it seems to me that certain types of files muck up the importing process, and I could see this freezing MC.  I mean let's face it, even though MC is the greatest software of its kind, it's not exactly rock solid stable.  I've just always found it easier (and much faster) to put my music in particular directories first.  And if stability is an issue, it seems to me this would be a good first step in the troubleshooting process.

OK I'll shut up now-- I didn't mean to imply this was a necessity, just my personal preference.
MC 11 registered
Win XP SP 1a
Samsung 352B combo drive

mbahgirl

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 06:53:45 pm »

HI...yes sorry about the lack of info.  My file are all in one folder then in subfolders below that.

the version I have is 10 and was working fine when i had the trail version but it ended so I deleted the trail hoping to reinstall for another 30 days (of course it didn't work) I now have the licensed version but it just won't find the files and import them to the library.

it shows it searching but 0 files found while it is and then locks up MC (ctrl/alt/delete i s the only way of exiting the program).

I'm feeling sad because as an ex musicmatch jukebox user this was supposed to be better with it's database and search facility.

thanks
 :-\ Julie

himini

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 07:35:00 pm »

Just guessing here but I wonder if you have some corrupt mp3s in there.  Probably the first thing I would try is copying only some of your files (20 songs or so) to a new directory and pointing MC only to that folder.  If it works you might have one or more bad mp3s in your collection (there have been a lot of bad ones lately floating around on p2p networks, for example). 

If it doesn't work then you may have a larger problem.  Did you try completely uninstalling your previous version(s) before installing the new one?  You may want to try again.  Have you been having any other problems with other applications locking up?  It's possible that you have a hardware issue (RAM, hdd?).  And of course there's always the possibility of viruses, adware, etc mucking things up; have you scanned for these lately?

I've never had this exact problem myself so it's a tough one for me.  Hopefully someone else who has had similar problems can offer suggestions soon.  Operating System (and which service packs you have installed) may be helpful.  Might be good to post hardware info as well (like type of hard drive, mobo, RAM etc).   Good luck and for heaven's sake don't go back to Musicmatch.
MC 11 registered
Win XP SP 1a
Samsung 352B combo drive

mbahgirl

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 06:42:58 pm »

Hi,

my system... athlon 1.0 ghz, 120 gig hdd, 512mgb ram and the o/s is xp pro with service pack 2 installed. sorry i don't know the make and manufacturer of the m/b , hdd or ram.

all mp3s are ripped from my cd collection and have worked before.  individual songs when clicked on will play in MC.

anti virus and adware are contiually updated and efficient. I have scanned the disks, and defragged.

previous MC was uninstalled (i thought this might have been my problem).

no other problems to report at this stage...

I have music match still installed and I'm using that for now (at least it works even if the database is slow!

cheers

himini

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 11:39:33 pm »

Sorry no one else has replied here-- I can't think of much else besides trying to install a different version of MC.  If that doesn't make any difference either, it's probably some strange combination of factors causing the problem.

If you haven't yet tried making a test directory with only a few songs in it, I still think this would be a good troubleshooting step.  If this succeeds, it could still be that you have a corrupt file somewhere.  You also may want to give memtest (http://www.memtest86.com/) a try in order to rule out a RAM problem; here's the download to create a bootable floppy:

http://www.memtest86.com/memt32.zip

And you could also search the web for a good hard drive diagnostic tool if you suspect your hdd to be involved.

The fact that you have Service Pack 2 worries me a little; and I'm wondering about security settings too with XP Pro, but I can't think of anything specific that would cause your problem (you are signed on as administrator aren't you?)  Are any of your mp3s marked as read-only?  I'm grasping at straws I guess.  Have you tried cleaning your registry with regcleaner after uninstalling?
MC 11 registered
Win XP SP 1a
Samsung 352B combo drive

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 07:52:49 am »

How long have you let it run before you killed it?

Try clearing the library (under File) and letting it go overnight.

Please copy your system info from MC Help and paste it here.

drb

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 02:11:29 pm »

Hi,
My 2 cents. I have had this problem before and still. At one point of time i figured that the realmedia files were causing the problem. When I removed it -everything worked fine.

However, any addition of new mp3 cannot be added to database either by going to explorer folder and selecting the files and import or just copying to the music folders and asking MC to update.

As told, it hangs up at 0 and nothing happens. I have left it for 1 hr max. Luckily MC closes with a blink of an eye when pressed Ctrl Alt Del.

Currently I am not using MC, but waiting for MC11 to see if that is problem free for me atleast.

drb
Pages: [1]   Go Up