INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does it take so long to scroll through lists  (Read 1953 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
Why does it take so long to scroll through lists
« on: April 01, 2004, 10:09:46 am »

Whenever I scroll through a list of music, it takes quite a while to scroll 1 page (7 seconds to display 41 songs)  If I go back up it's (nearly) instant, so it must be cached, but why so long on the first viewing?  Thumbnails don't take that long to display ?

Yeah, I have a largeish library (7200 songs, and 30,000 pics), but not that big.

If I scan a list of things in Excel or Access, it's nearly an instant refresh as I page down.  But MC takes forever by comparison.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact the the name is linked to a file located elsewhere, but there must be some way disassociate that link for the sake of viewing names.  It just seems way too slow for what is being done.  And I have a fast machine.

Any ideas?
pretend this is something funny

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Why does it take so long to scroll through lists
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 10:16:24 am »

We check to make sure that files exist the first time you look at them so the little red-x thing can work.

If your files are on a slow drive or network this may cause a little lag.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 10:18:26 am »

Network.

Any way to make this 'double-check' optional.  I'd rather just show the files fast, and worry about whether they really exist or not later.

Anyone else?

Thanks for the quick response Matt!

52girl52

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 10:28:06 am »

The reason 'JustinChase' is slow, is because he is a running a 386-40 machine with 64k of memory. We just know he wants to get his money worth out of this computer.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 10:45:53 am »

The reason 'JustinChase' is slow, is because he is a running a 386-40 machine with 64k of memory. We just know he wants to get his money worth out of this computer.

Media Center Registered 10.0.103 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2771 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 151 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive D: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R6112  Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: TOSHIBA  DVD-ROM SD-R6112   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 10:56:34 am »

Next build will check on a delay, so scrolling should be better.

Let us know.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 11:33:32 am »

Sweet,

[wrings hands together]

I can't wait..

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 02:59:45 pm »

It's better, but wierd.

Now it will show the page almost instantly, but theres still a few second lag from when I hit the page down before the page loads (quickly).  I'm not sure where you built the lag, but maybe a longer lag would scroll faster/better.

It certainly looks like you're on the right path.

Thanks for this, a little better would be great, but if it's a pain, I can wait.

You guys rock!

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 06:45:00 pm »

Matt, the delay you guys implemented a week or so ago makes the first one or 2 page down screens display quite quickly, but after that, it still takes about 5 seconds to display the next page down.  It used to take 7 seconds, so it's definately better, and thanks for that.

But (there's always a but), is there any way to either increase this delay you introduced, or perhaps, make scrolling have priority over checking against the database, no matter what.  If I shift-click to the middle of the list, that view comes up pretty quick, but the next click is slow.  If you could allow the display to draw without checking the database, we could scroll as fast as we want, and when we stop, the database checking can begin, until we try to scroll again, then checking will pause, until we stop scrolling.

Or maybe, the database checking can always be done in the background, i.e. it will check the entire list, whether or not it's visible, so when we go to scroll it's already been verified, again, it would need to stop checking if we scrolled before the check was finished, but once it's done, it's done.

Again, I have no programming experience, so maybe this is all hogwash (haven't heard/used that work in quite some time), but the fact that you were able to add this delay so quickly in the first place gives me hope that another little tweak will solve all my scrolling issues.

As a reminder, my entire database 7500 songs, 30,000 images are all stored on a LINUX server mapped in Windows.

Thanks

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 11:50:53 am »

Matt, any idea if something more can be done with this, or 'not at this time' ?

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up