INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod 2.2 firmware & lossless encoding  (Read 2419 times)

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
iPod 2.2 firmware & lossless encoding
« on: April 29, 2004, 09:21:31 am »

Anyone installed the latest firmware from Apple yet? How's it playing with MC?

With Apple's support of lossless encoding, albeit with their own format, will anyone be making the switch to use lossless with their iPods?

Best,
Brad

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
Re: iPod 2.2 firmware & lossless encoding
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 02:23:15 am »

Has anyone done this ?

Marsies .....

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 05:03:24 pm »

Really no one  ?

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 02:09:18 am »

Well, the firmware upgrade was no trouble in and of itself.

As for the lossless options, your only choice (if you want to continue using MC) is to put WAVs or AIFFs on the iPod.

Apple's Lossless Codec is still proprietary to iTunes (unless those enterprising FooBar2k developers have done something recently). You are out of luck if you want to use any of the more 'standard' lossless codecs.

Best,
brad

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 02:16:17 am »

Brad, thanks for the reply.

The Apple upgrade is very EASY. Only using lossless without using WAV's is a challenge. What are AIFF's? In I don't know a way to convert my apes from the MC database to Apple lossless. That's what I prefer. Using WAV is not really an option. Even a 60GB iPod is small for me.

Do you know a board where I could find more info about apps that could do the trick. I will just copy my ape's to a directory and use a tool to upload them to my iPod (inluding tag info).

Marsies .....

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 09:05:21 am »

The Apple upgrade is very EASY. Only using lossless without using WAV's is a challenge. What are AIFF's? In I don't know a way to convert my apes from the MC database to Apple lossless. That's what I prefer. Using WAV is not really an option. Even a 60GB iPod is small for me.

I think AIFF stands for Audio Interchange File Format. It has historically been Apple's type of WAV file, from back before Macintoshes could understand WAVs. Fewer people use them these days, since everyone knows about WAV files. It's really no better than WAVs for iPod use.

Do you know a board where I could find more info about apps that could do the trick. I will just copy my ape's to a directory and use a tool to upload them to my iPod (inluding tag info).

When I have difficult audio problems, I usually check out the forums at http://www.hydrogenaudio.org

Good luck...
brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up