INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will you upgrade to iPod 2.2?  (Read 5229 times)

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
  • Absence of alternatives clears the mind nicely.
Will you upgrade to iPod 2.2?
« on: April 29, 2004, 11:42:21 am »

So, the new iPod firmware 2.2 is out. Will you upgrade right away to 2.2 or will you wait to see the fallout first? I will wait about a week and see if the early adopters are buzzed or burned.  ;)

bobrock

• Recent member
Re:Will you upgrade to iPod 2.2?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 12:18:15 pm »

To be honest I don't see what's NEW in 2.2 firmware...

Losless AAC, who cares.
WMV -> AAC (who cares of this ?!)

I was hoping of at least 2 things in new firmware

1. Crossfading capability (shame ipod is not capable to provide it)
2. Time synchronization between PC/Mac and iPod (trivial but lack of this feature is really annoying)

mooseman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 07:15:24 pm »

already did.  Haven't noticed any issues.

TimB

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 09:11:09 pm »

Which Gen's is it for?

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

SouthsideIrish

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 09:51:39 pm »

There is one version of the firmware that will work on all iPod's, no matter what generation. As always, the features you will be able to use will depend on what generation iPod you have, but all should be able to use lossless.

Bill McNair

dougf

• Recent member
  • hmm....
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 03:36:44 pm »

I did - certainly better graphics are a plus, including a much better battery monitor than my old version.

d

ph_bradley

• World Citizen
  • Shagadelic Baby!!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 03:48:05 pm »

i did - no noticeable differences yet. i think the main reason for this update was to increase compatibility with the neww version of Itunes

they claim sound quality has been improved

a MUST for people who didn't get 2.1, anyways

to be honest i'm disappointed they didnt do more with this update -  a firmware change could improve so many things, like get rid of photo import, add another game, create a button combination to turn playlist shuffle on/off... etc

but this seems as safe as any other version
Welcome to flipmode

SouthsideIrish

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2004, 09:43:47 am »

Sound quality is much better, and the battery meter works properly so I am happy with the update. Oh, and as a rule Apple doesn't add new features unless there is some reason for them to do it. The two big updates gave us the iTMS and ACC, and now this one with better DRM. Apple is not JRiver, so never expect new features.

Bill McNair

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 07:19:59 pm »

Hmmm, I'm unsure of whether I've installed the right version or not... I've gotten the Ipod Updater from this address: http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/
While it has updated the software, I don't think it did any changes to the firmware. (Unless they are the same...) Anyway, When checking the version of my ipod (settings:about:version) I get 1.4

I'm I doing anything wrong or is it supposed to be that way? Or is there an actual firmware (not software) somewhere else?

Ipod 10gigs 2nd gen...

Thanks,

-Cascius

SouthsideIrish

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 09:23:12 am »

When you go to About in Settings it should show you 2.2 under Version, if it doesn't then you don't have the new firmware. Also, remember to do a restore, rather than an update, and as always this will delete everything from the iPod, so back everything up if needed.

Bill McNair

ranwill

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2004, 03:22:57 pm »

I've tried to upgrade many times. I fill in the info on the upgrade page and click "Download Update", and a new Thank you page appears telling me that the download will start automatically, but nothing ever happens.

Any ideas? Or does anyone have a copy of the update to send me?

Ranwill

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2004, 04:39:44 pm »

Ranwill, make sure you don't have a popup stopper of some sort blocking the download window to appear.

If you still run into this problem, PM me and I'll emai l you the installer.

-Cascius

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2004, 02:39:23 pm »

Hmmm, I'm unsure of whether I've installed the right version or not... I've gotten the Ipod Updater from this address: http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/
While it has updated the software, I don't think it did any changes to the firmware. (Unless they are the same...) Anyway, When checking the version of my ipod (settings:about:version) I get 1.4

I'm I doing anything wrong or is it supposed to be that way? Or is there an actual firmware (not software) somewhere else?

Ipod 10gigs 2nd gen...

Thanks,

-Cascius
You have the new firmware. If you have a new-gen iPod it will say 2.2, if you have an old gen iPod (no dock connector) it will say 1.4.

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2004, 03:21:12 pm »

Ipod 10gigs 2nd gen...

Thanks,

-Cascius
You have the new firmware. If you have a new-gen iPod it will say 2.2, if you have an old gen iPod (no dock connector) it will say 1.4.

Great. Now that's what i call a bugg free upgrade! Thanks for the info

-Cascius
Pages: [1]   Go Up